Fairy Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Haha well that's if I can get to run it Tom :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 am i am still having trouble binding the Pickup to the Deltang R/X, it moves about a foot then stops, goes back about 6” and stops
Hi Rod
Are the forward and back movements in response to moving the control knob on the Tx, or is it doing these forward and back movements spontaneously regardless of what instructions are coming from the Tx?

A video might help with the diagnosis

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Congratulations on your new engine. I know it well and I am certain you will be very happy with it.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks Jim, I am so happy with it, and like Tom has said the oil will last me years... :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:15 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 am i am still having trouble binding the Pickup to the Deltang R/X, it moves about a foot then stops, goes back about 6” and stops
Hi Rod
Are the forward and back movements in response to moving the control knob on the Tx, or is it doing these forward and back movements spontaneously regardless of what instructions are coming from the Tx?

A video might help with the diagnosis

Rik
Hi Rik,

The problem we think (Simon) from anythingnarrowgauge, is the r/x, it seems it may be faulty, Simon is getting me another one, so hopefully it will be sorted.

The movements are my doing, the Pickup will stop after about a foot, then i switch it in reverse and it stops after about 6”.

This is only a small problem, but one that is annoying, but i will perceiver with it though, it is a nice looking vehicle and i don’t want to bin it, not that i would anyway.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:18 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:15 am Hi Rik,
The problem we think (Simon) from anythingnarrowgauge, is the r/x, it seems it may be faulty, Simon is getting me another one, so hopefully it will be sorted.
Hi Rod
It's possible. Might also be something to do with the motor and/or the mechanism overloading the esc in the rx. Trying a new rx should reveal what's causing it.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 am

Have you tried the Rx on it's own and not part of the wiring of the pickup loco?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:18 am
FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:15 am Hi Rik,
Hi Rod
It's possible. Might also be something to do with the motor and/or the mechanism overloading the esc in the rx. Trying a new rx should reveal what's causing it.

Rik
I am hoping so Rik. But if it is the motor it will be an easy fix.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 am Have you tried the Rx on it's own and not part of the wiring of the pickup loco?
I wouldn’t know how to do that Tom, how would i do that please.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:39 am

You just need to get power to the Rx.

The battery pack that came with your Roundhouse loco is it removable from the roof?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:31 am

It is Tom.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:29 am

You can use that power pack then for the Deltang Rx as it is 4.8v (4 Γ— AA is what RH use).

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 am

Once i have got power to it Tom how then can i test it to see if it’s ok.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway (Up Date)

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:31 am

Well cleared up the border by next doors garage, (Well Anne did) and it’s looking a lot better now, also managed to get my live steamer bought of Peter Butler, after a little confusion mainly on my part, reason being the gas regulator was slipping on the shaft,so it wasn’t opening, so i took it off along with the spring and turned it around, works great now.

Little video of it running, and don’t worry i do have buffer stops, but i was so excited to get to at last run my loco, i will get round to fitting them before i run it again i promise.

https://youtu.be/mcak6xHodqY

I have also started to put some more post in for the rest of the track in-between the rain, the last one was so heavy it flooded the drive, which doesn’t normally happen.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:57 am

Looking good, nice quiet garden you have there.

Is your line going to be end to end? If so, a Slomo would make a big difference to that loco or at least an inertia wagon.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 am

Hi Tom, the line running at the moment is end to end, but the new post’s i’am putting in are going round the border of the lawn, so i guess it will be a end to end round'y if you get my meaning. I would put a slo-mo in the loco, but don’t know if i am capable of doing such a task, wouldn’t that mean taking the boiler off or something like that. I can see the advantages of a slo-mo though on my line, it’s only small really and it would i suppose be more of a realistic running loco speed.

I am hoping that the weather holds off for a few more days, so i can get some more posts in and get there rest of the boards and track down in the next few days, hope to get the son-in-law to give me a hand, but if he can’t i will crack on with them, maybe a bit slower though lol.

But in the meantime if the weather is rubbish i do have a few models i can get on with that i bought when we went to Elscar from Model Town. A Station and a waiting room, plus those buffer stops.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re:Update of Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:49 am

Well, I have managed to get some more track and board laid in-between the rain, it’s slow process and i am getting there, will get some more done this weekend if the weather holds out. :sunny:
DSCN3037.JPG
DSCN3037.JPG (893.14 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
DSCN3038.jpg
DSCN3038.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6447 times
DSCN3039.JPG
DSCN3039.JPG (912.64 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
DSCN3040.jpg
DSCN3040.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 6447 times
Then hopefully we can have a good run of the Locos.... :thumbup:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 am Once i have got power to it Tom how then can i test it to see if it’s ok.
If you have a couple of LEDs (and resistors) or even just a bulb, then you can wire them or it in place of the motor to see if you're getting any power from the rx ( assuming it's an Rx65b).

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway (Up Date 1st trial run of the complete track)

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:13 am

Now this is something to be happy about, the Pickup is running great, after a new R/X, the old one was faulty, it is has the privilege of having the 1st trial on the completed track, although there is one point that needs replacing by the garage, all looks ok. I may at some point extend the track by the trees to come round, but that will need the permission of the CEO lol.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/fTGfINyW05w?rel=0/[/video]

Sorry for the wind, it was blowing a bit and i am using my Nikon, it does seem to catch all sound.
May get to run β€œBilly” today at some point.
But still some work to do on the track, like putting some edging on the board to help keep the ballast in, don’t know yet what to use and how to keep it from getting disturbed, i have thought about just leaving it loose, but it seems that isn’t the done thing....i will wait to see what other members suggest.

Also tried to embed the Video straight to the forum has tom_tom go has suggested, but it hasn’t worked i don’t think.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:28 am

The pickup runs well, glad it is sorted.

You need to use the correct YouTube link for embedding videos as explained here:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9208