The CVLR gets it's new home (WIP railway & stock)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:19 pm

it's alive!!! Currently growling around the garden on test & run in with a battery pack taped to the bonnet!? :roll: After trials it will be time to wire it all up with rc. :?
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Pendo Pilot:60287 wrote:it's alive!!! Currently growling around the garden on test & run in with a battery pack taped to the bonnet!? :roll:  After trials it will be time to wire it all up with rc. :?
:confused2: Wot No Pics?

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Right todays efforts..

After fettling with the coupling rods & filing the holes a bit the motion does not bind.. Tested on the bench for 20 minutes with regular inspections to tighten anything loose.

The frame length was looked at to see what could be done....

& a pair of frame extension test pieces were made out of thick plasticard. Hopefull y these will be used as templates later on to make some out of steel..

Then & only 30 minutes ago, she ran under her own power on the line. Hardwired 6 AA cells to the motor & of she growled.

She did 6 laps of the line with a couple of stops to check round the loco.

After that she was declared fit (aside from a little bit of fettling with a slight bind) & is now awaiting a rewire with full RC.
Hopefully this loco will become very useful & reliable...We will see...

Afdter rewire it will be details added & a clean up.. ;)
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Great stuff! - that chassis really suits the body so apart from the improved reliability, nice mod! :D

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:07 pm

well the roundjack/JackHouse is currently running in (with 11 on!). Been at it for 40 minutes so far on the 11.1v Li-Po battery. Will see what the duration is but I don't think it will match the 3 hours I used to get with the old setup. Bigger motor & heavier loads I'm wure will take there toll on duration.

Anyway almost finished aside from a few details. Lights & RC rewired in now & all working correctly.

Must agree with Greg, I feel the chassis matches the body rather well, better than the original I think..

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:28 pm

that is one hench diesel!  Definitely how to do it properly. That will not be falling to bits anytime soon.

Did you replace the plasticard aft frames?

Awesome  :)
proudly flying in the face of convention

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Hya chap, still running plastic rear frame pieces at the moment. I'm far to cack handed to make a good job of cutting & drilling the rear frame pieces so will wait until I see my ELR chums & see what they can do for me. Be a shame to mess it all up with ropey frame ends. :D

Besides the plastic frame pieces have so far survived not only holding the end frame massive brass weight block & drawgear but also having 12 accy wagons hanging off the back. Still will replace as time allows.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:40 pm

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lvDWR_q9X4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8lvDWR_q9X4?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Did not even feel it! :twisted: :twisted:

The Rapier gets taken to the works for chopping. :D

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Not the little Rapier?! :(
A steam propelled life-style.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Oh well, life goes on, except for your Rapier! :twisted: :lol:

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 pm

That's a proper bit of engineering is that, like it!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Another lines rolling stock earns it's keep on the CVLR today. The remains of the MHLR which is closely tied in with the CVLR (2 resident locos are ex MHLR) paid a visit.

Freight working.

Giving it some beans up box hill bank.

Thunderbird!!

More thunderbirding.

Just like buses!! The line gets it's first proper thunderbird & then another one visits...

On shed.

Had a really good afternoon Pete cheers. Didnt get many pics & none of Linda which was a shame. Too monged from shift lag! :roll: ;)
Pete took some shots though...

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Cheers for the great afternoon Shane, twas good fun! Will get my pics sorted in a bit, plus the video.  :D

Edit: Just noticed in the pic of the Jackhouse hauling my Bertie, that both are numbered No. 4!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Ace pictures! Looks great fun, I'll bet The MHLR locos were glad to be running again.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Great pics both of you, nice to see the former MHLR locos out again and hauling much longer trains then they ever did in Cornwall by the looks of it... :D
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:50 am

Excellent stuff! The CVLR is certainly maturing very nicely, some A1 shots of loco's, stock and scenery there chaps :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:11 am

Enjoy  ;)

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GnNG7XmOkDw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GnNG7XmOkDw?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:06 am

mhlr:60587 wrote:Enjoy  ;)
I did! And it looks like you may have enjoyed the day too - great stuff!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:11 am

Stunning railway, beautiful scenic treatment, excellent cinematography, a feast of steam.....oh, and a great sound track.
What's not to like?