Elmdon Heath Light Railway (was EHLR: A small start)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 pm

small fence along sie the track at half way up side of the stock will stop a roll over into the pond..

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 pm

jay1976:88783 wrote:small fence along sie the track at half way up side of the stock will stop a roll over into the pond..
Which is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Possibly removable for photographs, not sure if it's worth the hassle.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:53 pm

I meant a sort of scale sized wire fence sort of thing..hatcould then stay in place all the time...sure I saw something not long ago in local cheap shop..

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 am

Tell you what I would do. Remove one side of your bridge get some rein and cast some more or if you can afford a few more get some and make a walled viaduct. Make piers using chicken wire and cement A curved viaduct would look amazing It looks as though you only need a couple of pairs these can attach to your breeze blocks with cement and pva mix. You then of course need the old masonry drill to trim the breeze block to form the arch

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:40 am

Brief update. The main line circuit is now complete, hooray. The bridges will in time either be replaced or receive decorative cladding, but that can wait.

And in celebration, the first live steamer to go right round was the Wren, which hadn't previously steamed on this incarnation of the EHLR as it's really, really not cut out for end-to-end running!

Video:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Fulf516rjJg?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Fulf516rjJg?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

And yesterday we made good progress with fitting out the "wall of death" section, which I'm much happier with now. Water level still to be raised to the final level.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am

Nice work Richard... Lovely scenic run and when it's established with plenty of planting it will be even better!

jay1976
Fireman
Fireman

Post by jay1976 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 am

looking good..might need a pump of some kind in that pond to stop it going stagnet and smelly

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Fantastic - congratulations!!! That Wren's really lovely, must've been a joy to finally steam her on the new line, especially when she appears to have run so well.

MUST crack on with my line...

All the bext,

Andrew.

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Great work rich! And all ready before the 12th ;)
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks all. I also want to add a safety fence of some kind where the line curves fairly tightly round into Llanfair, probably just a raised edging to the wooden track base at this point.

A few of the humps and hollows also got treated yesterday. It's sobering how a "trip round the line" video points out the worst in your trackwork, though the kink coming off the trestle bridge will have to wait.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

John57sharp
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by John57sharp » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi. This is a most inspiring thread, I've enjoyed seeing your line develop and I like the way it integrates with the landscape. I hope you can enjoy it well now that you have a circuit. Just one question, have you treated the wooden posts used to support the platform at all ?

Cheers John

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:02 am

Good job Vic was not around - you had 'two in a bed' there for a while!

It is looking very good, though.  I especially like your 2'gauge version of Tooban Jct.

As usual encouragement for me to get going again with mine...

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 am

John57sharp:90047 wrote:Hi. This is a most inspiring thread, I've enjoyed seeing your line develop and I like the way it integrates with the landscape. I hope you can enjoy it well now that you have a circuit. Just one question, have you treated the wooden posts used to support the platform at all ?
Hello John,

Glad you have enjoyed looking through the posts - I've enjoyed building it! The posts were just sold as "treated fence posts" from a local decent timber merchant and I keep meaning to apply a bit of further protection.

I did look quite closely into the Filcris plastic products and would have preferred to go in that direction, but the railway-building budget is really very limited, and the cost difference meant it was a choice between either not being able to build it, but it then lasting forever - or it getting it built this year but only lasting for a relatively limited period. A hard choice; I am mentally preparing for the time when it needs repairs...
IrishPeter:90057 wrote:Good job Vic was not around - you had 'two in a bed' there for a while!

It is looking very good, though. I especially like your 2'gauge version of Tooban Jct.

As usual encouragement for me to get going again with mine...
Yes, it's probably as well Victor has disappeared for now (especially as there were tasks to be finished before I was allowed to open any further extensions!). I'm pleased with how Llanfair/Tooban has worked out too!

The Marquis recently turned out some excellent photos of quite involved-looking shunting at Tooban that clearly wasn't allowed for by the signalling - looks like trying to shunt vans headed between Letterkenny & Buncrana or vice versa, without them ending up at Bridge End (full of stuff awaiting the customs) or across the border. Further inspiration for operations in due course with stuff coming off the branch at Llanfair and having to be shunted onto trains down the (yet to be build) main line to Rhiw Lleidiog.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:14 pm

St John's, IOM, also had a certain number of movements that were not contemplated when the Points Box was put in in 1879. For example, the east end arrangements lacked any sort of calling on signal for when trains to Peel and Ramsey arrived combined, and need to be split. This was a common movement - especially after 1899, so it was surprising that the signalling was never up graded, then again the IMR always intended to put a end to the practice. Anyway, the combined train would arrive at the junction signal. The pilot loco would uncouple and the signalman would flag it into the Ramsey 'down' road.  The Peel section would be uncouple and draw forward into the Peel down platform under the authority of the junction signal, and surrender the Crosby-St John's staff to the stationmaster. The bobby would flag the pilot engine back on to the Ramsey section, and then it would then be drawn into the Ramsey platform.  

