Sandstone & Termite partial closure

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Sandstone & Termite partial closure

Post by gregh » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:08 am

By coincidence, while Mr. I.N. Spectre has been traveling to (old) south Wales to inspect the Brockhampton and Umbridge Railway, an investigative reporter in New South Wales has uncovered a secret report on the state of the Sandstone and Termite.

As a result, it has been closed to all traffic between Lilyvale and Ti-tree.

Link to Newspaper article and Report on the closing of Ti-tree

That was the fantasy version. In a few days, Iโ€™ll put up the real reasons for its closing.

Meanwhile, here is the video of the last day of operation.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

philipy

Re: Sandstone & Termite partial closure

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 am

Nice video Greg and I love the report, even though it doesn't make for happy reading.
I do hope that your post headline means what it says and it is only a partial closure. Dare we hope for a re-opening in due course?
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for a great video Greg. It's sad to hear the closing of the line. It will be intriguing to find out what will take its place.

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 am

Nice video Greg and I love the fake newspaper article. I assume the character Will E. Gobust is based on your good self? :D
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:06 am

Like the others I enjoyed the video and newpaper. Here's hoping for Bigger and Better.

Don

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:49 am

idlemarvel wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:42 am Nice video Greg and I love the fake newspaper article. I assume the character Will E. Gobust is based on your good self? :D
Yes, one of my alter-egos.
Thanks for all your comments.
Just to clarify - only about one third of the SaTR will close. There will still be plenty to run (and maintain).
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 am

Following on from the 1950s โ€˜fairytaleโ€™, this is what is really happening in 2019.

Ti-tree station was part of my โ€˜round-the-yardโ€™ line which followed the yard boundaries. See the plan further down. While allowing a continuous run, its main purpose was to form part of the single line, 200m long, end-to-end line of Termite to Sandstone. It has provided a great deal of fun when 4 or 5 visitors tried running their trains while arranging crossings at the 5 intermediate stations. But in reality, I seldom used it on my own. (If you would like to see a video on the whole line running see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwIXRbZ31Q or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dqag7bieGM both are about 10 minutes long.)

The โ€˜round-the-yardโ€™ run was severed in 2017 by a neighbourโ€™s tree dropping branches and damaging a bridge. . see this short videoโ€ฆ

I had then planned to make Ti-tree into a terminus station and actually replaced some track and started building a turntable. BUT...
The baseboard at Ti-tree is 42โ€™ long and made of fibro over old fence palings. About 6โ€™ of the righthand end has now been destroyed by another falling branch. I am very worried about even being in that part of the yard for fear of being hit.
titreepan2sml.jpg
titreepan2sml.jpg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 7443 times

titree smashed1.jpg
titree smashed1.jpg (192.5 KiB) Viewed 7443 times

At tiny Oleander, a similar problem with branches (my tree this time) has punched big holes in the fibro.
oleander holes.jpg
oleander holes.jpg (163.46 KiB) Viewed 7443 times

The track is mostly handmade, brass rails nailed to wood sleepers and is 17 years old. The nails are rusting and it is starting to fall to pieces. It will need a lot of work to fix.

The rest of the layout is 25 years old and is needing more and more maintenance. I have less time to work on, or use the train, because of my wifeโ€™s illness, so I have decided to remove the whole of Ti-tree and the line from Lilyvale. The truncated layout will still provide more than enough work and operations for me.
This is the planโ€ฆ
closing titree2019plan.gif
closing titree2019plan.gif (58.43 KiB) Viewed 7443 times

So very soon, Iโ€™ll have some mates around and we will have a โ€˜closing ceremonyโ€™.
Watch for that video!!!!
Greg from downunder.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:03 am

All makes perfect sense, Greg, sadly. It was in my mind that your reasons would be along those lines ( without knowing any detail, of course). Still, as you say you'll still have plenty left to work with, which is something at least.
Philip

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:49 pm

Sorry to hear of your wife's illness. It does make sense to reduce the amount of maintenance and you will still have a pretty complex layout.

Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:52 am

After seeing your video Greg it's now understandable why you are doing it. Can you not join the track were the x's are just past Melaleuca Station is, or isn't it possible :idea:

You will still have a continuous run then wouldn't you. :?:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:07 am

Sad times, Greg, but understandable given the maintenance issues. Given the level of traffic when you have visitors to the line, it looks like you'll still have plenty of potential in what's left.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 am

Thanks for the comments.
I know the track plan is a bit convoluted, so in simplified form, this will be the new arrangement. There is still a continuous run from Termite to Lilvale reverse loops. I will add a few more sidings at Lilyvale to provide more Operations.
plan after titree removed.jpg
plan after titree removed.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 7247 times
Greg from downunder.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 am

I think that will work very well Greg. You will have the choice of a continuous run via the loops as well as end to end. If you have more than one operator you can have fun working out where you will pass each other.

Don

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am

DonW wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 am I think that will work very well Greg. You will have the choice of a continuous run via the loops as well as end to end. If you have more than one operator you can have fun working out where you will pass each other.

Don
Yes. Maple Jn may become a real bottle-neck with just the one loop and no sidings (and no space to extend).
Greg from downunder.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:37 am

gregh wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:47 am
DonW wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 am I think that will work very well Greg. You will have the choice of a continuous run via the loops as well as end to end. If you have more than one operator you can have fun working out where you will pass each other.

Don
Yes. Maple Jn may become a real bottle-neck with just the one loop and no sidings (and no space to extend).
Just like big railways sometimes.
Don

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:46 am

Community protests have delayed the actual Official Closing, but Management have decided to press ahead with some siding track removal anyhow!
So much for listening to community concerns. Luckily some residents were on hand to record the unauthorised work.

Here Mr Chainsaw starts to clear a fallen log, while the first track panel is readied for lifting.
titree removel A  DSCN0411 s.jpg
titree removel A DSCN0411 s.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 7198 times

The crane swings the first panel up and away.
titree removal B  DSCN0418 s.jpg
titree removal B DSCN0418 s.jpg (182.41 KiB) Viewed 7198 times

The second panel is swung onto the wagon, while Mr Chainsaw clears the next track panel.
titree removal C   DSCN0429 s.jpg
titree removal C DSCN0429 s.jpg (181.36 KiB) Viewed 7198 times
Greg from downunder.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:37 pm

It looks fun to be doing the job properly.

Don

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:36 pm

I love the second photo with the view down the platform; very atmospheric. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am

Great little story Greg. :thumbright:

Love the photos of the crane. :thumbright:

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:26 pm

FWLR wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am Great little story Greg. :thumbright:
Love the photos of the crane. :thumbright:
Thanks Rod. The crane is just an Aldi cheapie with a few mods. I wondered about painting the yellow but then decided it shows up better in pics.
Greg from downunder.