Filcris Trackbed - questions...

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
bluewater1150
Cleaner
Cleaner

Filcris Trackbed - questions...

Post by bluewater1150 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi, I'm brand new to this so apologies if this has been asked before - or talked to death, I can't see any previous threads on Filcris products.
I'm wanting to build a basic garden rail circuit,  9 mt long 2.5 mt wide. I was going to use 3" x 3" posts as supports, on metposts,  having the trackbed a couple of feet from the ground, attaching 6" sarking with secured Peco Streamline SM32.

I then cam across  Filcris garden rail track - both straights and curves. see link http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/garde ... y-products. If this link doesn't bring you onto the right page - click 'products' then click on' garden products' - and your there.
Has anyone used it and if so what are the pros & cons. I'm hoping the boards (3 mt long) are rigid enough to only require a support (which they also have in plastic 2" x 2" x 18") every 2ft.

My other question is when a loco or rolling stock manufacturer says their min. curve radius is say 3ft, Where is that measurement to be taken from, the inside of the curve, mid track or outside edge.?

thanks
Elliot

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Keep your curves on the wide side. I use 10' radius on my 45mm line, but still have a couple of vehicles I have to watch for the "Norwegian throw" on the S bends. My Clogher Valley saloon in particular is going to need its couplings changing to the centre buffer, hook and chain type before I can use it with the closed vestibule stock. With chopper couplings, the overhang can throw the adjacent vehicle on its side through the S bends. On second thoughts, I might try taking the chopper off one coupling and see if that gives me enough extra flexibility.

Peter in AZ