Of course the fun would really begin when you had a wagon going from Peel to Ramsey Line or vice versa, a third train in the mix, or the loco department was playing silly-buggers with the rosters and locos needed to get home rather than work through.  When working wagons through from Peel to Ramsey it was not unusual, if a Peel-Douglas and a Douglas - Ramsey met at St John's for the Douglas train to move beyond the junction then cautiously reverse back into the Ramsey platform to either drop the offending wagons just behind the Ramsey train, or attach them to the back of the Ramsey trains.  The former was preferred, I believe, but that latter would occasionally be done if time were short. Once the wagons were dropped the train would depart to Douglas, and the Ramsey train would pick up its tail traffic and head for Ramsey. This was, of course, done with the passengers on board but, with no BOT regulation on the IOM to say you should not, it happened with some regularity. Although fitted, the vacuum brakes were usually disconnected, so shunting when a bit smoother without 'suck brakes' to complicate things with brake tests!

I think ever line needs a shunter's puzzle, but at the moment my line has not got one. I seem to have behaved myself this time!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:20 am

IrishPeter:90057 wrote:Good job Vic was not around - you had 'two in a bed' there for a while!
This put me in mind of a similar exercise done on a certain Welsh narrow gauge line - filming one train from another, within an engineering possession. The operating instructions for the event contained great screeds the usual guff about how to do this safely, including "Both drivers must come to a clear understanding".

The General Manager of the time was known for the length and pomposity of his operating notices. As I recall it being recounted to me, the conversation between the drivers (both no longer with us, sadly) before setting off went along the lines of "Right mate... Ah knows he's a &*£"^&, and tha knows he's a &*£"^&, so we've come to a clear understanding."
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:27 pm

So, we had a gathering here last Saturday for the local 16mm group, and it was wet. But we had plenty of fun all the same.

Before kick-off, the late, lamented Lillington Tramway's Ruston diesel makes an appearance on a rake of tippers.

Lillington Tramway train again.

You have no idea how grateful we were for the loan of the Elmdon Church gazebo.Image

"Wilberforce" and Steve Hammett's "Sir Henry" wait in the sidings at Llanfair ar y Ffos.

Brian's Merlin Mayflower "Barbara" had a great run, its first in ten years.

"Barbara" approaches Llyn Rhosmari.

"Barbara" passes Hendre station.

"Barbara" approaching Beidreirin level crossing. The crossing signage made a rare but welcome appearance.

A visiting battery loco brought by David Lewis.

David's 0-4-2T Edrig passes Beidreirin.

Brian's coal fired Fowler (on an Accucraft chassis) makes some smoke. This was its first run on rails in Brian's ownership.

Line-up of steam locos plus one interloper.

Another view of the loco line-up.

"Wilberforce" and "Barbara" in conditions that were just as damp as they look.

Afterwards, Llyn Rhosmari gives a bit of that "Blaenau on a damp day" sort of atmosphere.

And the video - which is a bit biased towards the locos that ran before the rain got heavier.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/7fEROpKvhYI?hl=en_GB& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/7fEROpKvhYI?hl=en_GB&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:36 am

Richard,

Have you seen www.huntleyarchives.com film 503? It contains scenes of shunting at Tooban Jct as well as some other Irish NG footage.

Cheers,
Peter in AZ

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Nice little video, weather looks rather reminiscent of opening day of my line 6 years ago!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:14 pm

IrishPeter:90667 wrote:Richard,

Have you seen www.huntleyarchives.com film 503?  It contains scenes of shunting at Tooban Jct as well as some other Irish NG footage.
Yes, brilliant stuff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9fHocB3_Fw with the Tooban stuff at about 1:46. My best guess is that they're swapping wagons between the Letterkenny and Buncrana lines, to avoid 'em having to go to Bridge End and get horrendously snarled up with everything awaiting customs examination. Wouldn't have thought of that when Tooban was rebuilt, as there was no border back then...

Looking forward to the next visit to Dún na nGall, sadly looks like I won't be able to make it to Raphoe next month for the installation of the new Archdeacon.
laalratty:90694 wrote:Nice little video, weather looks rather reminiscent of opening day of my line 6 years ago!
Glad you enjoyed it - we had a great time in spite of the weather. Really useful to have identified a few little tweaks that are needed. Then onwards with the extension...
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Nice memories despite the weather. The bridge over 'troubled waters' looks good and seems to handle traffic without any problems.