RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 am

Thats pretty good progress! :D

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Here is the finished item (for now anyway) ;)

I am sure the seasons will in time give it some natural weathering on top of what I have done.

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Good progress has been made over the last month as I am finally now onto the curve which will lead off to the main line:

I had to add an extra batton along the fence to support the track shelf and where the apple tree is the fencing behind it needed doing again after a hash I made of it the first time!

The track templates I made show you the curve starting off at a 4ft radius and then working it's way round finally to 5ft.

Also, roofing felt has now been added to the steam up area which will eventually be ballasted and a slight lip added around the edge:

And finally here is where we are heading, ONWARDS! :D

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:19 pm

It's coming on really well, and looks as if you've made a good start :D I will definatley have to come over at some point when theres a bit more track to run on as your only 4 stops away on the train :lol:
Cheers Tom

ninge
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by ninge » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:54 am

those buffers are great - gonna steal that idea if you don't mind :)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Ninge, the buffers are made using M2 stainless steel nuts/bolts so if you need help let me know.

Glad you like the progress so far Tom. I am looking forward to hosting steam-up's one day!

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Despite my best efforts the raised surface is not level so I am wondering how to make the track level without constantly having to adjust ballast? I also don't like the idea of banging nails into the sleeprs as they will show.

I did have a play with putting screws under the sleepers, however, it's impossible to get a perfect level without making sure every screw is in the right place! :(

What does everyone else do please?

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:12 pm

I put a screw where needed straight through a sleeper mainly to hold the shape of the rail as I use flexitrack.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

How do you overcome unevenness though on your lines?

I have gone along with a spirit level placed on the sleepers at various points and I have variations all over the place (this is without ballast so far).

Does it have to be perfect?  I use R/C but I have to keep playing about with the regulator for smooth running

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Tom, Have you ever seen a perfectly straight & level railway? It never happens! just adds to the realism, rocking and rolling :)
Alistair Parsons,
Apprentice Multi Skilled Technician

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Point taken - but I know manual loco's suffer on uneven track, however, if everyone just makes a best efforts and does not have perfect track then no problems.

The spirit level is only slightly out anyway so it's not major :)

Thanks,

Tom
RWLR

anythingsdr
Fireman
Fireman

Post by anythingsdr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm

like the real thing :)
Alistair Parsons,
Apprentice Multi Skilled Technician

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:15 pm

anythingsdr:57098 wrote:like the real thing :)
Especially narrow gauge! ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:18 pm

A perfectly flat narrow gauge railway????!! Never. :twisted: :shock: :roll:
I wouldnt worry about it, most manual loco's will cope fine with the up & down roadbed bits.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Pendo Pilot:57101 wrote:A perfectly flat narrow gauge railway????!! Never. :twisted:  :shock:  :roll:
Leek and Manifold? ;)

Further to the OP, if you do ballast it will all eventually find its own level and stabilise.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Marquis DeCarabas:57103 wrote:Leek and Manifold?  ;)
Not now though! :twisted:
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:26 pm

I just adjust the ballast where needed  but for your shelf the odd coffee stirrer under a sleeper may give the needed adjustment Small inclines and slopes aren't too much of a problem for manual control unless there is a sudden bend just after a decline.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 pm

This is part one (steam up area) nearly finished:

I have also started using Cliff Barker fishplates rather than the Peco offerings:

Once painted I think they will look the biz.

Unfortunately, my rail bender has decided to start producing kinked track so until that's sorted I can't do much else for the moment.

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I perfected my 'screws under the sleeper' method of laying track (yes I know I make work for myself) :)

It does give great results though for level running and also means you cannot see any nails/screws through the sleepers:

Screws are positioned every forth sleeper and because the track is webbed there is no sag when trains run over the parts with no supports. I will ballast these in later anyway.

Another benefit of using screws means I can adjust the track when required and because the track is raised it will create an embankment either side of the sleepers once the ballast is in place - just like the real thing :)

I completely agree with the enjoyment of hearing the loco's work which is why all my rolling stock is heavily weighted and chuff pipes a must!

Is it just me but those of us that work full time and have busy family lives find that their railways take years to build like mine is at the moment? :lol:

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 pm

tom_tom_go:59541 wrote:I Is it just me but those of us that work full time and have busy family lives find that their railways take years to build like mine is at the moment? :lol:
One of the plus points of working mad shifts helped me do mine. Getting home at 11am after a full day or not starting till 7 at night for example. It's all good. :D