The Bishop's Woodland Light Railway (BWLR)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Bishop's Woodland Light Railway (BWLR)

Post by BWLR » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm

Here is the story of my railway which started 6 years ago and took a couple of years or so to complete the basic construction. Since then, work has gone on to improve and upgrade the railway. It consists of around 140 ft of main line that loops its way around the edge of the garden winding its way through the borders, across a pond, and 3 paths and numerous other obstacles. There is a branch off for the terminus station and there are 3 main stations and 2 small halts.

I think every model railway needs a back story, so I will start with an short explanation of why this little railway came to be built.

The general theme is based on the light railways of the Vale of York. It is one of the many lines built right across the country during the light railway boom that came in the wake of the Light Railways Act of 1896. Most of the light railways in the area such as the Derwent Valley, Easingwold and Cawood, Wistow & Selby were standard gauge railways, so the choice of using 45mm gauge for the line was taken mainly because it felt more appropriate, as it just looks a bit more heavyweight and more in keeping with those lines. The railway was built to serve the various agricultural and industrial concerns

As a fictional line none of the place names are real, however they are all mash-ups of other names in the area, so they sound like they ought to exist!

The railway was built to serve the various agricultural and industrial concerns in the small but busy market town of Bishop's Hutton. Like many places the town had been bypassed during the first railway boom of the mid 19th century. Attempts to join the town with the rail network had failed on a number of occasions but around 1905, the people of the town and other surrounding villages could wait no more and funds were raised for a light railway to be built.

The railway starts at the village of Claxton Percy, a substantial village situated on one of the many lines operated by the North Eastern Railway that fanned out from the great and historic city of York. The original intention of the BWLR management was to share the NER station with a bay platform for its trains along with exchange sidings for transhipment of goods. Unfortunately relations with that company became frosty, so an agreement couldn't be reached. It was also going to require construction of an additional bridge to reach the mainline station, so the directors realised that the money saved by stopping short short of the main line would enable the construction of their own dedicated station. Later on, relations with the NER thawed, and the line was extended to allow transhipment of goods at the main line station. As a result the BWLR Claxton Percy station was no longer technically a terminus and the line curves away after the station before crossing a bridge towards the main line. (well that is way of explaining the line that goes on to form the continuous run!)

Claxton Percy Station

Some of you may recognise the station building as being based on the those of the Derwent Valley Light Railway and is a standard style for the main stations and some other buildings on the line. The BWLR actually slightly pre-dates the construction of the DVLR so I'm assuming that they must have been impressed with the style of the BWLR stations and subsequently engaged the same contractors! The station has a wide range of facilities, including a long loop to run trains around, a siding for carriages, a goods siding and shed along with engine servicing facilities.

Claxton Percy Goods Shed

The next station is the halt at Ginger's Wood, a local beauty spot and popular with walkers.

After a tight curve the lines crosses at path via one of four bridges on the line.

Before reaching Thorpe Underbush, a station which lives up to its name as it resides in the shadow of several large shrubs including a Philadelphus and some Viburnums, wafting wonderful scents for any waiting passengers during the summer months. The track plan here is fairly basic, with a passing loop and a goods siding.

Thorpe Underbush Station:

That covers around one half of the railway, more to come in a further installment!
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Bishop's Woodland Light Railway (BWLR)

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:56 pm

I like it very much so far, more please....
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:05 am

That's a very nice line and one that is really showing how to use greenery for atmosphere. I like it very much. Yes, more of this please....

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:43 am

That looks like a well thought out line. It is only recently that I've realised that sidings are something that my line lacks other than at one station. Please share more!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:51 am

How I always imagined a garden railway should be (before I struggled with my own attempts), particularly the first and last pix. Lovely.

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks for the kind comments :) My aim was to have a very natural look, with few changes to the existing planting and the railway looking like it was planned through the existing terrain (just like the real thing). In places the planting gives a lush, almost tropical look at certain times of the year, which isn't really in keeping with Yorkshire!

I do have quite a few sidings as I do like to do some shunting and run goods trains that pick up and drop off along the line. It also helps to have some spare sidings to store stock during busier operating sessions. Another thing I like to do is leave an odd wagon or two parked around the railway in a siding, even if I have no intention of running any trains. It just gives an atmosphere of a quiet backwater of a railway, where just possibly a train might arrive at some point, maybe in a day or two to pick up the wagons!

Peter

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:42 am

BWLR wrote: ↑Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:21 pm Another thing I like to do is leave an odd wagon or two parked around the railway in a siding, even if I have no intention of running any trains.
Me too!

Thanks for the photos of your lovely railway - I like all of it, but the station buildings in particular, they're beuatifully done. And the way the whole thing sits in the landscape - as Bertie said, just how one imagines a garden railway should be...

Andrew.

SeamusOD
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SeamusOD » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:13 am

Very natural railway not over the top like the idea

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun May 09, 2021 6:23 pm

In part 2 we continue our trip along the line.

Up until now it has been been fairly easy going for the loco crew, with the line either level or on gentle downhill grades. However as trains leave Thorpe Underbrush towards Bishop's Hutton they are faced with Sundial Bank, a short upward stretch of 1 in 40 on a curve which requires steam locos to have the regulator opened quite a bit, especially with heavier trains.

