Fairy Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 am

Well i have made a start with the BCATRR and i received my new purchase’s, although i am happy with both of them, i really love the Pick Up and the Tram is growing on me, disaster when i opened the box although it was well wrapped (not in original box) some of the parts have broken off, although it will be an easy fix hopefully, it will be for you more experienced members, it was really disappointing to find them broken off. I got back in touch with the person who sold them to me had was told they would send me some Fox glue, i don’t know if i have to pay for this clue, but not knowing a lot about glue’s and stuff for outdoors is this ok, i suspect it is and where would i get some from, i do have some Aliphatic Glue and some Gorilla Glue, would these be ok.

Couple of photo’s of them,

1st the Tram,
DSCN2644.JPG
DSCN2644.JPG (862.8 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
DSCN2643.JPG
DSCN2643.JPG (874.01 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
2nd the PickUp Truck

I will get better at loading and posting honest, has for the paint, what type would be used for the black or any colour that i would use for my modelling.
Attachments
DSCN2640.JPG
DSCN2640.JPG (849.44 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
DSCN2642.JPG
DSCN2642.JPG (882.92 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
DSCN2630.JPG
DSCN2630.JPG (816.33 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
DSCN2631.JPG
DSCN2631.JPG (839.11 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
DSCN2632.JPG
DSCN2632.JPG (872.04 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
Last edited by FWLR on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

philipy

Re: MY BCATRR

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 am

That tram body looks very nice, hope you got it at a good price.
The mechanism looks rather more suspect however. Personally I wouldn't be happy with a small motor mounted like that on a block of wood, for the obvious reason that the joint is quite likely to give way! I would get piece of aluminium angle and make a new motor mount, rather than trying to repair whats there with the associated problem of meshing the gears at the same time.
I've never heard of FoxGlue myself, but a quick search comes up with it apparently being a Ukrainian product and it seems to be some sort of contact adhesive.

If you really want to repair the wood-wood joints, I'd clean them back to bare wood ( both surfaces) and then use Evostick Weatherproof, or similar, PVA. At the same time glue a small reinforcing strip on the inside of the joint.

What are the axleboxes and other detached bits made of? For plastic to plastic joints, my favoured adhesive is Plasticweld, which will stick most common plastics. It will also stick plastic to wood but I wouldn't trust it for a structural joint of that type.

Hope this helps a little.
Last edited by philipy on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 am

The tram looks great, is it an IP Engineering model?

Wood glue is not going to work well on the white metal parts so you want to be using an industrial super glue (do not buy standard household super glue).

Paint wise, for the touch up work you want to do on the truck use Humbrol or Revell enamel.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 pm

:thumbright: Some nice stock there for a small line. Sound advice on glue and paint there, you learn a lot when forced into repairs. I've learned a lot aboutsteam fittings and whistles in the last 24 hours :D

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:56 am

That tram looks a lovely job, nice build and good paintwork.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:33 pm

I have now repaired the Pick Up and it looks a lot better,
DSCN2648.JPG
DSCN2648.JPG (830.27 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
DSCN2647.JPG
DSCN2647.JPG (748.33 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
DSCN2646.JPG
DSCN2646.JPG (826.33 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
DSCN2645.JPG
DSCN2645.JPG (861.37 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
philipy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 am That tram body looks very nice, hope you got it at a good price.
If you really want to repair the wood-wood joints, I'd clean them back to bare wood ( both surfaces) and then use Evostick Weatherproof, or similar, PVA.
Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for your advice philipy, but i have repaired it with Deluxe Materials Asphaltic glue, it seems to be ok.
tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 am The tram looks great, is it an IP Engineering model?

Wood glue is not going to work well on the white metal parts so you want to be using an industrial super glue (do not buy standard household super glue).

Paint wise, for the touch up work you want to do on the truck use Humbrol or Revell enamel.
Hi tom_tom_go, the Tram is a Perfect World Woodpecker Tram, the Pick Up is an IP Engineering model, they are good.

Would any of these be ok also has a glue for future models i may build, which hopefully i will.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/aca ... #aP5524806

And i will now have to start buying enamel paint now has well as my acrylic that i have for my N Gauge stuff, oh well it is getting to be a real passion for me, has is all and everything about railways, except for the more modern stuff which doesn’t seem to do anything for me.

