Fairy Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: MY BCATRR

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm I like the water feature as there something about the sight and sounds of trickling water in the garden.
Yes, the repeated urged to go to the lavvy! My dislike of small scale trickling water is a standing joke between the wife and I.

Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: MY BCATRR, Now called Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 am

Well we can’t all be close to the Niagara Falls Peter, lol.

By the way i wasn’t meaning anything by it on loading videos on to the forum, i was just saying how long it took youtube to do it.

Happy Modelling. :thumbup: :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am

Well after some rubbish weather and me not feeling 100%, I have made a start on putting the posts in for it. I have used 65mm square guttering pipes and I have drove them into the clay soil about 18” to 2’, I can tell you that didn’t help my health one bit, but hey I am still here just.. :lol:
DSCN2971.JPG
DSCN2971.JPG (908.85 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
DSCN2972.JPG
DSCN2972.JPG (912.12 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
DSCN2974.JPG
DSCN2974.JPG (890.57 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
DSCN2975.JPG
DSCN2975.JPG (906.14 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
I need to put one more in by the 1st post by the Holly Tree, i have had to lower them from the original height because Anne thought they were to high and i must say i have had to agree with her, also so i can get to put some more posts in around the rest of the borders haha. The reason being is i had put some wooden blocks inside the posts ready for the decking board i will be using, but when i was hitting the post, with a block of wood held on the top, it flipping split the pipe, words were spoken....i was too knackered to put one in yesterday after lowering them and another reason was one of the youngest Granddaughters arrived, so she took priority.

You can tell how much water has been dropped from the clouds, the lawn is not usually has bad as that, it’s not the best anyway, but round that side of the lawn it is now water logged.

Just waiting now for the boards to arrive on Monday hopefully, even though they are pressure treated i will be putting some wood preserver on them has well. Then lay some track and have a run with my battery locos, i am hopefully buying a live Roundhouse within the next week, so i will post an update then.

Happy Running. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by FWLR on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Jim

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by Big Jim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Great start Rod.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Congratulations on cutting the first sod Rod. I hope you enjoy the build once the really hard work is done. Keep us posted on progress.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am

I bit of progress done at last a break in this rubbish weather here, been raining on and off (mostly on) for 3 weeks now. Got the board on Monday, not happy with it, my fault for buying blind online.
DSCN2977.JPG
DSCN2977.JPG (861.78 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
DSCN2978.JPG
DSCN2978.JPG (884.29 KiB) Viewed 5100 times

These are the good ones. They came wet and they should have been pressure treated, but they haven’t. So i have needed to wait until yesterday for some of them to dry out. A few photos on were i am at the moment, the photos show you how badly the lawn is coping with all this rain, it as never been this bad. Clay soil doesn’t help I’am afraid.

DSCN2979.JPG
DSCN2979.JPG (885.86 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
DSCN2980.JPG
DSCN2980.JPG (922.44 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
DSCN2981.JPG
DSCN2981.JPG (924.26 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
DSCN2982.JPG
DSCN2982.JPG (923.21 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
DSCN2983.JPG
DSCN2983.JPG (910.11 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
The weather is not bad again this morning, but unfortunately I am going for a hospital appointment this morning at 11 o’clock, so i may not be able to take advantage of this fine weather, if i can get some more done i will post some more photo’s and you never know, a little video of running something. :thumbup: :thumbup:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:11 am

The colour of the boards and supports blends in well with the garden.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 pm

A good start rod, well done.
I wouldn't worry about the knots in the boards they really don't matter. It's twists that are both a disaster waiting to happen, and difficult to do much about.
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:38 pm

A fine beginning. It won't hurt to slosh plenty of wood preservative on all of it, even the bits that are pressure treated.
It's worth checking carefully what you buy as some fence/shed paint is just that with no fungicide or anti rot treatment in it at all.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Great start made, Rod. You've chosen a method of construction which should see you up and running quite quickly (weather permitting!).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:50 am

Thanks for all the great comments guys, but my consultant has told me to rest for a few weeks now after my visit to him yesterday, my irregular heartbeat is going mental, has is Anne and my consultant after doing too much the other day.

