The Development of the WLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:33 am

SillyBilly wrote:PTLR use gravel boards I think, and their railway is a good runner so :? .
I shall look into it. Thanks!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 pm

The shed is now pretty much done...lot of delay due to weather and stuff.

Bought some more engines aswell so no track grrr :lol:

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Almost 5 years since my last updated on this thread - some real progress has been made on my railway!

The shed had been full to the rafters with rubbish ready for going to the car-boot sale. A large amount of this has been sorted and given to the charity shop, the rest tipped at last allowing me to begin construction of the railway!

The section inside the shed will comprise of an oval of track with sidings for the storage of locomotives and carriages. I intend that this section will be a scenic section built like a traditional model railway...eventually!

Here is a picture...

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Its about time Jim !  Are the canal and tin mine still part of the plans ?
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:18 pm

DLRdan:86684 wrote:Its about time Jim !  Are the canal and tin mine still part of the plans ?
They do indeed! The canal on a reduced scale though...

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Jim, 'Welcome Back'.

Look forward to seeing your fine collection of locomotives in action soon.

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Chris Cairns:86691 wrote:Jim, 'Welcome Back'.

Look forward to seeing your fine collection of locomotives in action soon.

Chris Cairns.
Hello Chris,

I look forward to it too! Unfortunately, my 45mm Iver will be unable to run on this line.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 pm

steamyjim wrote:Unfortunately, my 45mm Iver will be unable to run on this line
That's a shame Jim. Out of Loading Gauge problem?

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Chris Cairns:86733 wrote:
steamyjim wrote:Unfortunately, my 45mm Iver will be unable to run on this line
That's a shame Jim. Out of Loading Gauge problem?

Chris Cairns.
Nope, I have gone over to 32mm for the line. Iver will be kept as my visiting loco. May look out for a 32mm Iver though...

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:17 pm

After fiddling about with various ideas for the layout, track has finally started being laid! :D Only 3 sections at the moment as I ran out of time this afternoon, but it's a start!

Pictures tomorrow!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Ran the first train on the line today - a service train moving the screws for fixing the track down to where they were needed...that was my excuse anyway! Am around 2/3 the way around the shed with track at the moment. Note the authentic weathered finish of MDF dust! :lol:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Glad I am not the only one who runs unfinished rolling stock ;)

Great progress! You should never need an excuse to run a train...

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:13 pm

tom_tom_go:87064 wrote:Glad I am not the only one who runs unfinished rolling stock ;)

Great progress!  You should never need an excuse to run a train...
Unfinished rolling stock on an unfinished railway! ;)

I was waiting till I had painted the baseboards but the urge to run a train won in the end!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:57 am

Filled the gap today between the door. This section needed to be removable so a basic bridge was built. It still needs reinforcing and a bridge structure to be built around it - I fancy something Brunelian, not very narrow gauge I know but I like Brunel's work!

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:30 pm

I think a lot of people run a train when its being built 1 bonus its easier then to make adjustments to the track..
I did that on my 009 layout

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:49 pm

jay1976:87251 wrote:I think a lot of people run a train when its being built 1 bonus its easier then to make adjustments to the track..
I did that on my 009 layout
Indeed! On running the Merlin the other day I found a dodgy section of track where I joined two lengths on a curve and didn't quite get a smooth join, simple job to fix but simpler when there is no ballast! :D

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Finally - a run all the way around! Further progress was made on the line today - the bridge was completed to a degree where the track could be laid and a light train run. I would like to fix a leg underneath the bridge just to support it in the middle as it is not as sturdy as I would like.

The bridge was re-enforced with strips of wood which kerfed to allow them to bend around the edge of the baseboard already cut. A strip was fitted each side of the board and these were then crossed braced with further strips across the board. The track was then fitted down and I decided to fire up a loco! Unfortunately - I blew the gauge glass after a cab fire so will need to buy some more of those!

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/E8WAwpxNC-Q?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/E8WAwpxNC-Q?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Another plastic sight glass succumbs to a meths induced cab fire!

Jim, PM me your address and I'll send you a loco sight glass plastic & thicker 'O' ring if you like.

Chris Cairns.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Chris Cairns:88300 wrote:Another plastic sight glass succumbs to a meths induced cab fire!

Jim, PM me your address and I'll send you a loco sight glass plastic & thicker 'O' ring if you like.

Chris Cairns.
So far I have been lucky - I think this is my first to go! That's a very kind offer Chris - I'll drop you a PM! What is the benefit of the thicker 'O' ring?

The loco in the film is an unfinished project - it will eventually have a tender with feed pump and gas tank. The manifold in the cab has the regulator, a pressure gauge and a whistle valve...yet to get around to making a whistle for it though!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:12 pm

steamyjim wrote:What is the benefit of the thicker 'O' ring?
The replacement 'O' rings sold by MSS or their traders are not thick enough and several of us have had problems getting the sight glass plastic to seal. Somewhere along the way the original specification for this seal was changed (during one of the changes in the original Mamod ownership). Whilst others have suggested other solutions the one that works for me is a thicker 'O' ring (of which I still have a few) or the Mamod SP oval seal (of which I have none spare at present).

Chris Cairns.