Elmdon Heath Light Railway (was EHLR: A small start)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Elmdon Heath Light Railway (was EHLR: A small start)

Post by hussra » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:44 pm

A small but significant moment today: laying of the first track (two, yes two, yards) and running of the first train. This is along the top of a sleeper (already in situ) enclosing our veg patch. Also temporarily laid another couple of yards to help in calculating dimensions for the bridge across to the next section of line.

It may not be much, but it's twice as much track as I managed to lay in the previous garden before I got ill, after which we decided to move house!

Our own Simplex ran, with three tippers that are on loan from the receivers of the now-dismantled Lillington Tramway.

The next step is to obtain materials for the bridge, which will have a metal frame that will be concealed, in time, within something resembling the Rheidol bridge near Llanbadarn (i.e. the plan is for the trestles to hang from the bridge, rather than supporting it).
Last edited by hussra on Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Great to see you starting Richard, the first step is always exciting.

So you ran the Millie on it yet? :D :D :D

I forgot to reply in my thread re Rowlands mix...To be honest I use different every time but it's roughly 1 part cement, 2 parts Irish Moss peat & 1 sand. But I add to it until when mixed dry it is a medium dark grey colour before applying..
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Congratulations! A moment to treasure! :D

And now we can all follow as it grows! ;)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Narrow Minded:52120 wrote:And now we can all follow as it grows!
........... and come to the Grand Opening!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:09 am

Looking good already

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Pendo Pilot:52115 wrote:So you ran the Millie on it yet?  :D  :D  :D
Not yet! But I did solder up a couple of sets of buffer stops today - the beams need a little wood filler (drying now) and painting (tomorrow, hopefully). Also got a bit further along with bridge planning.

The children ran the Simplex with some slate wagons today (over the two yards already laid, plus another two on the bridge) and had good fun.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Buffers

Post by hussra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 am

A bit of paint, and the temporary buffers are ready for action. Probably a bit over the top for something so temporary, but I'm sure they will find a new home elsewhere on the line ere long.

Looking a bit too shiny, but I'm sure that won't last. One has four uprights and one has two - just because the length of spare rail I had to hand was only long enough to yield six pieces.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Silence does not indicate a lack of progress, merely a lack of visible progress. (Also Holy Week is rather a busy time really, especially with the kids off school all week - still need to finish preparations for Good Friday.)

Immediately to the south of the present section a significant removable bridge is required. Design work has continued, I have ordered the relevant metal sections and will be picking them up next week once the children are back at school.

To the north, the block-paved path needs to be raised a few inches to facilitate a level crossing. The line of the next section has been pegged out, and planning permission obtained. A little further on, construction of one part of this section will need to await the season for splitting rhubarb. The course of the buried electricity supply to the air raid shelter has been investigated, as this part of the line seemed likely to cross it. Two errant strawberry plants have been removed from the course of the line.

Towards the lawn (not likely to be reached by rails for some time yet), consideration is being given to the pond. This is a very ancient and leaky barrel, desperately in need of replacement. I had thought of a conventional ground-level pond combined with one of those natty Cain Howley viaducts, but it seems another raised pond is the preference (and I can understand that) and, given the intended altitude of the line at that point it will need to go around rather than over.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:00 pm

The bridge is now coming together a bit. A tricky shape, nearly six foot long, removable and with a slight curve at one end. Lots of careful measuring and cutting.

Deck, upside down:

Someone will say "not strong enough", and they'd be right, which is why the next stage is to attach the hefty piece of aluminium box section (1 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/8") that is also seen in the above photos, which will provide the main support. Here it is having its location marked out for cutting:
Further short lengths of this will form the mounting points for the bridge at either end.

We did also turn it over just for a quick check. Looks OK but needs the cosmetic bits adding.

The idea is for it to resemble the Rheidol viaduct. Lots of Cuprinol.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun May 01, 2011 1:31 am

Crikey Richard, that bridge looks so overengineered compared to what I thow together & call a bridge. Very nice work. I have a 4 foot straight "plank bridge" that needs a proper structure, do you do contract work? ;)
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sun May 01, 2011 7:36 am

Pendo Pilot:52956 wrote:I have a 4 foot straight "plank bridge" that needs a proper structure, do you do contract work?  ;)
Let me get this one finished and looking reasonable before I answer that question...
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Lookin Good. 8)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sun May 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Got the cross members cut for the Great Big Beam today, and said beam fitted. The bridge is now officially Strong Enough.

Next job is to sort out the receptacles into which the bridge will fit at either end. More fun measuring and cutting.

Pablo, the classroom bear of my daughter's Reception class, took a ride along the (very short) completed length of the EHLR this afternoon:

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Nomis
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Nomis » Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 pm

That's some really nice civil engineering there 8)

If you keep working to this standard, the finished railway will be amazing!

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sun May 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Keith&Joanna:52975 wrote:this bridge is for a 5" line?

if not you may have over-engineered it (unless you also have to walk on it)   :shock:
32mm gauge! But it's a very awkward spot with that curve, and the line joins the existing trackbed at a tricky angle that will need care to ensure accurate location of the bridge. It would be easy to end up with a twisty bridge, rather sloppy location, and cross levels all over the place where bridge meets terra firma. I'd rather over-engineer than under-engineer here.

Haven't actually tried walking on it yet but some deflection tests might be entertaining. (I'm a little under 14 stone.)

Once this awkward corner is out of the way things should get easier. My thinking was that if I could get this corner right it would give the confidence to press on round the garden; if, on the other hand, it couldn't be got "right" it would be best to know now rather than when I had built the line 3/4 of the way round.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon May 02, 2011 6:54 pm

One of the bridge supports (the easier one!) has been made today.

These two are upside down but give the general idea.

The other support is similar, but the slot needs to be angled. Much filing anticipated.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Crikey Richard you don't mess about. That should give you a great sturdy bridge. Nice work fella.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 pm

It's an interesting learning curve. I was never allowed near any of the "serious" metalworking equipment at school - deemed more suited to woodwork (though not much cop at that either). The bridge support was carved out of the box section this afternoon using a 5mm drill and a selection of files - tedious, but satisfying in the end.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 pm

I take comfort from the thought that my task is considerably easier, and my bridge lighter, and my site more readily accessible, than the replacement footbridge that is going in at Nant Gwernol.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri May 13, 2011 3:06 pm

After quite a bit of work, the other bridge support has been hacked out of the aluminium box section. And here it is - ta da! - in situ.:

The other end is not yet on its final supports:

That will come another day. Here is why I was so concerned about possible wobble and cross-levels where the bridge attaches to the raised bed:

The overall scene:

Fill this space with trestle:

The pavers are just to indicate the required space to get the wheelie bin and lawnmower through.

More photos later. But now it's time to collect the children from school.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull