FINAL NEW FWLR LINE

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 am

If I interpret Rod's initial question correctly I think he means having a loco at one end of the train (irrespective of which way the loco is facing) and pulling the train from A to B then pushing it back from B to A without running round.
If this is not good practise can it be done with a loco centred between two carriages?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 am If I interpret Rod's initial question correctly I think he means having a loco at one end of the train (irrespective of which way the loco is facing) and pulling the train from A to B then pushing it back from B to A without running round.
If this is not good practise can it be done with a loco centred between two carriages?
Propelling is (on bigger railways at least) generally a no-no. Top and railing would be fine, as would something like an auto coach, where you have a driver up front.

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:03 pm

OK, Rod,

I guess you're proposing to reverse out of your dead-end station, past the junction to the "Limit of Shunt" and then forward round the turnout.
It sounds like you need to adopt DHR practice and run back & forth up their zig-zags.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:29 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am Can't you put a run round loop in?
Hi Tom, if you look at the photo I have put up, you will see a long blue coming out from the track at the bottom of the photo to run around. There is also a small line going to the lawn, which is planned for the station. All I want to know is, does it matter if I was to reverse out of this and then carry on with running round the line. :thumbright:
In a word - NO

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Killarney is probably the best known example in GB&I. There was also a second Irish example - Wicklow Town, but it has been gone for a long time. They were not that common in the UK thanks to the Board of Trade's aversion to reversing moves. Quite a bit more common overseas however.

Peter in Va
Last edited by IrishPeter on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Rod,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgBMBPumVI

Shows the DHR zig-zag system.
At around 6 mins 30, I think you'll see the answer.

Sorry about the ads.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Tom, if you look at the photo I have put up, you will see a long blue coming out from the track at the bottom of the photo to run around. There is also a small line going to the lawn, which is planned for the station. All I want to know is, does it matter if I was to reverse out of this and then carry on with running round the line. :thumbright:
Hi Rod,
As (Irish) Peter says, there are precedents. Here's the track plan for Kurseong station on the DHR. On the way up (well Down in the railway sense) from NJP to Darjeeling, the train pulls into the station head first, then reverses out and the carries on going forward. In the opposite direction, the train reverses into the station, and then pulls out going forwards.
kurseong_station_plan.gif
kurseong_station_plan.gif (18.29 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:59 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the video and providing me with the answer... :thumbright: What a brilliant video it is. The two guys who ride on the front of the loco seem to have a great job, but a bit dangerous I think. The driver does like to use his whistle doesn't he.. :lol: Had to smile when the young lad was skateboarding.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The drivers on that line are very skilled also don't you think, to get the train to hold while setting off after reversing back on to the other line was very well done. I mean, they reverse up an incline and then start again going forward up another part of the incline... :thumbright:

The conclusion for me is YES, you can reverse back onto another line, if they can do it in India, I think I would be able to do it on my line......

Thanks again Rob.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 am
Hi Rod,
As (Irish) Peter says, there are precedents. Here's the track plan for Kurseong station on the DHR. On the way up (well Down in the railway sense) from NJP to Darjeeling, the train pulls into the station head first, then reverses out and the carries on going forward. In the opposite direction, the train reverses into the station, and then pulls out going forwards.

kurseong_station_plan.gif

Rik

Thanks Rik,

Thats even more evidence that it can be done by reversing to and out of a station.
I would need to have two guys on the back of the train waving flags though for "Health and Safety" though hey.... :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:08 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 am If I interpret Rod's initial question correctly I think he means having a loco at one end of the train (irrespective of which way the loco is facing) and pulling the train from A to B then pushing it back from B to A without running round.

You have got it Peter....

And the loco in-between two carriages is a thought.... :roll:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Duh! The Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway used to operate that way. The loco was always on the South Sea Lane end of the train, and there were usually two carriages on busier days - usually one of the Ashovers and 'the Tub' for those who preferred to travel al fresco. This was their usual mode of operation from about 1963 through to the early 1980s when, following an accident, the BOT decided they would have to run around and install air brakes. In the salad days of the LCLR they ran a very intensive service, so not running around meant they could squeeze in up to four round trips an hour over their mile or so of track.

Cheers,
Peter in Virginia

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am

Interesting Peter... :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 am

Well it's been sometime since I updated our FWLR, so here are a few photos of my progress which isn't much I am sorry to say because of health issues for which I really can't and not going into on this thread. Most members know what I am talking about.

