FINAL NEW FWLR LINE

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 am

philipy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:01 am Willows are extremely robust, so I think you might need to keep an eye on the stump for suckers growing out of it. If you let them grow unchecked you'll simply end up with a Willow bush rather than Willow tree!
Thanks Phillip for your info. A Willow bush Phillip, can't say I have ever seen one. Would be easier to look after would it. Only reason I am asking is, the back does look rather open now and has the back fences don't belong to the landlord, I can't see them getting replaced anytime soon.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 am

I was trying to illustrate what I meant when I said "bush", the technical term is "Pollard".
This shows what can happen:
pollarded-willow-near-willersey-cotswolds-gloucestershire-england-109913093.jpg
pollarded-willow-near-willersey-cotswolds-gloucestershire-england-109913093.jpg (256.48 KiB) Viewed 7321 times
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:01 am

A beautiful looking tree there but potentially back to square one in Rod's case. That probably represents just a couple of years growth too!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 am

Depending on your point of view pollarding can be quite appealing where there is plenty of space but in a small garden a bit of a nightmare. I had a very similar situation to Rod about 15 years ago in my garden where the willow was reduced to around 10' tall, the resulting growth the following year was so dense it severly reduced the amount of light getting into the garden. I ended up having to pollard it every year, not my idea of fun so after a few years of doing that I eventually had the tree professionally removed which is what I should have done in the first place.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 pm

I would have had it completely down also Phil, but the landlord wanted to leave some of it.

May get that guy to come and see if he wants some more big trunks for his sculpting... :lol: :lol: :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Well it's been one of those months, not been in the best of health, but got through it. So today Anne and I went into the garden and did a bit of clearing of a bush so we (Anne) could see the little stone wall that was hidden by it. After clearing the debris away it has left a nice bit of space for the extension Anne said we could have.... :thumbright:

After some discussion, Anne wanted the line to go to the little patio and stop, so the station could be sited there. I said " I we did it that way, it would mean the loco or anything pulling stock would end up running backwards, has well as forward on one line!" So I have come up with an alternative, though it takes up more room. Something Anne really doesn't want. I think it would be the only way to get any train to run has if it's pulling and not pushing.

I know it did happen, but I don't seem to recall any videos or film of them pushing. Can you tell me if it did, also was it a common practice.

The station could be sited at the top of the line, if it meant keeping the line as low as possible, so Anne had easy access to her Fairy Garden on the right...

PROPOSED NEW LINE 2.jpeg
PROPOSED NEW LINE 2.jpeg (311.47 KiB) Viewed 7047 times

It's only a proposal at the moment. I also don't want to be taking too much off the garden. The thinking being, because it's not our own garden, we could't go putting loads of stuff into it, like soil or anything that would drastically change the appearance of the garden. If we had to leave again, we would have to put it back has it was. Can you imagine the work it would take....Plus all the hard work of getting to look something like we would really want it to......

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Do you mean something like this, Rod?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotrain

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:24 am

It wasn't Rik, but you have given me an inspired idea for my next loco build.

I meant some locos went backwards, but they were nearly always at the front of the train pulling. I don't think they ever pushed from the back did they?

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Rod,
I think you mean push-pull? Auto-train in GWR speak.
You'll need a driving trailer.
Ffestiniog ran them for a while, using a diesel loco.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Oops! Belatedly looked at Rik's link.
Anyway, found an FR pic:-
[attachment=0]FR95-103.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
FR95-103.jpg
FR95-103.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 6980 times
Rob G

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:01 am

Thanks Rob for the photo. It's a great looking train.

But this is what I am meaning mate.

00051306.jpg
00051306.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 6944 times

It does happen on lines. That is something I really don't want happening on FWLR, so that's why I am proposing the line to run like the photo I have put up. Do members think it's ok, to run the train backwards for a short distance out of the proposed station and then run it forward has should be.

Thinking :scratch: about it now though. If I was to run it clockwise into the station, that's all I could run, clockwise. May have to look into it more, unless you all have some better ideas to do it.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am

Can't you put a run round loop in?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Kurseong (DHR), Killarney, Guisborough all have/had stations that were drive in and reverse/propel out (or vice versa.) Killarney used to be the most exciting of these as IE would cross the up and down Tralee there, so you had a class 141 and a rake of Cravens reversing into the bay platform, then an 071 or (new)201 arrive with a rake of mk.3s from Dublin. The signaller would exchange the single line tokens which were picked up on the fly as the trains departed for Mallow or revered into the headshunt to proceed to Tralee.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:11 pm

For a couple of years after completion, WHR trains used to be dragged out of Porthmadog Harbour station by the pilot locomotive. The train engine would then couple up and take the train in the opposite direction toward Caernarfon.

There’s always a prototype :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:29 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am Can't you put a run round loop in?
Hi Tom, if you look at the photo I have put up, you will see a long blue coming out from the track at the bottom of the photo to run around. There is also a small line going to the lawn, which is planned for the station. All I want to know is, does it matter if I was to reverse out of this and then carry on with running round the line. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 am

If I interpret Rod's initial question correctly I think he means having a loco at one end of the train (irrespective of which way the loco is facing) and pulling the train from A to B then pushing it back from B to A without running round.
If this is not good practise can it be done with a loco centred between two carriages?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 am If I interpret Rod's initial question correctly I think he means having a loco at one end of the train (irrespective of which way the loco is facing) and pulling the train from A to B then pushing it back from B to A without running round.
If this is not good practise can it be done with a loco centred between two carriages?
Propelling is (on bigger railways at least) generally a no-no. Top and railing would be fine, as would something like an auto coach, where you have a driver up front.

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:03 pm

OK, Rod,

I guess you're proposing to reverse out of your dead-end station, past the junction to the "Limit of Shunt" and then forward round the turnout.
It sounds like you need to adopt DHR practice and run back & forth up their zig-zags.
Rob G

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:29 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 am Can't you put a run round loop in?
Hi Tom, if you look at the photo I have put up, you will see a long blue coming out from the track at the bottom of the photo to run around. There is also a small line going to the lawn, which is planned for the station. All I want to know is, does it matter if I was to reverse out of this and then carry on with running round the line. :thumbright:
In a word - NO

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Killarney is probably the best known example in GB&I. There was also a second Irish example - Wicklow Town, but it has been gone for a long time. They were not that common in the UK thanks to the Board of Trade's aversion to reversing moves. Quite a bit more common overseas however.

Peter in Va
Last edited by IrishPeter on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.