Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:54 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:40 pm Hi Philip, I'm afraid I can't show a 'swirl of water', firstly because I have no intention of standing out in rain sufficient to see it happen! However, I can say it definitely works, and very well too, as the areas where the drains are show no surface water at all, whereas, in a couple of dips elsewhere in the road surface, water pools form as I have not been clever enough to manage a fall across the entire space. As long as there is an escape route for the majority of the wet stuff I am quite content with the remainder as it recreates 12"/ft. scale where surface water does occasionally gather in puddles.
Hello Peter, Anne is letting me answer you post for two reasons.

First I would like to thank you for all you have done with your’e correspondence with Anne, she has been under a lot of strain herself, but with your'e emails to her she has been a tower for me during my stay in hospital.

Second, If the water is collecting in parts on your road, isn’t that the same when the contractors do resurfacing. It happens all the time on newly resurfaced roads we have been on. So I think you have done a brilliant job as usual, and I can’t wait to see it along with you and Diane.

Thanks again Peter, I will be in touch this week either by email or phone.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Further progress on the coach build today, the weather being warm and dry gave an opportunity to get outside to spray paint the various parts separately so I don't need to mask parts against overspraying. This does mean I have had to separate sections which will need gluing back together again and I have asked elsewhere about suitable adhesive. Where primer is used and unpainted surfaces are in contact I have used PVA and it works very well! For gloss surfaces, such as inset panels, I have used this.....
IMG_5802.JPG
IMG_5802.JPG (74.75 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
It is a fast setting rubberised adhesive which is (as it says on the 'tin') designed for applications where vibration might be an issue, also it bonds most materials, fills gaps and dries perfectly clear..... who could ask for more? I have used it elsewhere before and can confirm it does all of those things! Whether it is strong enough to attach corner joints is another matter.
Up to the present time I have painted the ends and sides on my carriage kit and have managed to loose the grain effect quite well. The inset panels are bonded in place and separate strips are prepared for installation.....
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5803.JPG (148.99 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
A 'dry' run.....
IMG_5804.JPG
IMG_5804.JPG (141.37 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 pm

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 am

There really is no substitute for the separate painting of overlays in different colours to give a perfectly crisp finish. This project is looking very good and I'm eager to see the finished article.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 am

That is really pretty fantastic Peter.

Another one to do myself now… :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:22 am

While all of the buildings are temporarily off-site I took a couple of pictures of the whole village area just to show the different surface finishes and give an idea of how things fit together.....
IMG_5799.JPG
IMG_5799.JPG (179.12 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_5800.JPG
IMG_5800.JPG (163.46 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_5801.JPG
IMG_5801.JPG (144.04 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
More plants will certainly help.
Edit.... forgot to say, the green painted square represents the floor of the garage/tyre dealership.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks Peter. Certaily does help to see the overall arrangement, a sort of local area map! Also shows how crisp and neat your modelling is, as though we needed reminding!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Ho, Ho, Ho.... it's Christmas shopping time again..... deep joy! Not at all my favourite time of year except for the fact that items appear on the shelf which are not available at any other time. For the past few years I have found ornamental street lamps which have 3v, battery powered, LED's. A new style has appeared this year.... four in one pack including switched battery box, and I have bought two packs for my village. At just £5.99 I think a real bargain!.......
IMG_5810.JPG
IMG_5810.JPG (166.45 KiB) Viewed 4482 times

This shows the four without the wires and battery box which I don't use.
The next picture shows my modification to add strength to the plastic which would easily be damaged by my dogs. I remove the base plate and top section, drill out the stem to accept a brass rod and superglue it back together again. It also has a stem at the base to slot into the concrete foundations of my streets.....
IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_5814.JPG (150.08 KiB) Viewed 4482 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 pm

They look good Peter, where did you buy them from please?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 pm

From our local 'Charlies', they also have an on-line shop I believe.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Continuing with my carriage build, the sides and ends have had a gold edge trim added to all of the panels. This was done after final painting of the overlays by use of a gold liner pen run along the edges from the back of each section so no colour accidentally got onto the fronts.....
IMG_5808.JPG
IMG_5808.JPG (115.95 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
IMG_5809.JPG
IMG_5809.JPG (115.8 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
IMG_5807.JPG
IMG_5807.JPG (79.64 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
IMG_5811.JPG
IMG_5811.JPG (157.57 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
This has worked really well and the overlays are now bonded to the inner sections using Canopy Bond which is a great success.
As I write this, the body shell is in front of me, under weights to hold the shape while it sets. The window glazing is already fitted, along with the floor, which wasn't supplied. Next will be seating...... wooden slats for 3rd. and upholstered for 1st.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 am

Looks great Peter, it will certainly be another Peter Butler example on how to do it correctly.

Love those lamps too Peter, has Tom as said where did you buy them from, you said “Charlies” do you have a website link please.

And thanks for the overall view of your Village too Peter. Can I copy the photo to show Anne, so I can show her what I am thinking of for our line, although it will be now where near as brilliant has your’s mate.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks Rod, Charlies stores are Welsh based (I believe) so you might not have a local branch (yet!) but they are on line at.... www.charliesdirect.co.uk

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:55 am

That gold trim looks excellent, Peter. Thanks for another brilliant idea.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:58 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am Thanks Rod, Charlies stores are Welsh based (I believe) so you might not have a local branch (yet!) but they are on line at.... www.charliesdirect.co.uk
Wow! I spent 5 years living in Aberystwyth in the 90s and had no idea that "Cheap Charlie's" (as it was universally known) was part of a chain... I'll learn next that the shop (ironically) nick-named "Honest John's" on the Prom was a multinational...

The carriage is looking great, good idea re the gold pen and edging technique...

Cheers,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:58 pm

That coach is looking rather splendid. Your passengers are going to be traveling in style.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Currently waiting for more kits from Lineside Hut, an order for another coach sides and ends pack, also seating for 2x four compartment coaches. This time I will carry out my original plan to cut the sides in half and make two four wheelers. I'm also progressing well with the CRV and it looks great! I am not familiar with wooden kits, and have never seen the real van, so it has been learning curve for me to understand the instructions and put it into practise. The kit is designed so that the builder can make all doors to open, including side sliding doors, something I don't want, but no alternative instructions are given for such as me. However, I have worked round that issue and the main body is almost ready for primer, possibly tomorrow after the duckets have set in position.
I must say that every piece of the laser cut sections are incredibly crisp and tidy with no cleaning-up required and they fit perfectly in every case.
Meanwhile I have prepared and painted the outer overlays ready for gold lining which I will attempt this evening....
IMG_5858.JPG
IMG_5858.JPG (104.33 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
IMG_5870.JPG
IMG_5870.JPG (168.31 KiB) Viewed 4388 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:46 am

Love your main colour Peter.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

Yesterday, after the train services had ended and all of the tourists and visitors had gone home, I took a stroll around the village with my camera. It had been raining during the day leaving the ground wet so there was little activity, although some residents took time out to relax after a busy day.....
IMG_5861.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG (132.36 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5862.JPG (136.72 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
IMG_5863.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG (132.08 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5864.JPG (131.83 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
IMG_5865.JPG
IMG_5865.JPG (115.2 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
IMG_5866.JPG
IMG_5866.JPG (129.35 KiB) Viewed 4327 times

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 am

Your village looks most realistic Peter. The carriages are looking good too. You're spoiling the inhabitants with superior accommodation and luxurious rolling stock.
Ian