The (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Re: The (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland Railway

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:06 pm

Morning all,

As per Tom's request, here's Russell, fuelled, oiled and ready to go at Clarach...

12th April 2020 1.jpg
12th April 2020 1.jpg (204.4 KiB) Viewed 6180 times

And here's its train, waiting patiently at Trefechan. For no reason other than I fancied seeing what it looked like, it's an all-red train today:

12th April 2020 2.jpg
12th April 2020 2.jpg (265.73 KiB) Viewed 6180 times

I'm not sure how long the front 4-wheeler will last, it's never run terribly well, I think it's got badly cast axleboxes. Must give it some proper attention soon.

I've got various things to do now, so it's likely to be mid-afternoon before the train goes anywhere.

Running trains according to others' requests and my whims has given me a sort of idea though, for a series of GRF mini "galas" over the coming months - I wonder if anyone else would be interested? The idea would be to replace the real railway galas and garden railway open days that won't be taking place over the next few months with running sessions on our lines held almost "to order". The host railway would post a list of possible locos, rolling stock and/or trains, and forum members would then take on the role of the gala organising committee, choosing (by poll, maybe?) which ones the host will run. And photograph/film, of course.

I rather like the idea - one of the things I enjoy about galas is either accurate recreations of the past, or combinations of locos and rolling stock that are either unusual or just plain attractive, even if not terribly realistic... It wouldn't suit all lines or members, but I'd be happy to give it a go. Any thoughts? What do you think chief moderator Tom? If you like the idea perhaps I could start a new thread...

Anyway, on with the jobs for now, and pics of trains later...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Great photos and your idea sounds good if you are happy to run it!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:29 pm

Happy to give it a shot, if anyone's interested!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 pm

As promised, here are some pictures of this afternoon's trains.

12th April 2020 2a.jpg
12th April 2020 2a.jpg (209.82 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
12th April 2020 3.jpg
12th April 2020 3.jpg (209.63 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
12th April 2020 4.jpg
12th April 2020 4.jpg (242.91 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
12th April 2020 5.jpg
12th April 2020 5.jpg (229.77 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
12th April 2020 5a.jpg
12th April 2020 5a.jpg (223.57 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
12th April 2020 6.jpg
12th April 2020 6.jpg (243.46 KiB) Viewed 6163 times

The dodgy 4-wheeler didn't play up too much (although it does need taking into the works), and apart from some of the points needing some attention, the line seems in pretty good shape.

What wasn't so good was next-door's 9 month old French Bulldog, a new addition since I last ran a steam train. He really took against it, yapping incessantly throughout the run. That's gonna be a problem if it happens every time I run a train, so I hope he gets used to the idea!

Cheers all,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Wonderful pictures, I do like your Russell as you know!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi Andrew, our South West Wales, 16mm Association Local Area Group held its first 'Virtual garden railway group meeting' over Easter weekend and it has proved a great success with pictures and videos being shared on the 'net. A site was set up specially for the event and other groups and individuals have also joined in from the North Wales area.
In the absence of actual gatherings this seems to be an alternative to maintain communication.
I have to admit the technology is way beyond my ability so please don't ask for details.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:46 pm

That's a very impressive locomotive – love the detail of the 'motion'. Lovely weathered, short, 'blood and custard' coaches too.

(I'm no longer a cleaner!)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:43 am

BertieB wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:46 pm Lovely weathered, short, 'blood and custard' coaches too
Thanks Bertie! They're two of the NWNGR's three four-wheeled carriages, scrapped in 1890-something. In my parallel universe that never happened and they were hauled out of Dinas carriage shed for service on the Clarach branch thirty years later... The models are my first attempt at laser cutting, and at some point I'll sort out cutting parts for the third "real" carriage, plus a freelance first class and brake version. The parts for those are designed, but not cut.

The livery's my attempt at the NWNGR's L&Y style colour-scheme - it came out a bit red, hence the heavy weathering! It's not quite right, but I like it!

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:05 am

Great photos Andrew. Like the idea of Gala's, but it may be sometime before we get our line up and running again because of this flipping Coronavirus, we are unable to get materials for filling the raised bed.... :?

CEB8A801-2086-4C62-97B7-0B83501CCB54.jpeg
CEB8A801-2086-4C62-97B7-0B83501CCB54.jpeg (181.94 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Has you can see, it needs a lot more rubble going into it yet...plus getting compost and soil is just a nightmare at the moment..

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Looking fantastic! Definitely one of the layouts I get inspired by every time I look at it! If there was a online gala, I’d be very happy to take part :)
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words, which are very much appreciated!

Rod, sorry to hear that your raised beds will remain incomplete for the time being - they look like they'll make a great trackbed when the time comes.

Earlier in the week I got out in the warm weather to finally get round to something I've wanted to do for ages - make a driver's eye view style video. I've fancied it since seeing 80s and 90s SMT articles about clever wagons constructed especially to carry bulky and expensive camcorders round the garden - luckily even my not-so-smart phone means that nothing so elaborate is necessary. Here's my effort, featuring my Mamod guards van (very clearly in need of overhaul!), with an elastic band, a kitchen sponge, a bit of bent wire and some plasticard to hold the phone in place, and a tin of nuts and bolts on the veranda as a counterbalance!

Film van.jpg
Film van.jpg (170.58 KiB) Viewed 5854 times

And here's the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td7MUJe1vlI&t=24s

There's room for improvement, but it's quite fun, I think. If you feel so inclined you might care to look out for two dogs, four tabby cats, a hedgehog and a fox- you'll need to be eagle-eyed though!

The real-life sound effects come from next door's new dog, chasing the train as it heads along the fence - he really doesn't like 'em! I had plannedto retreive all the wagons parked around the line using the battery loco (one of life's great simple pleasures, I think), but he barked every time the engine moved an inch, which rather took the joy out of it. Here's one of the only shunting manoeuvres I managed before giving up and heading indoors:

Film shunting.jpg
Film shunting.jpg (227.7 KiB) Viewed 5854 times

Until the dog grows a bit older and more sensible I fear my running will be mostly in snatched moments when it's not around, which will make my gala thoughts rather difficult to achieve, so it's probably lucky that doesn't seem hugely popular! I don't think there'll be very many trains over the (WH)WHR for a while, but perhaps it's an opportunity to see to the maintenance backlog..

Cheers all,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:43 pm

I love the video. Really nice smooth running, I'm quite envious!
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:10 pm

There are some roller coaster moments in the video Andrew!

It is nice to finally see the entire line, I think you have a good setup.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:57 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:43 pm “...Really nice smooth running, I'm quite envious!“
Absolutely. And at that speed!

You’ll have to do it again in landscape mode though, for our 108” OLED home theatre set ups.

Nice to see the green paint too.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks chaps. Just a bit of fun really, but the reactions are interesting, and largely down to the position of the camera, I think. Clearances meant that the phone had to be in portrait rather than landscape mode, which meant that the remaining options were either "right way up" or "upside down". The former puts the camera lens on the roofline, which felt too much like flying, which left the option of the phone upside down - but with the camera pretty low to the track, again for clearance reasons. That gives a pretty narrow field of vision, and makes it look really fast - even though in reality to engine was crawling along!

Anyone know if cheap go-pro type cameras are any good?? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8161790 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Andrew

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 pm

If you search for that camera on YouTube there are review videos including footage showing the quality the camera can record.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:50 am

Brilliant video Andrew, though like you say, the blooming dog is a nuisance though.

A bit of a yappa...

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:27 am

Never realized the extent of your line, video shows it to good effect. Was going to suggest a slow goods might have been better than the Express, but I read your explanation so understand.
Grant.
PS I'd be running a battery loco up and down the fence line till either the dog owner got sick of the barking, or the dog may get fed up!! Just a thought.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 07, 2020 11:00 am

Morning all,

It's another fine day here in Bristol, so I took advantage of my present more flexible working arrangements to run an early morning goods train. It's the only time of day when Penlan bank and station get much light, and I fancied making the most of it.

I've not run the Baldwin for ages, possibly several years, so it was a pleasure to get it out of its box and finally run it with a fairly accurate Welsh Highland goods rake. It seemed a little stiff after a period out of use, and the batteries in the transmitter are clearly on their last legs (the second half of the run was accompanied by the beeping presumably designed to warn you that your model Spitfire's about to crash into a primary school playground), but it went pretty well, and I was pleased with the photos, particularly the last one.

7th May 2020 1.jpg
7th May 2020 1.jpg (244.54 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
7th May 2020 2.jpg
7th May 2020 2.jpg (255.21 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
7th May 2020 3.jpg
7th May 2020 3.jpg (290.46 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
7th May 2020 4.jpg
7th May 2020 4.jpg (277.13 KiB) Viewed 5268 times

It's taken ten years, but I reckon I'm getting there with the Welsh Highland atmosphere. Might try for another run after work...

Cheers,

Andrew.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu May 07, 2020 11:41 am

That is a lovely used looking consist, and loco. That last pic. is a beauty I agree, I can feel the radiant heat of the sun.
Glad you got your priorities right and enjoyed the sunshine.
Grant.