The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 pm

The permanent way head plans to have the space between the track bed and the intended stone and rock cutting walls lined with a concrete floor. This will be covered with loose stone chips and such like between the track bed and the cutting walls. This is to give a fighting chance against the weed problem and the ease of maintenance after the fierce sub tropical storms. The actual track ballast will be fixed with the Aussie equivalent of SBA. Senior Management is in agree with this plan. The trial section of this was poured at the southern end of the Orchid House loop. Then the tunnel at Potters Junction was commenced and there was much grumbling and curse words echoing over the worksite. It seems that the altered dimensions to reduce the concrete volume was some of the cause of the consternation's. Workers left the site in the early evening darkness after the outer wall was poured and retired to the work donger for a one only beer. It is also reported that the beer was enjoyed immensely.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am

Some really impressive civil engineering there, Dazza. I like the way you've domed the tunnel roof. I'd probably have just used flat paving slabs and just curved the tunnel entrances, but I don't possess your enviable attention to detail.

Have you received a contract for the construction of the UK's HS2 Project by any chance? You'd no doubt do a far better and sustainable job!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 25, 2020 9:13 am

That's a very impressive job on constructing the tunnel and the permanent way. :thumbright:

You are certainly committed to finishing when you are doing it by torch light Dazza. Just shown Anne what you and MAM are doing and she is also very impressed. And after showing her, she has more of an idea on what I want to do with our smaller build on the raised bed. Shows how well the forum is in helping people with their own builds.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am Some really impressive civil engineering there, Dazza. I like the way you've domed the tunnel roof. I'd probably have just used flat paving slabs and just curved the tunnel entrances, but I don't possess your enviable attention to detail.

Have you received a contract for the construction of the UK's HS2 Project by any chance? You'd no doubt do a far better and sustainable job!

Rik
Senior management took the UK's HS2 project to the board of directors. The board turned down the contract, mumbling something about bureaucratic nonsense and complexity and we all would be better off with stone viaducts, timber sleepers, mechanical interlocked frames and leisurely hauled trains with steam locomotives.
Thanks for the nice compliments, the truth is, I wanted a garden railway since age 12. Just one will do and do it so as to enjoy it with friends and meet new friends. Railways are about people. I am very pleased that the other half of senior management enjoys this sort of stuff as well.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon May 25, 2020 9:15 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:13 am That's a very impressive job on constructing the tunnel and the permanent way. :thumbright:

You are certainly committed to finishing when you are doing it by torch light Dazza. Just shown Anne what you and MAM are doing and she is also very impressed. And after showing her, she has more of an idea on what I want to do with our smaller build on the raised bed. Shows how well the forum is in helping people with their own builds.
That is super, I am pleased to hear, sharing is what forums are about.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon May 25, 2020 9:58 pm

At the Potters Orchid Railway the ply was removed from the tunnel at the Orchid House Loop. The pavers, sand the clay/sand roof curve form was removed. The seam line with the room and walls are just from the clay to stop wet cement flowing through gaps. MAM then blew the sand residue out.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon May 25, 2020 9:59 pm

At the Potter's Orchid Railway Mark one tunnel a few test runs were run to ensure all was correct, then the matt black spray can was directed inside the tunnel.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 pm

There was some excitement with the staff at the POR. Movie theme music was being hummed which was nauseating to the onlookers. I hope the rail regulator do not see this foolish and risky behavior. As usual the head foredog was contemplating the the next stages, such as the tunnel portal contract.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 pm

The contract to make a pair of fired clay tunnel portals has been issued to the Potter further down the line at Potters Junction. These will be fitted with mortar and adhesive. Then the POR's terra forming can commence, directed by the award winning creator of the Norwegian fjords, Slartibartfast.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 pm
ge_rik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am Have you received a contract for the construction of the UK's HS2 Project by any chance? You'd no doubt do a far better and sustainable job!
Senior management took the UK's HS2 project to the board of directors. The board turned down the contract, mumbling something about bureaucratic nonsense and complexity and we all would be better off with stone viaducts, timber sleepers, mechanical interlocked frames and leisurely hauled trains with steam locomotives.
Sounds very much like the Great Central Railway ....... Now there's an idea...... 🤔👍🤭

Rik
------------------------

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu May 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Slartiblatfast is having a dry dummy run for the very first rock cutting at the Potters Orchid Railway. He is mumbling something about the rocks are not as good as he had available for him in Norway. The rocks will be mortared in sitting on a concrete footing, with a stabilising brick wall behind this, then all will be back filled with fill and soil. The Portals are on order from the pottery works and these have to be delivered before committing the rocks to cement and mortar. Then the cutting on the inside of the curve will be constructed. It is envisaged that the sound of live steam will resonate cheerfully and the plume of vapour and smoke will look impressive rising up through the cuttings.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm

At the Potters Orchid Railway work has been continuing most evenings, however Slartibartfast is still complaining that the rocks he has to work with are not as good as the ones he had when he did the Fjords. He keeps muttering some thing about keeping up his standards. The contractor is removing more earth for Slarti's plan for for running water. The Railway site is a mess, but one day it is hoped some order will emerge.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm The contractor is removing more earth for Slarti's plan for for running water.
It's good to see the steady progress again. Can't beat a bit of lineside running water. :)
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:42 pm

Good work Dazza, the landscape is starting to emerge from the building site and I can see it's going to look pretty damned good!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:25 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:42 pm Good work Dazza, the landscape is starting to emerge from the building site and I can see it's going to look pretty damned good!

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, we hope to have some fun run days in the years to come.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:27 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 pm The contractor is removing more earth for Slarti's plan for for running water.
It's good to see the steady progress again. Can't beat a bit of lineside running water. :)
Thanks Philip, I have not done much this week due to rain and my chosen path of professional expression making time demands, this weekend I hope to make good progress.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:35 am

philipy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:12 am Can't beat a bit of lineside running water. :)
I'll echo that. Sometimes I just run the stream when the railway isn't operational to have the background sound of running water while doing some gardening.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:35 am [ Sometimes I just run the stream when the railway isn't operational to have the background sound of running water while doing some gardening.

Rik
Mine runs all day every day, just switching off overnight on a timeclock. Comes on at 07-30 because SWMBO likes to sit on the bench near the head of the stream first thing to listen to it. Goes off about 8pm because we are always indoors by then.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm

I have mine running all day every day, the wildlife love the stream (about 4 metres) with all manner of birds drinking and bathing, sparrows to crows, even had a wagtail.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:19 am

The Potters Orchid Railway had a track closure today as the temporary bridge over the yet unnamed ravine was lifted and the MVL under arch bridge (painted in the Firth of Forth colour) was helicoptered in for a trail fit. Senior management was pleased as it all fits with the designed total of 3.00mm clearance. The abutment work is planned to be done soon fitting in around Slarti's terra forming and water feature creativity.