Sandstone & Termite partial closure

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Sandstone & Termite partial closure

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am

Jimmyb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 am If I recall both the Southport and the Blackpool South via Lytham and St Annes line though met in Preston (where I did my train spotting in the 1960s) were not a "line" as you would need to change at Preston - has been a few years and I could wrong.
I used to travel on the line from Churchtown, a Suburb of Southport, to (Lytham St Annes) to visit Fairhaven Lake. Fairhaven, another Suburb of Lytham St Annes, when I was a very young lad. Coming from Southport, born and bred for 19 and then living on the Fylde Coast for 33 years, before moving to Longton near Preston for the last 15 years, so you could call me local to the area...... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:39 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am
Jimmyb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:50 am If I recall both the Southport and the Blackpool South via Lytham and St Annes line though met in Preston (where I did my train spotting in the 1960s) were not a "line" as you would need to change at Preston - has been a few years and I could wrong.
I used to travel on the line from Churchtown, a Suburb of Southport, to (Lytham St Annes) to visit Fairhaven Lake. Fairhaven, another Suburb of Lytham St Annes, when I was a very young lad. Coming from Southport, born and bred for 19 and then living on the Fylde Coast for 33 years, before moving to Longton near Preston for the last 15 years, so you could call me local to the area...... :thumbright: :thumbright:
Born in Blackpool, Kirkham for a couple of years, and Preston till i joined the forces, all my Mum's family in Lytham and St Annes :D

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am

Jimmyb wrote: ↑Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:39 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am
Born in Blackpool, Kirkham for a couple of years, and Preston till i joined the forces, all my Mum's family in Lytham and St Annes :D
Brilliant... :thumbright: What you doing down in Weston-super-Mare... :?:

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:13 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am Brilliant... :thumbright: What you doing down in Weston-super-Mare... :?:
Ex service, finished in Stafford, and then moved with the work, ready to retire near the coast, but a little warmer than Blackpool :)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:16 pm

Sorry for Hi-Jacking your thread Greg. Please forgive us. :|

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Whoops sorry :oops:

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 am

The demolition continues.
My daughter and 3 grandsons came last Sunday to help. Young boys just love smashing things!
Here's a video...
https://youtu.be/eZ-5w9MfCmw

And 2 days later I developed a hernia. Hmmmm - Ti-tree is getting revenge. :silent:
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:46 am

It's something about removing a much loved build that's is always sad Greg. :( Your'e young helpers we're going at it with real vigour. :thumbright:

Hope you can get that hernia better soon. We can't wait to see your'e next build Greg.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:25 am

It's a miracle you all survived, not a hard hat, safety boot, or high-vis in sight.

:shock: :lol: :thumbleft:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:56 pm

gregh wrote: ↑Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 am The demolition continues.
Young boys just love smashing things!
Gregh, when I read your report I feared the worst, but your boys showed great restraint in their controlled vandalism and even tidied up afterwards. You should be proud.
Will the area be re-instated there or are you content with a reduced system?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:29 pm

I absolutely agree with Peter.

It's nice to see young people who have listened and learned how to achieve physical work safely and efficiently putting it into practice, especially as part of a team. Well done to all concerned.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks for your nice comments about the grandsons, guys. Much appreciated. Very good kids.
And no, there are no plans for any 'replacements'.

I am quite surprised that the treated pine posts that had been buried for 20 years had absolutely NO rot. The other posts - what we call 'oregon' here ( a softwood probably Douglas fir from US) had all rotted just below ground level. The aussie hardwood posts had rotted a bit.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm