FINAL NEW FWLR LINE

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 am

You're correct Peter, it is more noisier in reverse. Will have a look at trying some thing to deaden it a bit. I do have some of that poly stuff, [they look like quavers], :lol: might do the trick, but if not we will probably have to put up with it...... :roll:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE (UPDATE)

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Well another update on our line.....

It's finished, well almost, I just need to sort a problem out with the side of the bridge closest to the pond. It is a bit wobbly...but it's an easy sort.

DSCN4081.JPG
DSCN4081.JPG (480.45 KiB) Viewed 7698 times

Also just needs the three corners making a little bit rounder and another coat of Shellac, then the grass Anne wants putting it on.

I am knackered now so going for a lay down first and then finish those little bits before the blooming rain comes again. Looks like it may still be raining for a local open day in Southport Anne and I was going too..... :( :(

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 pm

That's a good sizeable run your locos will have now Rod.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Nice overview of your garden Rod, shows the space and how you have used it to advantage.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE (1st, 2nd, 3rd RUN UPDATE)

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 am

It's been sometime since I ran my Billy ("Patricia Anne") You may notice I have took the old name plates off. After Tom's maintenance on her and only finishing the relaying of the line on Friday, the rain stopped for Sunday. So after going to Fleetwood, it was a large fishing town in the North West of Lancashire, (before the EU quoters) to what is called Tram Sunday. We were there about 9.30 in the morning and it was extremely busy then.

So after we got home we had a go at running "Patricia Anne". She only ran for about 8 minutes on her first run. She or was it I, :roll: was a bit tentative, but off she ran. I am still getting used to her controller, it's a bit sensitive.

So after refilling her with gas, off she went again. I was starting to get used to the T/X, you can even the hear chuffer now, after Tom replaced it back to how it should be.

Anne and I are really pleased that after 15 minutes she was still running. I can run her with a lot less gas and she isn't blowing her top with escaping steam. Anne did notice that and remarked " She is running a lot better now Rod, it's really great how long for "
After more running this week, I will be used to the sensitive T/X and she will run many hours with lots of enjoyment from the Grandkids with Anne and I.
The Grandkids won't be running her though... :roll: :roll:

This is her still running. Forget about the title, it's just for Youtube.

She eventually stopped running after 28 minutes. My right finger was getting tired.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you could have seen the smile on my face afterwards, it was beaming with delight after so long not being able to run her for one thing or another. I will be running her now with more rolling stock behind her. Maybe a photo or two will appear in the Photo Competition too.... Maybe...... :D :D

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 am

Great to see you've got things up and running, Rod. 28 mins sounds like a good long run for a live steamer to me.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:52 am

Congratulations Rod, it is certainly good to see her running smoothly, it sounded just like that for me so it must have been the fall which dislodged the chuffer.
28 minutes run is a long time which I couldn't manage so Tom is a miracle worker.

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 am

Lovely!
Jake

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE (1st, 2nd, 3rd RUN UPDATE)

Post by TonyW » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:34 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 amMy right finger was getting tired....
An aching of the finger caused by a historical limitation that no longer applies.

30 years ago, the only radio control transmitters available for on 27MHz. The left stick went up and down, and the right stick went left and right. And that is all they did. It was decided by person or persons not necessarily unknown that the left stick should control the regulator and the right stick should control the reversing function, with left being forward and right being backwards.

Nowadays we have lovely 2.4GHz systems and the sticks will move wherever you want them to. However, for the reason explained above most locos on stick transmitters still use Left=Forward, Right=Reverse and, to make things worse, they have a spring that returns the stick to centre. This means the stick has to be held in place, and it makes your finger ache.

If you're happy with that, well that's fine. If not, move the reverser servo plug to the channel that uses right up and down, remove the spring in the transmitter and fit a ratchet strip (copy the one used on the left stick). Not only does this give a more meaningful use of the stick (the reversing lever on a full-size loco goes front to back, not side to side) it allows finger-free operation.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Its is a nice little line making the most use of the space and the limitation of not owning the place. You would have been alright with the reversing out as far as railways go. The reversing out would have been done at a slow speed for a short distance before proceeding mormally. The pushing of a train from the rear for any distance has to have a driver up front so he can see the line is clear to go at any speed. However you are right about the Grandkids, over doing the throttle going to the end and the loco takes a dive. Best to be safe.
Controls can be funny my Taliesin has one of those gun types, it is designed for a right hander really being left handed I end up moving it from hand to hand. Turned the throttle the wrong way and being a bit of a greyhoud it lept off the track where it went behind the back of a shed on a friends layout. I ought to change it.

Don

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 pm

Glad you are happy with it Rod, don't forget to keep that gas down :thumbup:

I did offer to remove the spring in the Tx, however, it's very easy to do so have a go!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 am Great to see you've got things up and running, Rod. 28 mins sounds like a good long run for a live steamer to me.

Rik
Thanks Rik. It's been a bit of full on 18 months that's for sure...She could have gone on for longer, but like I said my finger was getting tired. I still need to drive her with some caution, which is a good thing I think. Don't think I would get has much enjoyment with just switching her on and letting her run. Even battery run locos need to be driven don't they..... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:52 am Congratulations Rod, it is certainly good to see her running smoothly, it sounded just like that for me so it must have been the fall which dislodged the chuffer.
28 minutes run is a long time which I couldn't manage so Tom is a miracle worker.
It's been a long time Peter has you know.... ;) Even Anne said she sounds a lot better.... :lol:

I think 28 minutes could have turned out a little bit longer if I turned the gas down even more, but I was just happy to see her running again, has she was when I got her from you.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tropic Blunder wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 am Lovely!
Thanks... :thumbright:

TonyW wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:34 pm
FWLR wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 amMy right finger was getting tired....
An aching of the finger caused by a historical limitation that no longer applies.

If you're happy with that, well that's fine. If not, move the reverser servo plug to the channel that uses right up and down, remove the spring in the transmitter and fit a ratchet strip (copy the one used on the left stick). Not only does this give a more meaningful use of the stick (the reversing lever on a full-size loco goes front to back, not side to side) it allows finger-free operation.
Thanks Tony.... :thumbright:
DonW wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 pm Its is a nice little line making the most use of the space and the limitation of not owning the place. You would have been alright with the reversing out as far as railways go. The reversing out would have been done at a slow speed for a short distance before proceeding mormally. The pushing of a train from the rear for any distance has to have a driver up front so he can see the line is clear to go at any speed. However you are right about the Grandkids, over doing the throttle going to the end and the loco takes a dive. Best to be safe.
Controls can be funny my Taliesin has one of those gun types, it is designed for a right hander really being left handed I end up moving it from hand to hand. Turned the throttle the wrong way and being a bit of a greyhoud it lept off the track where it went behind the back of a shed on a friends layout. I ought to change it.

Don
Thanks Don and welcome. It's nice to know that members like what I do. Though I may make mistakes, I always find that the members on here are a very friendly and helpful lot, who helped and encouraged me in lots of ways.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:44 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 pm Glad you are happy with it Rod, don't forget to keep that gas down :thumbup:

I did offer to remove the spring in the Tx, however, it's very easy to do so have a go!
I am extremely happy, has is Anne, Tom. You did a great job and I can't thank you enough. :salute: :salute:

Has for the spring, I may give it a go, but things like inners on electrical items to me are frighting... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I guess, nothing ventured, nothing gained..... :roll: :roll:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE (UpDATE)

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am

It's been a long time since I have posted anything on my thread :( ..I am very sorry for not doing so, but there reason being as many of you know, things have not been to great. I am not going to bore you with details, but to cut a long story short, I needed another operation on my heart. I am still recovering from it. I am at home now, I have been for 3 weeks I think, this memory hasn't improved with the op... :roll: :roll: The reason was I had the operation is, I was getting pains in my chest with the constant going up and down the stairs and I was finding it hard to breath also. Anne was also struggling with her breathing too, she has Bronchiectasis and it's frighting watching her coughing and struggling to breath. So a decision was made by Anne and myself for us to move. I was in hospital for some weeks before my operation, so it was left to Anne to find us a new place to live, which she did. We rent has most of the members know, so it was a case of finding a place and giving our notice.

The thing was our line had to be lifted again.. :( :( . Anne and one of my Son-in-laws did it while I was in hospital and now it's back to how it was when we moved in, well almost. Anne had to re-seed the areas where the boards had been.

This is how it looks now. Anne took this photo for me.
1CAD37C1-E46F-43FB-99A6-9C6C5C335681.jpeg
1CAD37C1-E46F-43FB-99A6-9C6C5C335681.jpeg (322.86 KiB) Viewed 7410 times

Since Anne took that photo the bare patches have already started to recover. And the pond is also gone. You will see it in the next photos, along with the bridge looking like it's been blown over.. :lol:

We have now moved again, with Anne doing all the organising of the move. She did a absolutely brilliant job of looking after me while I am recovering and moving us. She did all the packing up, even taking great care of my scratch build Crane, some of you will know it.

