Fairy Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 am

Hi Tom, the line running at the moment is end to end, but the new post’s i’am putting in are going round the border of the lawn, so i guess it will be a end to end round'y if you get my meaning. I would put a slo-mo in the loco, but don’t know if i am capable of doing such a task, wouldn’t that mean taking the boiler off or something like that. I can see the advantages of a slo-mo though on my line, it’s only small really and it would i suppose be more of a realistic running loco speed.

I am hoping that the weather holds off for a few more days, so i can get some more posts in and get there rest of the boards and track down in the next few days, hope to get the son-in-law to give me a hand, but if he can’t i will crack on with them, maybe a bit slower though lol.

But in the meantime if the weather is rubbish i do have a few models i can get on with that i bought when we went to Elscar from Model Town. A Station and a waiting room, plus those buffer stops.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re:Update of Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:49 am

Well, I have managed to get some more track and board laid in-between the rain, it’s slow process and i am getting there, will get some more done this weekend if the weather holds out. :sunny:
DSCN3037.JPG
DSCN3037.JPG (893.14 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
DSCN3038.jpg
DSCN3038.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6444 times
DSCN3039.JPG
DSCN3039.JPG (912.64 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
DSCN3040.jpg
DSCN3040.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 6444 times
Then hopefully we can have a good run of the Locos.... :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 am Once i have got power to it Tom how then can i test it to see if it’s ok.
If you have a couple of LEDs (and resistors) or even just a bulb, then you can wire them or it in place of the motor to see if you're getting any power from the rx ( assuming it's an Rx65b).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway (Up Date 1st trial run of the complete track)

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:13 am

Now this is something to be happy about, the Pickup is running great, after a new R/X, the old one was faulty, it is has the privilege of having the 1st trial on the completed track, although there is one point that needs replacing by the garage, all looks ok. I may at some point extend the track by the trees to come round, but that will need the permission of the CEO lol.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/fTGfINyW05w?rel=0/[/video]

Sorry for the wind, it was blowing a bit and i am using my Nikon, it does seem to catch all sound.
May get to run “Billy” today at some point.
But still some work to do on the track, like putting some edging on the board to help keep the ballast in, don’t know yet what to use and how to keep it from getting disturbed, i have thought about just leaving it loose, but it seems that isn’t the done thing....i will wait to see what other members suggest.

Also tried to embed the Video straight to the forum has tom_tom go has suggested, but it hasn’t worked i don’t think.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:28 am

The pickup runs well, glad it is sorted.

You need to use the correct YouTube link for embedding videos as explained here:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9208

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 am

Done it I think Tom.

https://youtu.be/0lMqGy-SVzc

No I haven’t. Doh :scratch:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway ( Update )

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:40 am

Been busy with the preparations of youngest daughters wedding which was on Saturday, had a brilliant day, but in-between i have managed to make these,

This is one i bought from Elscar show, with Billy.
DSCN3052.JPG
DSCN3052.JPG (839.39 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
DSCN3053.JPG
DSCN3053.JPG (900.15 KiB) Viewed 6193 times

I lined it.

And these are the ones i made.

This one is for Annes Tram.
DSCN3048.JPG
DSCN3048.JPG (866.92 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
DSCN3049.JPG
DSCN3049.JPG (833.62 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
DSCN3050.JPG
DSCN3050.JPG (910.47 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
And this one holds the Pickup and a little Diesel i made, no photos of the build sorry, i was so busy with the wedding. But it is made from 3 ply and Balsa with a IP chassis. All are lined with underlay.
DSCN3045.JPG
DSCN3045.JPG (910.29 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
DSCN3046.JPG
DSCN3046.JPG (839.73 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
DSCN3047.JPG
DSCN3047.JPG (891.32 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
All three together.
DSCN3054.JPG
DSCN3054.JPG (871.37 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
Hope to get out and do some more work on the line and get Billy steamed up and have a bit of a running session.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 am

