RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Very nice! it looks good! Will there be others of this type on your railway?
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks Laurence. I have decided this buffer stop will go at the other end of the siding as this will be the coaling/water filling area where I intend to build a basic platform. I can't fit a loco shed :(

I want to make another style of buffer stop for the other end of the siding. Maybe out of brick or using Peco track as I had a go at this a while back, however, the nuts and bolts look too big. Using smaller ones I have found to be fiddly:

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:04 am

You're putting together a good looking railway there Tom Tom. When I make a start on my own railway I'm going to have to use the self bracket method along a fence line as well so it's been interesting to see how you approached the method.
By the way I like your rail built buffer stops and I don't really think the bolts you've used are oversized. Clipping the extra length off the bolts would make a difference to their appearance and make them more realistic.
What has Reality done for you lately?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Making good progress at the moment:

This curve fits in nicely in between the red robin bush and is just over 5ft radius so should get some good running from it :)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Completed the final stage of track base construction today! :D

I now have a complete 'dog bone' to lay the remaining roofing felt on and then for track and ballast to go on top of that. I may even get to hold my first steam up in the Spring :twisted:

Thanks to everyone's comments on this thread - it really helps to spur me on with the RWLR...

Cheers,

Tom

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:52 pm

All of the roofing felt is now laid and today I did some more track laying:

The long curve under the red robin bush will be a good spot for taking photos :)

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Looks really good Tomtom, every little bit done now is a step further forward ;)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks Doug!

I ordered some larger bags of the ballast I tried out a while ago and laid some today:

I would be interested in what people think of it as I feel it is too light (maybe in time the weather will tone it down?) and wondered if there was a way to make it darker using some sort of dye or maybe just dirty engine oil?

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm

I think it looks alright! Give it a while and nature will do its thing anyway!

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:12 pm

I did a test section of about 2 foot using similar looking ballast, 6 weeks later it has mellowed well blending in nicely with the surrounding larger chunks of slate, I even have some moss and micro weeds, as mentioned earlier let nature take its course.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks for the comments chaps.

I will see how it weathers although I think reducing the amount of ballast on each side of the track has reduced the viewing impact of it:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:07 pm

My buffer idea from a while back came to a complete stop (get it, ho ho ho) because I could not bend enough pieces identically and that was driving me nuts!

So, I had a hunt around on the net and found a picture of a buffer stop at the milk dock on the Bluebell railway that I thought would look good up against the lamp hut that I am building:

I can't produce the picture of the buffer stop here as it is copyrighted by the author, however, if you have a look on Google images you should find it by searching 'bluebell railway milk dock buffer stop'.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 am

The weather has finally beaten me doing anymore building work in the garden for a while so time to get on with buildings and rolling stock.

The lamp hut is nearly finished:

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 am

The good old corrugated iron school of architecture. :D

I like that buffer stop design, - no tricky bends which has to be a plus :thumbup:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:17 am

I am doing my bit for the environment by recycling tin cans ;)

I forgot I had pics of the roof finished:

Now I just have to wait for it to rust :)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I think this buffer stop is finished for now (let's see what the weather does to it) :)

I found some left over paving slabs from when we had our patio done which I can cut for concrete bases for future buildings or even platforms:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 pm

laurence703:74088 wrote:Very nice! It reminds me of the fishing lines at Dungeness on the RHDR   :D
And I think I have found RHDR ballast, yay!

I am going to see how it fairs with the weather for a little while, however, I prefer it to the darker ballast I was going to use. I am not building a Welsh slate railway so the lighter stones gives a more coastal feel to the line which is fitting given I live near the south Kent coast :)

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:33 pm

I see your lamphut is starting to weather nicely and lose its brand new look. That ballast looks good too and is a much better choice for a coastal location.

May I ask you a question Tom, - why are you using steel billets as a buffer stop?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Annie:76782 wrote:
May I ask you a question Tom, - why are you using steel billets as a buffer stop?
Er, well they look good rusted up and I have not been bothered to build a proper buffer stop yet ;)

I reckon if I cut them down I might even get away with using them permanently?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm

The weather has put any major track work on hold for the moment, however, with Christmas approaching my folks offered to buy something for the RWLR that would be 'useful' ;)

So, as I have a Riverdale coal fired boiler on order with the eventual outcome of two trains running I managed to sneak in a passing loop using the new Peco tighter radius points without having to rebuild any of the line:

The red arrows show the 'start' direction of each train with the blue indicating the 'home' journey. I have built a prototype self-resetting point mechanism that fits under the required points that should allow two trains to run on my line without hitting each other!