The Candleford Green Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The Candleford Green Light Railway

Post by IanC » Tue May 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Paul_G wrote: โ†‘Sat May 16, 2020 3:44 pm They are quite scary to watch though in any breeze as the metal roof makes them quite top heavy & they do sway alarmingly exacerbated by my being on 32mm track :shock:
Paul,

One way to cure swaying coaches is to leave one bogie to pivot normally and to have two bolts either side of the other bogie pivot just bearing down on the bogie stretcher. They can be screwed up or down to virtually eliminate movement. It's the principle of triangulation. I used to do this with OO coaches that had a wobble.
Ian

Paul_G
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_G » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:52 pm

Hhmm, where did the last few months go?
The Candleford Green Light Railway has had a busy summer hosting lots of socially distanced garden parties with the correct number of visitors until the season ended with Sutton Coldfield getting dragged into the Birmingham Lockdown :-(
Having time on my hands quite a lot has happened in the garden around the railway with a fair bit of planting taking place & a new patio which has opened the whole garden up.
Railway wise some track work has been done to take out some of the lumps & bumps which made driving RC engines fun but proved more problematic for my newly found interest in manual locos. Loco wise my Lady Anne has had the full bling treatment at Locoworks & a quarry hunslet has joined the roster. The Railway also now has a junior section with an Accucraft Mortimor providing the motive power (this is a probably short lived distraction for my son who I'm sure will migrate back to his xbox!) Stock wise the pickering brake finally got finished & Beddgelert & the NWNGR rake now run on the 16mm association layout at Echills Wood Railway where they are, as expected, much happier than on the tight curves of the CGLR.
In other news tinkering with the bushes & fixings of the Stuart coaches has reduced their tendency to sway considerably, thanks for the suggestions & the tortoise is still in residence Rod, being made of plastic he doesn't wander far :-)
Attachments
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg (438.11 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg (376.95 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg (367.56 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg (320.29 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:39 pm

Mightily impressive line now Paul. Your hard work as really paid off.. :thumbright:

Glad tortoise is still around.... :lol: :lol: ..We can't keep calling him/her tortoise Paul, we need to find a name.... :roll:

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:57 pm

All very nice Paul, well done.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:33 am

Clever use of artificial grass on the raised section. Looks really good (and low maintenance).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Paul_G
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_G » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks for the comments but I must add that the picture of Beddgelert is on the Echills Wood Railway's 16mm layout. As I mentioned Beddgelert & the NWNGR rake is all a bit big for my garden railway but it runs & looks a treat on the bigger EWR layout. The artificial grass does look really good though along with the real slate walling, an idea I'll be borrowing when I landscape Candleford Green Station :-)