Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:49 pm

The three coaches are now completed and have had their first outing on the railway today, although cold we have had glorious sunshine.....
IMG_5918.JPG
IMG_5918.JPG (200.68 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
IMG_5920.JPG
IMG_5920.JPG (189.64 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
IMG_5921.JPG
IMG_5921.JPG (185.04 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
Still working on the CRV and just the decals and glazing required to finish. I should be able to do that today so watch this space!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Rain here today sadly so can't runs Andrew Russell again, quite taken with it!

Coaches look great Peter.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Miniature masterpieces. Superb as ever, Peter.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:30 pm

The coaches are beautiful Peter, love the colours :)

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Superb coaches Peter. Please may I ask what shade of red have you used?
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 pm

IanC wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 pm Please may I ask what shade of red have you used?
This is one brand I am not familiar with and unsure whether it is available everywhere, but it is from a local motorist's spares shop, made by MOTIP and called AUTOLACK Acryl. The colour mix is 51481, although it doesn't say what manufacture of car it is suitable for?
I am particularly pleased with the colour and finish, especially with a clear lacquer on top.

Clockwork
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Clockwork » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Beautiful coaches Peter and colours. 8)
Kevin :thumbleft:

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:38 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 pm

This is one brand I am not familiar with and unsure whether it is available everywhere, but it is from a local motorist's spares shop, made by MOTIP and called AUTOLACK Acryl. The colour mix is 51481, although it doesn't say what manufacture of car it is suitable for?
I am particularly pleased with the colour and finish, especially with a clear lacquer on top.
I was curious, because I've come across MOTIP before, but can't remember where, so I went surfing for a few minutes.

Firstly, Autolack paints are available on fleabay, but most seem to come from Germany. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lgc2-Lexus-S ... HqZXzc0jLg

So, I looked a bit deeper and MOTIP seem to be a Swiss company, with an absolutely ginormous range of colours for pretty much every car ever built, plus BS colours etc. I eventually tracked down your 51481 on their list and it appears to be for a Lexus ( don't know which model!) produced from 1993-1995 and the colour is called Wine Red P.2c :lol: :lol: :lol:
The MOTIP colour catalogue pdf is at http://www.farbladen.ch/media/files_pub ... atalog.pdf
The company website is at http://www.farbladen.ch/en/aerosol-spra ... spray.html

As Beattie used to say in the old advert, "All of the colours in all of the sizes"!

BTW Peter, I do like those coaches, they will look spectacular with the CRV on the end.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 am

Peter, I would like them on my line. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The paint is absolutely brilliant, it reminds me of a colour I have seen somewhere, it’s hurting my head trying to remember where…… :scratch: :lol: :lol:

Love the Loco too Peter, is it yours.??

To many bright red coloured coaches on lines I feel.

Can I pretty please have those coaches, :lol: :lol:

They are the best I have seen. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:16 am

philipy wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:38 am

I was curious, because I've come across MOTIP before, but can't remember where, so I went surfing for a few minutes.

Firstly, Autolack paints are available on fleabay, but most seem to come from Germany. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lgc2-Lexus-S ... HqZXzc0jLg

So, I looked a bit deeper and MOTIP seem to be a Swiss company, with an absolutely ginormous range of colours for pretty much every car ever built, plus BS colours etc. I eventually tracked down your 51481 on their list and it appears to be for a Lexus ( don't know which model!) produced from 1993-1995 and the colour is called Wine Red P.2c :lol: :lol: :lol:
The MOTIP colour catalogue pdf is at http://www.farbladen.ch/media/files_pub ... atalog.pdf
The company website is at http://www.farbladen.ch/en/aerosol-spra ... spray.html

As Beattie used to say in the old advert, "All of the colours in all of the sizes"!

BTW Peter, I do like those coaches, they will look spectacular with the CRV on the end.
Thank you Phillip for your time in researching the manufacture. Not many would have the patience too.

They do all the colours you would need and more…

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:59 am

The colour scheme is terrific - it looks even better when you see the coaches in a rake. Wonderful

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:40 am

Thank you all for your comments, I am pleased you like my work. I must say how delighted I am with the way they look, especially the quality of the 'Lineside Hut' kits. I am currently adding to the 'fleet' with a scratch-built 'zoo' car..... Ffestiniog No 1, which will also run in my 'heritage train'.
A special thank you to Philip for your research onto the paint colour, which is most appropriate being called 'Wine Red'.
NB.... I have no connection with Lineside Hut but have said before how impressed with their products I am. A friend has just bought two complete kits from them following my recommendation but is unable to build them himself, so guess where there are now?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:15 am

IanC wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 pm Please may I ask what shade of red have you used?
Thank you Peter. I will investigate the range. I am planning a new rake of coaches and I am struggling to chose a new livery at the moment. I am leaning towards a red at the moment, but as Rod says no a bright one. Furness Indian red appeals with gold lining.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 am Peter, I would like them on my line.
Hi Rod, sorry abut the late reply, busy doing other things!
The loco, 'Lucy' named after one of our previous Springers, is a scratch-built plasticard body on a RC battery controlled GRS chassis. It is a good worker and runs very smoothly.... looks quite nice with the coaches too.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:04 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 pm
FWLR wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 am Peter, I would like them on my line.
Hi Rod, sorry abut the late reply, busy doing other things!
The loco, 'Lucy' named after one of our previous Springers, is a scratch-built plasticard body on a RC battery controlled GRS chassis. It is a good worker and runs very smoothly.... looks quite nice with the coaches too.
Hi Peter, no worries on the reply time mate.

I do love your loco and THOSE coaches…. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm

The CRV is now completed, and I am pretty satisfied with the result having mastered the vagaries of the instructions and learning a lot on the way.
This is not a kit for the beginner and I'm glad I did the passenger coaches first to get used to using the laser cut plywood material for the first time.
IMG_5929.JPG
IMG_5929.JPG (131.43 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
IMG_5940.JPG
IMG_5940.JPG (131.74 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
IMG_5934.JPG
IMG_5934.JPG (105.46 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
Now I have the start of my heritage train set I have begun a scratch-built (return to plasticard) 'Bug Box' and have the main body and chassis ready for detailing. This is done in the same way as the plywood kits with overlays cut and painted before attaching to the structure.
IMG_5936.JPG
IMG_5936.JPG (129.64 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
I love these little coaches and have wanted to make one for some time but only now feel confident enough to make it work.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:36 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 pm The CRV is now completed, and I am pretty satisfied with the result
And so you should be Peter, I've always admired the CRV. Often wondered why there was not matching curly roof pass. cars. I had to check my pics. of the CRV re the "Dogs" door on the side, thought it may have been a Butler mod, but I see it's really there.
Once again a superb job.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:55 am

Superb, as always Peter.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 am

The finish looks great, Peter. Have you considered sending some pictures to Lineside Hut?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:05 am

Now you really are getting my envious Peter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don’t have anything like your'e really superb skills. :notworthy: :notworthy:

My skills have a really long way to go to even make a scratch built coach…But I may have ago soon. These DARK nights are getting longer, so it will be a case of having ago and see how it turns out.

I will even put photos up of the build no matter how it turns out.