This is our new garden, it does have some scope, but there are a few places where the water with all the rain we have had over the country, is a bit like a mini lake, so that will need to be looked at.

Couple of photos Anne again took of the new garden.
F2CA08FC-CBCF-40F0-8918-43E34C01F1A6.jpeg
F2CA08FC-CBCF-40F0-8918-43E34C01F1A6.jpeg (198.33 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
9C4FF550-CFA1-4C81-8FA0-400C69D37BC2.jpeg
9C4FF550-CFA1-4C81-8FA0-400C69D37BC2.jpeg (173.4 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
D1F51620-F0B0-46FD-AC97-E1EB838083E2.jpeg
D1F51620-F0B0-46FD-AC97-E1EB838083E2.jpeg (230.01 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
Nothing will be done in or on the garden until next year, or until the son-in-law is able to get over and do some work in it. He will also be doing most of the relaying of the line, I have had my orders from Anne, no lifting to be done at all....... :director2:

While I am here, I want to say a very very big THANK YOU to Peter Butler. His emails to and from Anne has been so helpful, not only to me, but mainly to Anne. At times she was needing someone apart from the family to talk to and Peter was there when she sent an email to him.

Thanks again Peter.

And also to the members who were sending well wishes to Anne about me...Thank You.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:45 am

Hello Rod,

Glad to hear you're on the mend - Anne's a miracle worker!

Sorry that the old railway's had to go, but I guess the modular construction means that you (well, your son-in-law!) should be able to re-erect it without too much trouble? The new garden looks like it has a lot of potential - lawn and flowerbeds to form an attractive background, but plenty of hard standing to make for good operating conditions.

Good luck with everything,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Thank you Rod for the compliments, I was most concerned throughout your illness and look forward to seeing you back in the garden next year.
It looks like a garden with potential for your line, nothing too grand, just a circuit and sidings would be sufficient, and easy to maintain... always an issue. You have time to plan and design during the dark winter months and be prepared when you are able to begin again.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 pm

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been well, even more sorry the line has had to come back up. I know your pain in that respect.

Looking forward to seeing what magic you can pull out of your hat with this new garden.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:43 am

Looking forward to the new line. Seems you have a keeper there with Anne. :thumbright:

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:11 pm

Very glad to hear you are back on the mend. It is only after you have lived in a true bungalow for a while that you realise how many times you are going up and down stairs usually when you visit family with a house and you are n longer used to it!
Anne sounds a real tresure. Best wished to you both and I look forward to seeing photos of the new line in due course no rushing to get it done though.

Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:01 am

Well it's been sometime since I posted on my thread. Not much has been done really, except for Anne getting started on her Fairy Garden and the son-in-law getting some flagging done before he had to go back to his full time job has a cycling tour guide abroad.

Some photos of the flagging.

Son-in-Law starting the laying of the flags.
B3359AFB-2FD3-40B8-B770-15ABD1101017.jpeg
B3359AFB-2FD3-40B8-B770-15ABD1101017.jpeg (486.16 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
63BBC57D-3336-4F4A-A3AD-63710DEC2F42.jpeg
63BBC57D-3336-4F4A-A3AD-63710DEC2F42.jpeg (483.55 KiB) Viewed 6785 times

This is after those storms we had...
268270CC-1C7E-4F01-ABAD-48BE951387B9.jpeg
268270CC-1C7E-4F01-ABAD-48BE951387B9.jpeg (489.01 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
BD7D5BFA-78FB-4DA3-BEE6-1B38F5F402F5.jpeg
BD7D5BFA-78FB-4DA3-BEE6-1B38F5F402F5.jpeg (493.29 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
AE357FF1-378A-4F3A-9C5A-2A9C9CC462DF.jpeg
AE357FF1-378A-4F3A-9C5A-2A9C9CC462DF.jpeg (492.83 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
1C760D7B-54AE-48FF-AE90-1C6A24C01D7F.jpeg
1C760D7B-54AE-48FF-AE90-1C6A24C01D7F.jpeg (481.41 KiB) Viewed 6785 times
The last photo shows how far the water got to after the rains stopped, it reached the back of the house.
It stopped him from doing anymore and he had to go and do his main job.

He did manage to lay some more before the COVID-19 virus happened and stopped him again... :(

4D65839D-D6FD-4EE5-BF6D-C2222C0273F7.jpeg
4D65839D-D6FD-4EE5-BF6D-C2222C0273F7.jpeg (191.93 KiB) Viewed 6785 times