You are right Phillip about the boards, it not the twisting it’s the bowing and curves in them, that is giving me some what of an headache, lol. I have read somewhere in my research on constructing a garden layout, that the grain in the wood is best facing down so has not to trap any moisture in the wood, well most of the board is curved with the grain facing down, so now i have small hills if you get my meaning, i.e. not level boards. I may have to rethink my construction of the boards, meaning buy some more, but that would be i have paid for boards that would only be fit for fire’s. :(

Still lesson learnt, don’t buy cheap online, wish i had an estate car then i could buy it from a proper wood merchants, although i did buy a couple of boards from B&Q so i could see how the layout would plan out, but they are £2 more then those online.

The moral i guess is, buy from people you know and can trust.
Anyway i will get a few weeks rest and then see how i feel, you never know the weather may improve (looking up to Heaven), and i can at least get that run down at that side of the garden and do some Autumn and Winter running.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Some progress been made this morning, one of my son-in-laws came to visit this morning and after hearing what caused my visit to the hospital offered to finish putting the rest of the boards on down the side by the garage.
End of the line where the station will be.
End of the line where the station will be.
DSCN2984.JPG (940.32 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
The inside board is for the track that will go around the Garden
The inside board is for the track that will go around the Garden
DSCN2985.JPG (923.2 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
At the far end i am hoping to put a bridge that will span at least 4’ and the end nearest will go around the birdbath.
DSCN2986.JPG
DSCN2986.JPG (896.49 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
DSCN2987.JPG
DSCN2987.JPG (902.2 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
DSCN2988.JPG
DSCN2988.JPG (907.1 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
DSCN2989.JPG
DSCN2989.JPG (895.91 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
Now on with laying some track, which i will do probably by the end of the week. My Birthday on Thursday( official retirement age) wow. So not much will be done until after that, Anne has got plans from Wednesday, secret plans with Daughters...

By the way would you stick the track down with glue of some sort or screws, baring in mind it is getting colder and i will need to allow for expense and contraction and how much space should i allow between rails.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:32 pm

I would screw it down with just enough to hold it in place. But allow enough room for movment. Use brass screws if possible to avoid corrosion problems. Leave an expansion gap at each rail joint.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks Jim :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:55 pm

Those timbers look like decking which is heavy duty and treated so should be worth the investment. You are fortunate in having assistance on hand. My own track is screwed down by drilling a few sleepers and countersinking screw heads flush with the surface. Eventually they will tone down and blend in with surroundings. Expansion gaps are essential, especially at this time of year as the heat of Summer (that was a joke!!!!!) will certainly cause distortion.
Take it easy and enjoy the process.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi Rob, just caught up with this. You are certainly progressing quickly. Another option for screwing track down could be stainless security screws from Toolstation or Screwfix. They use a star shape screw it, could deter somebody from pinching your track - the Forest of Dean is full of shady folk (me included)
Take care .

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Well laid some track today after my little excursion yesterday for my birthday, Anne is getting into the garden layout, she has bought somethings for the disused slate mine, a fork lift and figure, i haven’t got the heart to tell her the figure is a driver and the fork lift doesn’t really go, but i am not going to criticise her for doing it, at least she is taking an interest in doing something on the layout.

Some photos of the track
DSCN3002.jpg
DSCN3002.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 5589 times
DSCN3003.jpg
DSCN3003.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 5589 times
DSCN3004.jpg
DSCN3004.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5589 times
DSCN3005.JPG
DSCN3005.JPG (884.63 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
DSCN3006.jpg
DSCN3006.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5589 times

I think it looks ok the way it runs slightly of centre, it was done like that so it didn’t look to straight.

I am still loading a couple of videos on to youtube so when done i will put them up on here.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:33 pm

A couple of videos of the 1st run of the Tram on the layout.

https://youtu.be/mUk4TvFM5t0

https://youtu.be/VjHXMEUnQ-I

Can anyone tell me if it needs an oiling or is there something else i can do. :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 pm

That's a smart looking vehicle Rod, it is noisy though..... perhaps it's because it is a big hollow sound-box and needs some insulation material around the motor? It might be the gear meshing and that could mean replacing them.
Can you run it without the body so you can eliminate the problems one at a time?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 pm

I agree with Peter take it bit by bit and you should be able to identify the cause. Good luck.