The High Weald Light Railway (HWLR), ex B&MLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20 am

Tom:42289 wrote:Hi All,

So here's the pics of the new loco its an 0-6-4, with track pick ups but will be converted to take power from a battery box but it will only have the power of an 0-6-0 as that is all the chassis is, as the other 0-0-4 is a non powered bogie. It needs alot of work but theres some other mods i want to do to it before it enters service on the HWLR. I will take it to the Longmead Branch for a run on the first week of November and I dont know what the overall colour will be yet.

Enough said here are the pictures:

As from the photos you can see that I have already removed the Buffers, and the Water Tank Covers these are just 2 things that are going to be redone  :D The initial plans are to put 2 headlamps at the front and 1 at the rear of the loco, possibly raise the cab roof 1-2cm to give it a bit more hieght, smokebox handles on the smokebox door and anything else i can think of that can be done

Feel free to comment with any other suggestions  :D

Cheers

Tom
What became of this loco Tom? I'm curious to see what you made of it.

I've enjoyed seeing the pictures as you build up yor wagon fleet. Your wagons and coaches are lovely pieces of modelmaking.
What has Reality done for you lately?

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 am

Annie:74857 wrote:
Tom:42289 wrote:Hi All,

So here's the pics of the new loco its an 0-6-4, with track pick ups but will be converted to take power from a battery box but it will only have the power of an 0-6-0 as that is all the chassis is, as the other 0-0-4 is a non powered bogie. It needs alot of work but theres some other mods i want to do to it before it enters service on the HWLR. I will take it to the Longmead Branch for a run on the first week of November and I dont know what the overall colour will be yet.

Enough said here are the pictures:

As from the photos you can see that I have already removed the Buffers, and the Water Tank Covers these are just 2 things that are going to be redone  :D The initial plans are to put 2 headlamps at the front and 1 at the rear of the loco, possibly raise the cab roof 1-2cm to give it a bit more hieght, smokebox handles on the smokebox door and anything else i can think of that can be done

Feel free to comment with any other suggestions  :D

Cheers

Tom
What became of this loco Tom?  I'm curious to see what you made of it.

I've enjoyed seeing the pictures as you build up yor wagon fleet.  Your wagons and coaches are lovely pieces of modelmaking.

If I'm honest Annie, nothing :oops: Its been put in a box downstairs ever since and I'd completley forgotten about it :roll:

Thankyou for your kind comments too, I've really enjoyed building up a good sized fleet, but im sure theres still room for many more yet! :D
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi All,

Now for something a little bit different for me: A 7/8ths scale slate wagon.
For sometime now I've had that urge to have a little dabble in 7/8ths but like others the cost of it put me off. But I bit the bullet and purchased 2 kits from Mike of ACME Eng. The kits are great fun and simple to build and dont cost alot considering the size of them :D (Note: I have yet to paint the floor and glue it in place)

Here are the results so far:

And a quick size comparison:

Enjoy! :D
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi All,

Thought that I better do a post as its been 3 months since the last one, dont worry you havent missed much! :D

Recently the Manager decided it was about time that the Quarrymens Coaches were refreshed, so they have been in the Paintshops having a new lick of Paint and the Balcony on the Brake Van was finally fixed properly after many months of being broken :roll: (The only thing that has changed here is the Black around the balcony as it was Red Oxide before)

Also the Ashbury Coach has been in for a paint (from LNWR Plum and Cream to LNWR Blackberry Black) but I think this looks even worse than it did before - (Better colourwise but I should have sanded the panels, before painting it at the start), the sides have now warped inwards and the roofs gone missing, so ill see what happens with this. It might get sold and Ill get a completley new one to start from stratch.

2 Bug Boxes have been ordered to start building up a Passenger Fleet and another Quarrymens Coach is currently sitting downstairs ready and waiting to be wrapped for Christmas, all of these should have joined the fleet by New Year

Tom
Cheers Tom

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:39 pm

They look cracking!
Thanks
Jack

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi All,

I've finally got around to making an appearance after a few hectic months to say the least, with the arrival of a puppy amongst other things so not a lot has happened on the modelling front, with Christmas seeing the most modelling done, with the odd bit here and there since :(  But here is a few photos showing what I've been up to.  :D

I managed to  make a start on one of the Jurassic Models Bug Box Kits that I purchased last year, in its current  state:

Also the 3rd Quarrymen's Coach has been added to the fleet after being built over Christmas, bringing the rake up to 4 including the Brake Van

There still a few projects that remain, including: Another Bug Box Kit
and a Locolines Funkey Diesel Kit just to name a couple along with many other tasks.
Last edited by Tom on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Tom

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 am

Those wagons are looking great!!!
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind comments!

Just thought I'd give you a quick update to keep you up to speed.
As usual things have been hectic, but I have been keeping myself busy with 4 different projects (2 x Bug Boxes, Another Quarrymen's Coach (The last one now honest!) and the Re-painting of the Ashbury Coach. I am still awaiting the arrival of some supplies of paint for the Droplights, but once this arrives I can really start to get on and finish some of the coaches.

Here's a quick shot of the Ashbury undergoing its repaint to wet your appetites:

More to follow soon..... :D

P.S. Andrew, thanks for the advice, hope you like what your seeing so far? :lol:
Cheers Tom

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Tom:86041 wrote: P.S. Andrew, thanks for the advice, hope you like what your seeing so far?  :lol:
Yep, looking good! I built a couple of Ashburys (aren't they tiny?!) but plumped for a red livery for those - looks nice in green. It'll look good with your Birmingham bug boxes. Are you going to pick out the footboards in black?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Driver
Driver

Post by 90733 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Looks great!
Thanks
Jack

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Cheers Gents!

Andrew: Yeah they are tiny! I had painted it in Red Oxide after having its other numerous liveries, but then it matched the Quarrymen's Rake, so went for the green instead so as you said it would match the other stock as and when I got it. Yes the footboards will be in black, I was just seeing what the green looked like, but decided it was a bit of a green overload!

The paint for the droplights arrived today, so I have been getting on with those. The next expense I suppose is all the wheels and buffers I will need :? :D
Cheers Tom

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi All,
Here’s another quick update from the HWLR Workshops as I haven’t done an update since July last year, but I wouldn’t worry you haven’t missed much!! :D As some of you might be aware my Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV) Project has taken up a lot of my time recently, however as this is now near on complete apart from a couple of upgrades and the modules then I have returned to my old projects and rolling stock builds.

Since July the railway has taken delivery of an FfR Early Brakevan, another Bug Box, some more slate wagons and a Gun Powder Van, oh and the MPV of course!!

Here are some shots of the first of the Bug Boxes in its current condition, but there's still alot work to do yet! (The red oxide isn't that bright or shiny in real life!) I must stick that corner back together too!

I've changed my mind over the slate wagon liveries again too (that's about the 4th time now!), so they are going from their current dark grey, to a light grey, (and if I have the patience and am feeling brave, they might have black bobbins too!) The light grey wagon is still work in progress as you can see.

That's all for now!  :D
Cheers Tom

clay45
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by clay45 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:26 pm

what about the railway

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:36 pm

clay45:103305 wrote:what about the railway