The Development of the WLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:49 pm

jay1976:87251 wrote:I think a lot of people run a train when its being built 1 bonus its easier then to make adjustments to the track..
I did that on my 009 layout
Indeed! On running the Merlin the other day I found a dodgy section of track where I joined two lengths on a curve and didn't quite get a smooth join, simple job to fix but simpler when there is no ballast! :D

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Finally - a run all the way around! Further progress was made on the line today - the bridge was completed to a degree where the track could be laid and a light train run. I would like to fix a leg underneath the bridge just to support it in the middle as it is not as sturdy as I would like.

The bridge was re-enforced with strips of wood which kerfed to allow them to bend around the edge of the baseboard already cut. A strip was fitted each side of the board and these were then crossed braced with further strips across the board. The track was then fitted down and I decided to fire up a loco! Unfortunately - I blew the gauge glass after a cab fire so will need to buy some more of those!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/E8WAwpxNC-Q?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/E8WAwpxNC-Q?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Another plastic sight glass succumbs to a meths induced cab fire!

Jim, PM me your address and I'll send you a loco sight glass plastic & thicker 'O' ring if you like.

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Chris Cairns:88300 wrote:Another plastic sight glass succumbs to a meths induced cab fire!

Jim, PM me your address and I'll send you a loco sight glass plastic & thicker 'O' ring if you like.

Chris Cairns.
So far I have been lucky - I think this is my first to go! That's a very kind offer Chris - I'll drop you a PM! What is the benefit of the thicker 'O' ring?

The loco in the film is an unfinished project - it will eventually have a tender with feed pump and gas tank. The manifold in the cab has the regulator, a pressure gauge and a whistle valve...yet to get around to making a whistle for it though!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:12 pm

steamyjim wrote:What is the benefit of the thicker 'O' ring?
The replacement 'O' rings sold by MSS or their traders are not thick enough and several of us have had problems getting the sight glass plastic to seal. Somewhere along the way the original specification for this seal was changed (during one of the changes in the original Mamod ownership). Whilst others have suggested other solutions the one that works for me is a thicker 'O' ring (of which I still have a few) or the Mamod SP oval seal (of which I have none spare at present).

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Chris Cairns:88310 wrote:
steamyjim wrote:What is the benefit of the thicker 'O' ring?
The replacement 'O' rings sold by MSS or their traders are not thick enough and several of us have had problems getting the sight glass plastic to seal. Somewhere along the way the original specification for this seal was changed (during one of the changes in the original Mamod ownership). Whilst others have suggested other solutions the one that works for me is a thicker 'O' ring (of which I still have a few) or the Mamod SP oval seal (of which I have none spare at present).

Chris Cairns.
I see - I presume the change was made by the O ring producers rather than Mamod and from then on problems have arisen with the design.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:55 pm

No, from experience with my early Mamod SL locomotives it was not originally an 'O' ring that was used, but an oval seal. So one of the Mamod owners changed it from an oval seal to an 'O' ring and certainly my unused SL1K kit has this 'O' ring. It appears that MSS are punching out the boiler sight glass recess to a deeper depth which makes the sealing problem even worse!

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Started working through my 45mm stock to convert it to 32mm...got a bit bored so tried them with my Mamod William. I find my William to be a very good loco - lots of power and a long run time once the condensate is cleared from the cylinders. Only had one classic Mamod runaway when the coupling chain fell off...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/mJPxwJy8gW0?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/mJPxwJy8gW0?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm

I've been converting all of my 45mm LGB and Bachmann stock over to 32mm - an easy but mind numbing task! Anyway, the Merlin loco was out of action (repaired now) so decided to try again with the Mamod William to try out it's pulling power...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ukQFRy0kBA0?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ukQFRy0kBA0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Quite impressive really considering the bad press these locomotives have, she ran like this for about 20 minutes.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:24 pm

It is indeed a good performer Jim. As I recall was this not Mamod's demonstrator which you acquired from Forest Classics?

I would change the nylon gas pipe for a copper one. I've had a few scary blow-backs from these Mamod burners (the jet holder is a loose fit into the burner, and the jet is just screwed into the holder with no sealant or PTFE tape) and I've got rid of most of my nylon gas pipe's. Just need some more copper tubing to complete the task.

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Chris Cairns:89274 wrote:It is indeed a good performer Jim. As I recall was this not Mamod's demonstrator which you acquired from Forest Classics?

I would change the nylon gas pipe for a copper one. I've had a few scary blow-backs from these Mamod burners (the jet holder is a loose fit into the burner, and the jet is just screwed into the holder with no sealant or PTFE tape) and I've got rid of most of my nylon gas pipe's. Just need some more copper tubing to complete the task.

Chris Cairns.
Yes it is Chris - it is supposed to be the one that appeared in the How It's Made video on the Discovery Channel.

I must get around to changing the gas pipe to a copper one as you say - I don't trust the Nylon pipe! I'm not so keen on trying the modification on the venturi - she is such a good performer as is I don't want to risk buggering something!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Just messing about really after finished converting all of my stock to 32mm gauge today and modifying an LGB flat wagon to make a converter wagon between the LGB style of coupling and the chain type coupling. I ran a train using my Merlin Meteor locomotive and each piece of rolling stock in use at the moment - 13 wagons!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/R_EV5LpUq3s?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/R_EV5LpUq3s?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/A7VViIfr_gE?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/A7VViIfr_gE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Managed to pick up a bulk lot of track the other day. 3 sets of Tenmille points and 45 lengths of Peco and Tenmille track. The lot for £130 all in! Not bad at all...

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Exciting stuff!
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:03 pm

LnBmad:91819 wrote:Exciting stuff!
Indeed! It should allow me to complete most of my current plans for the line!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:46 am

Have laid a few more sections of the line the last couple of days. Points have been added to the indoors area and have bought the track up to where the line will exit the shed. I will post some pictures tomorrow!

Have also started sketching building sizes and positioning and laying out 00 track to come up with the Gn15 section design.

I need to build a turntable - around 15" diameter, has anyone built one?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:53 pm

The start of an engine shed...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:42 pm

That's looking very good Jim. I particularly like the windows. Is the building made of wood?
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:26 pm

Thank you! Yes, all made of laser cut MDF. Modeled in 3D and then converted to DXF files for laser cutting.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Lookin good :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/