The Waldeker EisenBahn

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Waldeker EisenBahn

Post by thornmini » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:36 pm

First of all, I want to apologize for my delay in starting this thread --- posting Youtube links or videos is still a stumbling block for me. Anyway, enough said so I can get you to the good stuff. I hope you enjoy my initial effort at making videos as much as I really enjoyed the process of making it.
Last edited by thornmini on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waldeker EisenBahn

philipy

Re: The Waldeker EisenBahn

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:51 pm

thornmini wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:36 pm First of all, I want to apologize for my delay in starting this thread --- posting Youtube links or videos is still a stumbling block for me. Anyway, enough said so I can get you to the good stuff. I hope you enjoy my initial effort at making videos as much as I really enjoyed the process of making it.
[video]https://www.youtu.be/u4rja5Oc-K8[/video]
Hi,
Nearly correct, but you shouldn't have the " www " in the link. It should be just https://youtu.be/u4rja5Oc-K8 with the [video] [/video] at beginning and end

That is a beautiful railway, thanks for showing us.
Philip

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Philip -- I knew I was not doing something right!! Can't thank you enough --- been scratching my head for a long time!
Waldeker EisenBahn

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:29 pm

Really enjoyable video. Gives a really good overview of your line. It certainly looks busy ..... :D

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:49 pm

That is one amazing garden railway, looks superb, I love all the little industries and the layout of it all. Great stuff. :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Thanks for posting this - I must confess that I've not yet found time to watch it (life's horribly busy at the moment!), but I'm really looking forward to it...

All the best,

Andrew.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:45 am

Very nice.
I know we have some people on the forum who are very vocal in their dislike of background music on videos, however I thought your choice complemented the visuals superbly.

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Thanks guys -- Appreciate your very kind comments as always. The video was just a one-time affair (so far). As I've said previously, like building the railway, all aspects of doing the video were also "a labor of love". I must stress that at all times I'm using "labor" as a word denoting fun, joy, amazement, a sense of accomplishment and all things good about this great hobby. All you have to do is take that first step towards making a layout and a whole new life opens up to you -- you begin to start learning and continually learn all manner of things and find that you have all kinds of skills you never thought you had or would ever even try. But I digress --- it's just been so much fun that I want to encourage anyone to share in it.
Waldeker EisenBahn

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:27 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:45 am Very nice.
I know we have some people on the forum who are very vocal in their dislike of background music on videos, however I thought your choice complemented the visuals superbly.
I am one who has mentioned the use of loud music on videos and at certain parts of this video that occurred drowning out the narration. The choice of music was most appropriate though.
Perhaps the sound balance is not good on my laptop if no one else feels the need to mention it?
I like the civil engineering and landscape of this railway, great work.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:27 pm
Perhaps the sound balance is not good on my laptop if no one else feels the need to mention it?
I always turn the sound off on video's. I'm usually not very keen on the music but more importantly I get it in the neck from SWMBO who hates the sound of loco's ( both steam and diesel)! :roll:
Philip

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 pm

I was really fortunate to find an album of "German Folk Music" on the internet. And, while editing the video it was pure serendipity that the songs just happened to end and re-start at just the right times. Otherwise, the editing program I was using did not allow for good control of the volume so I kind of had to plunder about to get the music and narration right. I'm glad you enjoyed the WEB.
Waldeker EisenBahn

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:14 pm

That's some of the very best modelling I've ever seen. Can scarcely imagine the amount of work it must take to maintain it all. :shock:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

thornmini
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by thornmini » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Thanks Aaron. But you are perfectly correct --- upkeep is tough especially since everything except the trains stays outside 24/7 and 365 a year. As all of us know Mother Nature can be very cruel. In fact I am now in the slow process of refurbishing many of the buildings, etc. throughout the layout. As the video was made way back in 2014, we (on the southern Atlantic coast) have been visited an unfortunate number of times these last few years by hurricanes and storms which have taken their toll. But --- the love for our trains always wins out!
Waldeker EisenBahn

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:56 am

I am another that intensely hate loud music on videos, it tends for me, to detract from the brilliance of the skills that go with the building and the running of the locos and rolling stock, plus the building themselves.

And I have to say that this is a vastly superior line that I enjoyed immensely. The skills that were used to construct this line are some of the best I have seen. Those building are very very impressive and the weathering is second to none. Also the fuelling station is superb with the rust and flaking paint....I could go on but the video shows us how a line could be with an enjoyment value that surpass's most others.