The High Weald Light Railway (HWLR), ex B&MLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Tom
Fireman
Fireman

The High Weald Light Railway (HWLR), ex B&MLR

Post by Tom » Mon May 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi All,

I started out in 16mm about a month ago working my way up from 009 and other narrow gauge scales, I have already started many projects which i will talk about below and keep you informed about in the next few weeks, months and hopefully years....... Due to living in rented accomadation and having no garden whatsoever, The B&MLR will just consist of an Oval of track, Rolling Stock and Locos, although this may change in the forseeable future.

I got the name for the railway from the 2 villages I live between Brenchley and Matfield which are in Kent. The railways name was also closely contested by Jacobs Wharf which i think is somehwere on the Thames in London? and i didnt feel that Jacobs Wharf Light Railway had a buzz to its name, But id rather base it around where I live. (i suppose it could be 2 railways that joined after one went bust? lets just see how eveything else goes first)  :D

The B&MLR's Rolling Stock Fleet is very varied at the moment, it contains the following all in varied stages of completion:

1 IP Ezee Range Gaurds Van
1 IP Ezee Range Goods Van
1 IP Ezee Range Coach
2 Wiskit Tipper Wagons

I have started scratchbuilding the following items

a Bogie Cattle Wagon
a Bogie Timber Wagon
a Slate Wagon using BBQ Skewers

My Loco Fleet is nil at the moment but i plan to scratchbuild a loco along the lines of Douglas Ferriera of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.

I am open to new ideas and i am happy for criticism's (from what ive seen your all not like that  :D ).

Cheers

Tom  :D

P.S. Sorry for the Essay!!!  :P
Last edited by Tom on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Cool, you decided on name ;) Good Luck!
Thanks
Jack

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon May 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Super, look forward to progress and pics! You're definately gunna need to make that loco otherwise you have nowt to haul all that nice stock you have! :lol:

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 pm

An update from the B&MLR: 26/5/10

Alot has been happening at the B&MLR over the last few days, and i thought i would show you what ive been doing and see what you think, all rolling stock shown here is work in progress and due to the paint supplies running out i am now waiting for more to arrive.

Here is the Guardsvan from the IP Ezee Range: As you can see the luggage door and guards door needs a second coat and the luggage door needs its black lining. it also needs the floor and chassis as you can see,

The whiskers one the guards van are 50% done, the one on the right being complete and the one on the left needing finishing off

In the end i hope to have an interior in the van including a brake and table maybe a stove etc.

This is the Goods Van and this too is from the IP Ezee Range, I am currently working on making the doors slidy, i have given the floor a planked effect, and hope to add luggage and other items. This also needs its chassis etc

The workers down at the Jacobs Wharf Sheds have also been busy scratchbuilding a bogie cattle wagon, as you can see it still needs a front and this will have 2 doors (open at either end) and a roof or some sort.

I hope you like the progress so far, please comment and give any ideas of how i can make things better  :D

Cheers
Tom  :D
Last edited by Tom on Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed May 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Oops Sorry about the Photos :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers :D

Tom

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 am

You need to post the URL of the image itself, not the webpage it's displayed on. To get the image's URL, right click on it and select "properties". This brings up a box containing the image's properties, its URL should be at the top of the list.

So, for example, the URL for your first shot is:

Code: Select all

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4642486729_df8e7a8a4f.jpg[/img]
And to prove that it works:

Hope this helps :)

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Thu May 27, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks mate it did help!! all sorted now apart from how do i make the images bigger?

Cheers :D

Tom

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Fri May 28, 2010 6:53 pm

Talking about brake van interiors........ visit Cambrian Models

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/

who do NA33 Guard's Brake Standard for £1.50!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi All,

Little has happened at the B&MLR over the past few weeks, so there isnt really anything to report, but there will be 2 major projects going ahead in the next few weeks and months, one of these being the lines first loco and the other one ....... well ill just keep you guessing, because im cruel like that  :D
NA33 Guard's Brake Standard
Thanks for the info Brian i have one of these already along with a radiator grill and some rivets  :D

The question I need answering by the people who know is:

What is the best and cheapest wood to make a diesel loco out of? and what considerations do i have to take into account? (The loco will be along the lines of Douglas Ferreria of the R&ER)

Thanks Again,

Tom

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Very nice, good work :D
Thanks
Jack

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi All,

Im glad to say some work has been going on over the last 2 weeks on the B&MLR, this includes alot of work on the many different peices of rolling stock and the completion of the lines first wagon.

The line has also purchased a camera so higher quality photos will now be present in forthcoming posts.

As i know you all like photos, heres a little collection of how the rolling stock is looking in its current state:

So here we have the CooperCraft LNWR Coal Wagon which is basically complete apart from coupling pin and decals/transfers

Now heres the Goods Van:

And for Greg (Narrow Minded): The Wiskit Tippers

The Guards Van:

Thats all at the moment really :( i hope youve enjoyed the photos
Cheers
Tom

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Very nice, that coopercraft wagon is amzing :shock: :shock:
Thanks
Jack

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:40 pm

You've been pretty busy :D
Ian of the SLR(N)

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 pm

You've been pretty busy :D
Well yeah i spose i have but i would have like to have got more done though, The progress on the loco hasn't got any further than a rough drawing, i just start too many things at once :D

Tom

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:01 pm

the coopercraft wagon really is brilliant! :D

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:05 pm

the coopercraft wagon really is brilliant!

Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi All,

After a weekend of not doing much i started yet ANOTHER project (cant decide whether its good or bad). I am trying to recreate the guards van from 'The Avalon Line' Range (09 Gauge), for those of you that dont know heres a picture:

So far i have the 2 sides and the front done, with some of the iron work cut out and have started the labourious job of adding the rivets,

Heres some pictures of the progress:
The 2 Sides painted in Humbrol No.19
The first bit of Iron Work to be rivetted, These will be eventually painted black

Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi All,

Another milestone for the line was reached today, this being the lines first Goods Van becoming operational. It is the Goods Van from IP's Ezee Range. (the roof is grey not white, couldnt seem to get the right angle to show this)
The Door Handles are Staples as i currently dont have any brass rod. I also hope to get around to numbering and lettering the Lines Rolling Stock

There have also been lots of packages arriving at the Jacobs Wharf Workshops, these have included a Binnie Skip, Binnie Slate Wagon, another CooperCraft LNWR Wagon and a Bolster.

Other items like the passenger coach, guards van, the tipper wagons, figures and some accessories have been handed over to the Pattenden Lane Paintshops for them to do their magic on.

The Lines Manager has also come to a decision that the lines first loco will be a Rapier from the Ezee Range (its name has already been chosen), which will hopefully be followed by 2 scratchbuilt locos (whos names have also been chosen)

Cheers

Tom

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Looks good :D
Thanks
Jack

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:51 pm