Looking down Sundial Bank towards Thorpe Underbush

"Cawood Castle" reaches the top with a mixed train.

As we crest the summit, we cross two more bridges, firstly crossing over a path, and then on to the most impressive engineering feature on the line, as it crosses the pond on a bowstring girder bridge (acquired from MVL Bridges).

"Goliath" crosses the path with a train of tippers. The bridge is a wood built lattice under girder, and is very light and easy to move when path access is required!

"Caledonia" crossing the river.

Soon afterwards we reach the request halt at Wallace Bridge, popular with anglers, bathers and boating enthusiasts as well as visitors frequenting the small pub (The Fat Cat) next to the halt.

We are now at the summit of the line as it curves through a short rocky cutting as we approach our final destination.

Before then, there is a junction with another line branching off to the left. But we continue straight on and down a steep (1 in 38) descent into the station at Bishop's Hutton.

This station has been completely re-modelled in the last 12 months, and now has the largest station building on the line, two platforms, goods facilities, a PO siding for the Bishop's Hutton Brewery, and a carriage siding. The station is situated behind a shed which means limited access for operation, and experience with the original layout indicated that changes were needed to facilitate easier operation. The platform was also in need of replacement as it was wooden and only intended as a temporary arrangement when first built, so a complete re-build of the entire station area was undertaken last summer and autumn. The re-build also allowed a longer loop more in keeping with the length of loop at the other main stations and so allowed for slightly longer trains. Originally the main platform was on the side next to the shed, but after various alternative plans were drawn up, the best access for operation required it to be on the other side next to the shed. The law of unintended consequences kicked in at this point as amongst my carriage roster I have a couple of Corris coaches (excellent Lineside Hut kits) which have centre access on one side only, and the hitherto all the platforms on the railway were on the same side.... So I ended up building an additional island platform into the plan to accommodate those coaches!

Here is the original layout.

With a similar viewpoint of the new version.

There is some work on additional detailing still to do plus there is a low relief brewery being constructed. The latter is on the back burner for now as I would prefer to spend the summer imbibing the products of breweries rather than building models of them!

Finally, if instead of taking the Bishop's Hutton route, we take the left branch instead, our train would complete the loop of the garden by returning to Claxton Percy via a 6ft bridge which crosses the path and part of the lawn.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 09, 2021 6:32 pm

What a lovely railway! I don't think I recall ever seeing a line with such a distinctive look and feel to the architecture. I particularly like the little halt...

How do you operate the terminus behind the shed?! It looks to be a very tight squeeze!

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 pm

How do you operate the terminus behind the shed?! It looks to be a very tight squeeze!
It is! However it's not quite as bad as it seems from the photos, as there is good access from the side of the shed to the buffer stop end of the station(from whence the photos are taken) and access round the other side to the points at the station throat. The is also enough room in the area next to the fence to operate the entire station if needed but it is a bit tight. It isn't ideal and i'd love to move the shed in the longer term.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Your railway looks really delightful in a mature garden setting. It really complements the garden, and vice versa. Mine feels very open and exposed in comparison!
Phil

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon May 10, 2021 12:08 am

Fits in very well into the garden.

Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 10, 2021 8:19 am

Nice and neat line. I love the first photo. You have it just right for atmosphere with the loco centred in the shot.

Well done on your explanation too.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon May 10, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi BWLR,

What a super little railway. The backstory is great. I love them and feel they are essential if a railway is going to be working one, as yours clearly is. Like you, I love operating a service. Your stations and sidings fit beautifully into the landscape. Being quite minimal makes them blend in all the more in my opinion. You have some lovely rolling stock too. I look forward very much to seeing more.

SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:01 pm

A new scenic addition to the line.

The buildings on the railway are a mix of scratchbuilt and some kits, mainly resin. As part of the rebuilding of Bishop's Hutton Station I included a siding for a lineside industry, with the intention of this being the Bishop's Hutton Brewery. Early this year I started work on a substantial brewery using foam board as the basic structure. However it has become apparent that I just won't get it finished in the near future, so have been thinking about getting a suitable kit to put on that siding as a temporary measure (and then could re-purpose elsewhere as and when I finish the other one).

However at Peterborough I spotted something on the Miniature Building Company stand that looked ideal and was ready to go. It is already in use...

I think it looks rather good.

IMG_0762_1024.jpg
IMG_0762_1024.jpg (246.73 KiB) Viewed 5517 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:20 pm

Looks perfect. Nice find.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:23 pm

That's very nice. He doesn't seem to have a website, but has a facebook page I see. https://www.facebook.com/grahamarmitagembc
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:17 am

No idea why I've missed this thread. What a lovely looking railway. As someone has said, the epitome of classic garden railway modelling.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:06 pm

I've not posted on this thread for a while. Its not so much that I haven't been up to much with the railway, just never get round to posting too often! You may have seen my Soller tram car in one of the other threads, so that is one project I've been working on over the winter. I've also renovated one of my wooden bridges, and recently carried out a little bit of track renewal and realignment (more of that to come later)

However one thing I've not previously got round to doing is to make a track plan of the railway and show how it fits into the garden, so here you are!
BWLR plan 2.jpg
BWLR plan 2.jpg (442.86 KiB) Viewed 4871 times