Anyway, after a long talk with Anne, we decided to not go ahead with the siding to or if you like, the reversing out from the proposed new station placement. We thought it would be too much for the grandkids when they come round and have a play. I have my thoughts on youngsters coming into our hobby and I think letting them play and having fun while they are operating locos [ I hasten to add they only run battery locos ] has they aren't old enough in my view, is one of the best ways to get them to come in.

So the plan is now to have the same run from the top track to run around the small tree and loop back to the lower track. It's pretty much like the older line we first had when we moved in.

Here are a few photos for you.

DSCN3976.JPG
DSCN3976.JPG (477.09 KiB) Viewed 7275 times

You can see I have got a board for the curve, it's simply because Anne didn't want to have to climb over the track to see to the plants that she has planned to put in the small wall at the side. So it will be removed when there is no running of the trains. It will also help in keeping the grass from dying and will be more manageable. You have to remember we live in a rented property...I know it's not the conventional way of laying track, but needs must...

DSCN3977.JPG
DSCN3977.JPG (459.41 KiB) Viewed 7275 times

Hopefully I can get the track at the side on the lawn will move more into the board, it is dangerously close to the edge... :roll: :roll:

Here you can have an idea on where the track has got a little longer.

DSCN3979.JPG
DSCN3979.JPG (488.31 KiB) Viewed 7275 times

Here you can see where the tack will end up. The ruler is roughly pointing in the direction of the track.

DSCN3980.JPG
DSCN3980.JPG (494.35 KiB) Viewed 7275 times

Lots of Here's on here.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am very much open to any ideas on getting the track to look and behave right ( Running of stock ) the blank ares will be utilised for the garage and some other buildings. I can't have anything to heavy and permeant on the board has I have to be able to lift it, although my consultant as categorically said I have not to do any lifting. Which I feel is a bit strong, I need to lift my locos on to the line... :lol: :lol:

I know what he really meant, no heavy lifting and Anne would be there sometimes to help. The board is also cut into two pieces, so it won't be that bad.
When the track is all laid, it may take even longer now has the Son-in-law is not going to be able to carry on helping me. To be honest he found it all a bit too much and frustrating because he thought it would just be a case of putting some posts in and laying the track...How wrong can you be. The hardest part for me was hammering the posts in, which he did, there are going to be a few more posts, but I will be taking my time, there is no doubt about that. Getting the boards to fit and the track partially laid so I can do some adjustments I found to very therapeutic .. :lol:

Lots more to do and get on with, I may even make some more improvements yet without Anne knowing, but it's hard to fool her.... ;) ;)

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm

It is great to see your new line taking shape and how you have worked around the tree. Like your windmill too. :D

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Glad it's all coming together, I look forward to seeing pictures of trains running in due course - take it easy though, don't over do it!

All the best,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 25, 2019 6:29 am

Just Julie wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm It is great to see your new line taking shape and how you have worked around the tree. Like your windmill too. :D
Thanks Julie. The Windmill was a B&M but last year... I thought it would be better all round (forgive the pun) to be able to take it away for Anne and also to put the garage on there too.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 am

Great to see progress being made, Rod. Soon be up and running again. But slowly does it.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Shame the tree extended construction time but it's looking grand so far.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:25 am

An update is needed on our line. After some more unforced illness again, I am now back into the swing of things. I have finished the garage, so I went to place it on the new extension, for which it was originally for. It looked good until Anne pointed out the slight overhang with the car compound.

DSCN4052.JPG
DSCN4052.JPG (488.7 KiB) Viewed 7719 times
DSCN4053.JPG
DSCN4053.JPG (483.31 KiB) Viewed 7719 times

Has you can see it's to flipping big.... :( :(
So now it's going to be a small Hamlet or village, is a Hamlet smaller than a village...... :dontknow:
The garage is now going to be on the curve by the front patio...
The weather is supposed to be fine for the next week, so it maybe finished by then.
I do have a short video of Anne's tram pulling the coach that wouldn't run on the old line, so it seems the extension is now able to have most locos and rolling stock running on it, hopefully he says.... :lol: :lol:

The tram is a little bit noisy, but it's only run twice this year and I am hoping some dry grease on the drive will help to make it run a bit quieter...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:33 am

Looking good Rod, shame about the garage but you will sort out a different location I'm sure.
Your tram is noisy, but probably about average for its type..... it is a hollow 'sound-box' and will amplify the noise of the gearing unless you can deaden it somehow with insulation. It might not be as noisy if operated in the reverse direction?...... or it could be worse?????
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?