The Far End Tramway - Construction starts!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: The Far End Tramway - Construction starts!

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:40 pm

My builds for my 45mm line so far have used either Accucraft Choppers, or Binney's Caernarfon couplers which have a nice wide head on them. Both of these seem to prevent them doing the buffer interlock tango.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:07 am

I was on another spurt of construction today, feeling it was about time to wrap up the woodworking side of the project. The last section of raised bench work was framed and about half the boards put on. Before I put the rest into position, I need to let the concrete cure for about 48 hours before replacing the soil around the foundation and creating a brick edging so boards and ground do not come into contact with one another. I have laid some spare composite roof shingles under the ends of the joists to make sure that they do not make soil contact. There will need to be a short culvert type structure to separate the station area from the gravelly trench that will carry the ground level tracks.

Small radius points are on order, and I am expecting them to arrive Monday or Tuesday. A big track laying effort middle of next week seems likely, but not inevitable. I am supposed to have a quiet Holy Week this year, but someone could still go off sick. I need to run amok with the camera again so that you have some idea what I am blethering on about, and to record the evolution of the line.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:34 am

So much for my hopes of a quiet week, as we have had a major visit from the 'foul-up fairy' at work. The district is purchasing some property, which is under contract, and the present owners decided to pick this week to tell the trustees they would not be vacating the premises on time. So having listened to various folks vent, and deciding that we need to kick it across to the professionals, I disappeared into the back garden for a play.

Anyway, last Thursday I had mounted the uphill end of the stringers to hold the remaining section of the station area on two steel brackets of the type used to secure wall studs. In turn these are concreted into a couple of old concrete blocks I was able to recycle from the garden 'this'll come in useful' pile. Friday I managed to attach a few decking boards before making a quick trip out of town for an ordination on Saturday. It persisted it down all day Sunday, and everything was too wet still yesterday to do much. I finally got out there this morning and attached the remainder of the deck boards. I used bricks to edge the top end of the station 'base board' so hopefully there will be enough air circulating to keep rot at bay. I also came across a land drain I only half knew was there, so I am going to have to modify the entry into the station slightly to avoid that. Otherwise it was one of my better sessions outside.

Tomorrow it will get a coat or two of paint, then maybe some track laying on Thursday. A day behind the plan for this week, but not bad under the circumstances.

Cheers,
Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:56 pm

And of course, I have a clear day and it is raining... not forecasted, naturally.

Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:00 am

I finally got the terminus of the Far End Tramway put together on Wednesday. I had a little potter about with the little black diesel, a wagon, and a coach, and took a few photographs.
Testing the loop line
Testing the loop line
April train1.JPG (39.07 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
The Bay Platform
The Bay Platform
April train4.JPG (48.04 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
Trundling up the main Platform road
Trundling up the main Platform road
April train6.JPG (48.84 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
The station throat
The station throat
April train7.JPG (50.18 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
There is going to be a certain amount of trimming down in the back corner of the layout where the loop road comes back into the mainline, but I am going to wait until I have some of the mainline laid before faffing about with that.

Cheers,
Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Yes, it was nice to have something pottering about out there, but the satisfaction was slightly dented by the fact the last two weeks have been absolutely bananas with no chance of getting anything done. I haven't even been on here since the 27th! More soon, I hope!

Cheers,
Peter in VA

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:23 pm

I am hoping to get back to working on the railway in a week or so. This summer has been absolutely crazy with moving into the church, teaching, dealing with miscellaneous problems related to the property purchase, not to mention various family/health distractions.

The station area, as completed at the end of April has survived the summer OK, and I did keep up with maintenance as far as blitzing the weeds was concerned. The area around the path that I reclaimed from ivy has gradually become grass, and the weeds in the former patio are beginning to conclude that they are fighting a loosing battle considering that they have been mown flat every 7 to 10 days all summer.

The disappointing part about this summer has been that I have not even been able to get down to the basement to build rolling stock. The first class vehicle I was building at the beginning of May is still awaiting the completion of its roof!

That's it for now.
Peter in VA

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:27 am

Life does rather get in the way sometimes but at least if you are keeping the weeds down and cutting the grass you are not going backswards.

Don

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:23 am

I am still waiting to get back to the railway. It is getting frustrating. I think I may have to just go and do something out of sheer cussedness just to get the ball rolling again! Work and life in general keep interfering!

Peter in VA

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:23 pm

It must be frustrating - it was all coming along so well! I hope you can get back to it soon...

All the best,

Andrew