The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm

RobRossington wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 am What camera or phone do you use to take pictures?

The new diesel looks good, any videos of it running please?
I’m mostly using my iPhone 7+, which has dual cameras, one wide angle and one telephoto. I find the telephoto is perfect for photos of models and the small size of the phone allows me to get into tight spaces. If I use my cameras then it’s either my Fuji XPro1 and 2 bodies, or my Nikon D810. I think there’s only a couple of Fuji photos in this thread up to now, and no Nikon shots yet.

I haven’t taken any video of it yet, but I am planning to as soon as I have a second per of hands to help with it. Being track powered I have to control it from the Charlwood end which makes videoing difficult.
Not a single photo is showing when I view your post, just an icon of a broken image, and the word image. :scratch:

Edited to add that it's the same with your post of 6th September, but I'm sure it was okay before :scratch: :scratch:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Not a single photo is showing when I view your post, just an icon of a broken image, and the word image. :scratch:

Edited to add that it's the same with your post of 6th September, but I'm sure it was okay before :scratch: :scratch:
I must admit that I've not seen most of the pics in this thread, the two exceptions being the two diesel livery pictures. The others are there but incredibly slow to download one line of each at a time!
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm

The images are not hosted on the forum server, they are with imgur.com

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm
RobRossington wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 am What camera or phone do you use to take pictures?

The new diesel looks good, any videos of it running please?
I’m mostly using my iPhone 7+, which has dual cameras, one wide angle and one telephoto. I find the telephoto is perfect for photos of models and the small size of the phone allows me to get into tight spaces. If I use my cameras then it’s either my Fuji XPro1 and 2 bodies, or my Nikon D810. I think there’s only a couple of Fuji photos in this thread up to now, and no Nikon shots yet.

I haven’t taken any video of it yet, but I am planning to as soon as I have a second per of hands to help with it. Being track powered I have to control it from the Charlwood end which makes videoing difficult.

Hmm. That’s strange. As Tom says, the images are hosted by Imgur, who I’ve only been using since the great photobucket scandal. I’ve not had any issues before!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:54 pm

Aw, it's a shame folk can't see the pictures, they're excellent!

I've got an end-to-end single line with passing loop set-up too, and I also really like running with two trains, not that I do it very often. There's something very "railway-like" about the business of passing trains...

Your new diesel's looking great, very much at home in your eclectic but effective mix of stock - I love the little clerestory carriage, I once had one of those in 009...

The new station's coming on nicely too, you must be very pleased with how that's turning out...

All the best,

Andrew.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:19 pm

I think an email to Imgur support might be in order! I’m wondering if the images that are in albums that I have hidden from normal Imgur viewers are the culprits though. I’ve changed the settings on those albums, if somebody could let me know if it has improved the situation I’d be grateful :thumbright:

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm

RobRossington wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:19 pm I’ve changed the settings on those albums, if somebody could let me know if it has improved the situation I’d be grateful :thumbright:
Rob, I can't speak for anyone else, but whatever you've done seems to have fixed things for me at least, thanks, and the pics were worth waiting for, so thanks again.
Philip

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:01 am

philipy wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm
RobRossington wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:19 pm I’ve changed the settings on those albums, if somebody could let me know if it has improved the situation I’d be grateful :thumbright:
Rob, I can't speak for anyone else, but whatever you've done seems to have fixed things for me at least, thanks, and the pics were worth waiting for, so thanks again.
Good to know, thank you! :)

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 am

A short running session with No.1 gave me the opportunity to deploy the new diesel in its primary role as Thunderbird...

The Loco (which I really need to think of a name for!) has been admitted into the section and is on its way to rescue the train....

Coupled up, ready to go;Image

Now unfortunately the rails were a little greasy, so the diesel couldn’t quite manage to drag the whole train back to the shed. It did manage to drag the Loco on its own, and then return for the train. I took some video of the rescue of the train, which I’ll post later.

As always, things didn’t go entirely to plan though....

Oops!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 am

The more I see of the diesel, the more I like it. (As a die hard steam man it's a good job none of my OO railway friends read this! :D ). I'm seriously thinking of getting one and seeing if it will convert to 32mm gauge. Has anyone managed to change the gauge before I spend my cash?
Ian

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 am

IanC wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 am The more I see of the diesel, the more I like it. (As a die hard steam man it's a good job none of my OO railway friends read this! :D ). I'm seriously thinking of getting one and seeing if it will convert to 32mm gauge. Has anyone managed to change the gauge before I spend my cash?
Yeeesss give in to the dark side.... :mrgreen:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:51 am

RobRossington wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 am
IanC wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 am The more I see of the diesel, the more I like it. (As a die hard steam man it's a good job none of my OO railway friends read this! :D ). I'm seriously thinking of getting one and seeing if it will convert to 32mm gauge. Has anyone managed to change the gauge before I spend my cash?
Yeeesss give in to the dark side.... :mrgreen:
:lol: If I submit to a diesel it will only be one. To use as a rescue engine and for running at short notice.
Ian

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Good evening!

Unfortunately, not a lot happens at the CWLR over winter (usually because our garden becomes a mud bath!) and I switch to smaller scales. However, this winter sees us refurbishing our loft prior to the start of a new 009 project (I had hoped to start a few weeks ago but hey ho)

To scratch the modelling itch, I’ve been busy in the paint shop, giving some attention to No.9, my LGB 2095.

After much deliberation I settled on Reverse Two Tone Green, As applied to the class 29s in Scotland. For me, it’s by far the best application of BR green there was.

The first job, however, was to give the cabs some attention. These have been painted and the original central control wheel has been repurposed and rearranged as a class 50 style powerhandle. A swift16 vacuum brake controller is on its way and will be fitted on the left hand side of the driving position. Image

Once the rest of the loco was stripped and primed (what a nightmare it was to get the windows out!), the next job was yellow warning panels and Sherwood green upper bodywork.

Followed by the Brunswick green lower bodywork. I’ve noticed this is a little thin in a couple of places, so will apply another coat in a few days. Luckily I won’t need half a mile of masking tape this time!

Other than that, all that’s left is the white body stripe, and possibly a light weather.
Last edited by RobRossington on Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm

That's a great job, I don't even recognise it as a LGB loco!

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:30 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:14 pm That's a great job, I don't even recognise it as a LGB loco!
Thanks! I'm pleased with how it's turning out!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:04 pm

I do like the way this is turning out, completely different vehicle now the colours have changed. Very well thought out and applied.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I think a good paint job like that takes away the plastic finish that sometimes have a negative effect on the look of LGB locos. I have to say BR green suites the model very well (more so than the prototypical red). :thumbright:

George

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Thank you for the kind comments guys :) there’s a long way to go still, but I feel like it’s getting there and I’m happy with how it’s going so far!

George, I couldn’t agree more! For the price you pay for them, the finish on some LGB models leaves a lot to be desired (you have to be really careful who you say things like that to!). I have to admit, it takes a hell of a lot of courage to take an airbrush to something that expensive! Luckily I got this loco for a pretty low price (it is pretty old!) so it’s less painful!
I also agree that it suits BR green. I reckon it’s a bit like a class 73, in that it suits having a dark colour around the windscreens and a small yellow warning panel.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:33 am

Nice paint job. I love the colours.. :thumbright:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:04 pm

The two-tone green really makes a difference. Very good choice for that locomotive, and quite honestly, it no longer looks foreign. The two-tone green is probably my favourite diesel livery - after CIE Black and Orange!

Cheers,
Peter in Virginia
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.