I have to redo the back garden crazy paving 1st before i can even contemplate building anything for the layout, so it may be a few weeks before i can show anything of what is in my mind to show members yet, but i will hopefully set up a little bit of track so i can run the locos i have and see how they perform, it will also show me how to best lay the track, i haven’t come up with anything has yet to run my layout, i don’t know whether to go on the ground, build a little wall from something or got high. It is a decision that i haven’t made yet, there is of course a few things to consider,age (getting older and having my health problems), cost ( don’t want to spend a fortune ) easy, ( How easy it will be to construct) and of course i can’t distract from the the property ( I don’t own it ) so it would have to improve the value for the landlord for if and when i have to leave it, which won’t be for some years yet.

Here are a few photo’s of the garden.
DSCN2653.JPG
DSCN2653.JPG (903.66 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
DSCN2654.JPG
DSCN2654.JPG (890.47 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
DSCN2655.JPG
DSCN2655.JPG (889.62 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
I did have in mind to do an out and back with 2 loops, one by the patio by the Bungalow and the other at the bottom patio area, with either, a single or double track running down the side of next doors garage, i don’t know if that will work or just let it flow and see how it works.

Lots to think about and do,but i will keep updates coming and i hope to do a small video, but i have yet to work out how to post it.

Happy Modelling :thumbright: :thumbright:
Last edited by FWLR on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Congratulations on fixing the pick-up, it looks to be a very nice model. Your garden shows great potential for a railway. Your options about track height above the ground are interesting from an age and health point of view, bending becomes less appealing at our age and might restrict its use after your efforts.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

The acrylic paints you have will come in useful for weathering your stock so don't bin them!

Your garden has great potential. Being a slightly younger steamer even at my age I can recommend you get your track as high as possible to avoid bending down. If you must run at ground level then try to have one part of the garden that is lower than the track or dig at pit so you access locos and stock at a comfortable height.

Usual advice for track laying. Put in the largest radius you can and get the track as level as possible. You won't regret all the hard work you put in later on particularly when you run live steamers...

A decent rail bender is a must, do not try and pin flexi-track down without bending it first.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:46 am

Thank you tom_tom_go i will keep the acrylics, i do use them on my N Gauge stuff.

Can you recommend a decent rail bender.
Peter Butler wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm Congratulations on fixing the pick-up, it looks to be a very nice model. Your garden shows great potential for a railway. Your options about track height above the ground are interesting from an age and health point of view, bending becomes less appealing at our age and might restrict its use after your efforts.
Thanks Peter, If a could use all the garden it would be fantastic, but alas i have been told by the “CEO” that all i can use is the bit along the garage next door.

Still better than nothing i suppose. We have had a fair bit if rain here over the last few days, so it has stopped me doing anything at all in the garden. i am going to visit West Lancs LightRailway on Saturday morning, depending on the weather, i think they have 32mm track, or at least a mobile layout will be attending.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 am

Not much happening at the moment although i have come across this stuff, it only goes up to 45cm, just under 1’ 6” which for me would be to low, i guess i could buy some longer post’s so it would be at a better height of say 3’. There is also an option to buy some wider tops that will do a 3 metre length ( 9’ 10” ).

https://www.filcris.co.uk/product/ladde ... gh-ladder2

Hope to get the crazy paving done this week before we go to Ravenglass to watch the son-in-law run the Bassenthwaite Iron Man and then a visit to laalratty itself.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 am

BCATRR wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 am Not much happening at the moment although i have come across this stuff, it only goes up to 45cm, just under 1’ 6” which for me would be to low, i guess i could buy some longer post’s so it would be at a better height of say 3’. There is also an option to buy some wider tops that will do a 3 metre length ( 9’ 10” ).

https://www.filcris.co.uk/product/ladde ... gh-ladder2

Hope to get the crazy paving done this week before we go to Ravenglass to watch the son-in-law run the Bassenthwaite Iron Man and then a visit to laalratty itself.
Do a search on here for Filcris and you'll find a number of threads by people who use it.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:01 am

Went to West Lancs Light Railway open day Sunday with the CEO, if you what to win them other take them to a show and get them on your side, i now have permission to start my layout which the CEO has named “Fairy Wood Light Railway” mainly due to the fact that this little water feature she wanted and built was not to be moved or destroyed, small price to pay i think,
DSCN2656.JPG
DSCN2656.JPG (935.55 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
DSCN2657.JPG
DSCN2657.JPG (916.5 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
DSCN2658.JPG
DSCN2658.JPG (914.1 KiB) Viewed 13897 times
I hopefully will have finished the bit of garden where the crazy paving is then it will be a case after this weekend to make a start on the layout.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm

I like the water feature as there something about the sight and sounds of trickling water in the garden.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: (MY BCATRR) Fairy Wood Light Railway (FWLR)

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 am

Thanks Tom, my partner Anne did this, that’s why my layout will now be called FWLR (Fairy Wood Light Railway), she has the CEO given permission to build the layout although in a limited area, until maybe i can apply for planning permission to extend, but hey, allowed to build in the 1st place is a start.

How did i win her over i hear to say, well i took her took an open day at a local event near us at Hesketh Bank, West Lancs Light Railway and showed her what my locos i have bought would look similar to if i could have a track in our garden, well needless to say, she was astounded at how well they looked, i think she was more impressed with the building that was on the layout, unfortunately i took photos of it and videos on my iPad and the files are to big to upload on the forum, which is a shame, because i saw a great model of a car, it was a sweet or biscuit tin that one of the members of the Southport Engineering Society had made in to a working model, it is brilliant. Well that was it what won her over i think, she knows i have ago at making things, though not always successful, lol, i do have a very vivid imagination, not always the best thing to have by the way, but since being young has a small boy i have made things that work to some degree or other.

I will keep the thread updated with has many photos and videos has i go on my journey into my new hobby of garden rail, (i will keep my N gauge going, but it will now take 2nd stage), just wish i could load them up from my iPad though, it is less hassle for me and far easier, maybe a member can help with that.

Happy Modelling :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: MY BCATRR, Now called Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 am

Just took 20 minutes to upload this to youtube, for les then a minute of video that is rubbish really, compered to a lot of forum sites that can upload it in a few minutes, but hey oh, here it is of that little car.

Hope you like it has much as we did. :thumbright:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 pm I like the water feature as there something about the sight and sounds of trickling water in the garden.
Yes, the repeated urged to go to the lavvy! My dislike of small scale trickling water is a standing joke between the wife and I.

Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: MY BCATRR, Now called Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 am

Well we can’t all be close to the Niagara Falls Peter, lol.

By the way i wasn’t meaning anything by it on loading videos on to the forum, i was just saying how long it took youtube to do it.

Happy Modelling. :thumbup: :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:39 am

Well after some rubbish weather and me not feeling 100%, I have made a start on putting the posts in for it. I have used 65mm square guttering pipes and I have drove them into the clay soil about 18” to 2’, I can tell you that didn’t help my health one bit, but hey I am still here just.. :lol:
DSCN2971.JPG
DSCN2971.JPG (908.85 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
DSCN2972.JPG
DSCN2972.JPG (912.12 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
DSCN2974.JPG
DSCN2974.JPG (890.57 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
DSCN2975.JPG
DSCN2975.JPG (906.14 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
I need to put one more in by the 1st post by the Holly Tree, i have had to lower them from the original height because Anne thought they were to high and i must say i have had to agree with her, also so i can get to put some more posts in around the rest of the borders haha. The reason being is i had put some wooden blocks inside the posts ready for the decking board i will be using, but when i was hitting the post, with a block of wood held on the top, it flipping split the pipe, words were spoken....i was too knackered to put one in yesterday after lowering them and another reason was one of the youngest Granddaughters arrived, so she took priority.

You can tell how much water has been dropped from the clouds, the lawn is not usually has bad as that, it’s not the best anyway, but round that side of the lawn it is now water logged.

Just waiting now for the boards to arrive on Monday hopefully, even though they are pressure treated i will be putting some wood preserver on them has well. Then lay some track and have a run with my battery locos, i am hopefully buying a live Roundhouse within the next week, so i will post an update then.

Happy Running. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by FWLR on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Jim

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by Big Jim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Great start Rod.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Congratulations on cutting the first sod Rod. I hope you enjoy the build once the really hard work is done. Keep us posted on progress.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"