The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Back home after three weeks away from the railway! Shanes prediction on the "Postcard From Boscombe" thread proved to be absolutely spot on..........

There's track there somewhere!

Drivers eye view...

Quarry Siding completely inaccesible

Overgrown track through Codnor Wood

And damage caused by the asbo Hedgehogs at St Peter's Crossing!

The good news is that a couple of hours later, the line was de-vegetated and a limited passenger service was run hauled by Crantoc which had earlier been in charge of the P.way train.

If you're reading this Shane, would you like to PM me with next weeks Lottery numbers? :lol:

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:11 pm

WOW, thats some plant growth!
Thanks
Jack

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 pm

The second picture from the bottom is quite atmospheric!

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Re: The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:47 am

Narrow Minded wrote:Back home after three weeks away from the railway! If you're reading this Shane, would you like to PM me with next weeks Lottery numbers? :lol:
LOL. I would love to PM you the winning numbers for next week, however I need them myself due to the need for a Fowler & a Countess & some other stuff.

Oh & my prediction was based on what was happening out on my line. Seems like all the plant life has had a growth spurt!!

Welcome back anyway, about time you stop holidaying!

:roll: ;)
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

Post by MDLR » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:14 pm

Pendo Pilot wrote:Welcome back anyway, about time you stop holidaying!
It's about time you started!!!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Today (1st Sept) saw a "special" being run to bid a fond farewell to Sir Theodore :cry:

The GVT stock was assembled and here we see Matt (Sir Haydn), who was arranging the delivery of the loco.......

After leaving Westwood Station, I managed to photograph the train passing Loscoe Halt. (Where the "L" has the L gone from Loscoe???)

Again at Ivy Bridge.

Standing at St. Peters Crossing, we see the train leaving Codnor Wood for the last time.

Then catch sight of it again at Quarry Siding.

Here the special makes its final pass through Brinsley

Before entering Westwood Station for the last time :cry:

The loco is now in Berry Hill Works receiving attention before moving on (not very far) to it's new home shed.
The Andel coach will become a part of the W&LLR "Talyllyn Heritage rake" while the two wooden bodied carriages will (eventually) be re-painted into corporate livery.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Nice, there are some really lovely places on your railway there! Really lovely!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Fantastic photo's Greg, looks really nice & proper branchline like. I see we have the same telegraph poles as well! ;)

Line looking less overgrown than the last set of pics, P-way must of been busy..

How come the loco's going, funding a new project or paying for some of the previous ones... :D :D :D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 pm

How come the loco's going, funding a new project or paying for some of the previous ones...
Compromise between the two :D  I've made the decision that now I've built up a live steam roster of loco's, the steam outline battery engines are redundant.
The sale will offset some work on not exactly a previous, but current project (the Lady Anne - currently in Berry Hill Works for an overhaul) so I can accumulate the "future project" funds !

BTW Did anyone spot the addition to the quarry complex courtesy of the eagle eye and much appreciated efforts of SLRMidge? (I've still to paint it but couldn't resist putting it in place :D )

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 pm

A flurry of activity down at Pentrich Sidings and much midnight oil burning has produced (at last) a rake of "Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway) coaching stock - saving the company a fortune on buying in new stock :D
They were in use for the first time today (8,9,10 !) at the Butterley evening meet of the East Midlands 16mm group

3 comp first/third (ancient Brandbright kit)

2 comp all third (scratchbodge)

all third open - Aargh, look at the puppy :D

3 comp plus guard bogie coach (scratchbodge)

While in a high gear, the works also applied the data to all of the company's goods stock. Here's one of "Wills Wonderful Waggons" that made up tonights mixed train

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Coor, looks fantastic. I see what you mean about the red. I think the brick red penrhyn ones will look ok with them. Lovely with blodwhyn.
I am getting a nice rake of Olive and Elm carriages togethor which would also look nice!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:30 am

Ahhh cute puppy! :D

Very nice coaches there mate. Is the brandbright one inside framed? The scrathbodge ones have turned out fantastic indeed.

Nice lettering on the wagon, wheres that from then?

They all look great running together, they match well.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 am

Pendo Pilot wrote:Ahhh cute puppy!  :D

Very nice coaches there mate. Is the brandbright one inside framed? The scrathbodge ones have turned out fantastic indeed.

Nice lettering on the wagon, wheres that from then?

They all look great running together, they match well.
Thanks Shane, glad you like the puppy!

The lettering is a waterslide transfer sheet from Brandbright ref: RSA78
It contains weights, tares and numbers.
The crests are from Locolines, you just send in your own artwork and get an A4 sheet of crests! (Beware though, they're on a white background so have to be cut out.)

Not quite sure what you mean about the Brandbright coach frames, the body frame is moulded (ie not seperate) detail, while the chassis frame is what you'ld probably call an "outside frame" (visible with the running board in the photo). The axleguards are the awful Tenmille nylon ones - I will be replacing them. :roll:

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Woo- Hoo! 1,000th post - thought I'd make it a "work in progress" :D

First off, having decided on the corporate colour scheme for the coaching stock, I've repainted the "Heritage Rake" (Lollypop Farm) that's reserved for use behind the Mamod and at the same time converted the Ezee range coach to something more suitable to stick on the back....

Meanwhile, I haven't been using the ex Loscoe Grange Brickworks flat wagons for want of suitable loads. So, first off, a repainted crate found in the toy section in a charity shop

and then (it's been done so many times before that it's becoming a cliche, but...) a repainted toy steam engine

Finally, though the P.Way gang got the hut they campaigned for, they found it too small to use as stores and accomodation! After much harassment, they're finally getting a mess room :D

Still bits to do on all of 'em, but doing them in parallel saves paint / glue drying time! (and between them they're using up more stuff from the "Bits Box")

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Cool, the ezee coach looks nice :D, like the tracktion engine load too :D
Thanks
Jack

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Well the P.Way messroom is 99.9% finished (I thought it was finished until I took the photo's - then noticed the door handle is missing! :roll: )

The coach is a scratchbuild from Methsniffer via eBay I got a while ago. As a "truescale" 16mm model it was too small to run with the "Accuhouse" stock and too large to use with the Heritage rake :cry:

Complete with 1950's/60's pin up posters and calendar!

They left one seat in! (auto focus wouldn't work in this light, but the book is "The Catcher In The Rye"!

Plasticard roof, Costa Coffee plastic straw guttering with plastic tube downpipe into a Back2Bay6 barrel, porch made from guess what? (Costa Coffee stirrers :D ).
The "tools of the trade" fishplate bolt spanners and hand lamp from the bits box - as was the broom, seagull and flower tub. The chimney is a section of plastic tube.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:11 pm

That looks superb, well done :D

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Looks fantastic mate, bit clean though! :D :D You need evidence of point grease, I'm sure you remember how that stuff gets everywhere. Really nice though, is this going outside or is it a take in?

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:27 pm

Ah-ha! Grease! Just what I need to "balance" it with a drum of the stuff on the right hand side! Cheers Shane :D

It's going to be a leave out behind the Loco Shed (I leave all my buildings out) so all the joints have plenty of Uhu! :D

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 pm

If only you could get some 16mm scale workboots & paint them black on the bottom & tread them all in & out the place! I still remember my oppo in Madeley Jcn box when the P-way did that to his freshly shipshape linolium floor that he had been doing for about 6 hours one sunday daytime. Was not happy!.

As for leaving out, will the open window not cause problems with damp? Looks superb as I said though, will be adding something similar in time. I've just started on some buildings using the Thermalite block idea, have you tried that?