Nice work Rod, good storage boxes are a must to protect our stock. Quite a collection you have already, going to be busy on your line.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:10 am

They took some time to make Peter,in-between the wedding, but now to come up with an idea to store the rolling stock, don’t want to make the same type of boxes i think, but not having seen anyone at steam ups with boxes to hold wagons and such, mainly because the host has provided them at these meeting’s, so will trawl the inter web, not something i want to do at the moment, but needs must.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 am

They look well made Rod. Let us know what you design for stock. I have been toying with flat drain pipe to make train holders but wonder whether ply might be the answer looking at those builds. I want something I can hold a train of wagons and then load easily onto the track. A job for another day.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 am

As soon has i have found something and made one Derek, i will post some photo’s of them, just need a :idea: moment... :thumbright:

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 am

For rolling stock storage and transportation I have noticed that at a lot of the meets that I have been to, members seem to often use the under bed type plastic storage boxes. You do have to shop around to find the right sizes but I have seen them in supermarkets, pound shops and places like The Range. Some have clip on lids and some are hinged but they all seem to be realistically priced. Another advantage is that most, if not all are designed for stacking.
I have not used any myself as my stock is stored on 'rail' type shelves in an outside building and I never seem to take any stock to local steam ups but seeing others using them struck me as a good idea.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks Phil for input, that is a great idea :idea: :thumbright: , but I think myself and bazzer42 and i suspect others would like to have something similar to what you have, a rolling track storage, you haver given me some food for thought though, I am going to try some experiments with the plastic boxes, they do need to be light and 3 ply is very light and strong, if you do them right. :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway( Live Steam Running Update )

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:29 am

Well it’s been a very busy time for me, so had the Grandkids round to have a running session with most of the locos, the Granddaughter loved it, she was waving at the “Billy” every time it went passed her, and when i ran Anne’s Tram with the coach’s she kept on saying “No people”, so i suppose i will have to try and put some in for next time.

I am needing to put something down on the lawn by the track next to the garage though, it is far too wet to stand on and the planks are killing the grass, so i have got some saw trees off my Brother to put down, hopefully it will help.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Did the Billy fall off at the end of the video?!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:21 am

No Tom, it hit the Tram that one of the grandsons tried to put on, no damage thankfully, but because I had my camera on a tripod and Anne and her Daughter where stood next to me I couldn’t see it hitting the Tram...lesson learnt though, stay in visual contact lol. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 am

Good to hear no damage occured, so easy for children to see delicate (and expensive) models as toys and things to play with, not a good mix!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Lovely to hear the grandchildren enjoying it :D My Harvey is 15 months, loves the garden but indifferent to the track so far. He is showing tendencies to push wooden cars so slowly but surely we are getting into transport.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 am

Your’e right there Peter, but to be honest it was my fault I left Anne’s Tram on the track near the little water feature and the youngest Grandson wanted to run it on the main track, and again he did ask me a couple of times if he could run it, but i was so busy trying to get used to the controls for “Billy”, well the rest is history. Still no harm done and I am glad the boys still want to run trains, I am hoping in years to come they will persuade their Mum & Dad to get a line laid in their own garden, which is huge by the way.

Today hopefully I am going to try to get some wooden stepping blocks down by the track near the garage to help stop the lawn getting damaged, all depends on this great British weather lol.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 am

bazzer42 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 pm Lovely to hear the grandchildren enjoying it :D My Harvey is 15 months, loves the garden but indifferent to the track so far. He is showing tendencies to push wooden cars so slowly but surely we are getting into transport.
Derek, the Grandkids love anything to do with trains has I do, I think I have mentioned before that I made them a small 4x3 N Gauge layout nearly 2 years ago now and they are always playing on it, the oldest one has even made some trees from scratch to put on it...brilliant.

Get him some wooden trains to push instead Derek...lol. :lol: