The Leawarra Nayook Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
LNR
Driver
Driver

Friday Morning Goods

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:23 am

Well it rained here all yesterday, but today before the humidity got up too much, I steamed the Lumberjack on a goods train.

And because it was cooler I had visible steam, (not by British standards I know!) if you look very closely.

Two log empties for Warringine.

And two general goods for Nayook.(Note steam, you had to be quick!!)

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:00 am

:thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 am

Absolutely stunning pictures... please tell us about your rolling stock, scratch-built, modified kits or other?????
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:58 am

The goods stock and guards van are all scratch built, mostly on fox truck type bogies, with chopper couplings. The bogie log trucks have silver soldered steel archbars, and timber frames.
 My early builds in this scale tended to be belts and braces style. I had doubts (soon dispelled) about whitemetal from a strength point of view. I've adopted a standard underframe now, of aluminium angle, with timber bodies.
 I do have three pass. cars much modified from Bachmann Jackson Sharp cars. They appear in an earlier pic.
 The louvre van was made by using an adaption of a fence and table I made that screws to my router. It's what I use to turn a 3/4' thick board into a weatherboard wall as seen on two of the buildings at Nayook. The fence runs off the preceding board, so I can get a bit of sag if I want. Vertical channels sawn in for the vertical battens on the sides of the van. Door hardware and so on.

Image  Image

The open wagon, one of two, has opening and removeable sides, and ends, a foam load with a tarp from khaki material, tied with sixteen scale sheep shank knots tied with tweezers. As I've said elsewhere, you don't have to be mad, but it helps.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:06 pm

I thought my builds were detailed but nothing compared to yours.
Possibly mine are 'exhibition standard', yours appear to meet 'Museum standards' in my opinion. I do hope they are appreciated by all who know you.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:41 pm

Peter is right Grant, these pictures and the rolling stock in them are absolutely remarkable! I'm taking such inspiration from them.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:54 pm

Thanks for your comments, and if it's inspiring that's great, but Graeme (GTB of this forum) is the one for museum quality detail in my book. Mind you Peter, those log bogies you did back on page 40 of your railway were a superb weathering effort. Weathered timber is made up of many colours, and you've certainly nailed it there.
My stock is all working stock and has done many miles over time, it needs to be strongly built, with enough detail to suggest reality. I'm also a great believer in weathering. Some wagons have considerable paint missing from working surfaces, timber wear, rust and general grime. All part of them being seen "in" the landscape rather than on it.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:56 am

Well the local shire council resurfaced the main road through Nayook today, still got the road down to the mill to do. Should knock that over tomorrow. Also Ways & Works oiled the bridge with sump oil for the winter. Both Depts. are well satisfied!.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Some wonderful photos, thank you! Those last photos inspired me to run my own Regner today - I must get on with repainting mine! I agree with the others too, beautiful rolling stock...

Cheers,

Andrew.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Very Nice!!!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:53 am

Image The Morning Passenger Service Hunslet in charge, pulling away from Leawarra in greener times.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:31 am

LNR:116981 wrote:Image    The Morning Passenger Service Hunslet in charge, pulling away from Leawarra in greener times.
These must be the Jackson Sharps you mentioned. Have you raised their height?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:11 am

Yes Ric, raised them by about 15mm if I remember correctly. Many of our pass cars were repaired along the bottom edges with tin sheathing (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) also lengthened the end platforms and new railings, cut the clerestory short, and changed bogie spacing and end doors. The pic. shows a visiting Jackson Sharpe coupled to one of mine showing the difference.

After building my first loco I needed pass cars quickly as you do when starting off, and these got me a train for the first GSSU.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:38 pm

More splendid and inspirational shots, thanks for sharing them. To those of us yet to get our railways out of the ground they continue to be a great inspiration. :D
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:15 am

LNR:116985 wrote:Yes Ric, raised them by about 15mm if I remember correctly. Many of our pass cars were repaired along the bottom edges with tin sheathing (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) also lengthened the end platforms and new railings, cut the clerestory short, and changed bogie spacing and end doors. The pic. shows a visiting Jackson Sharpe coupled to one of mine showing the difference.

After building my first loco I needed pass cars quickly as you do when starting off, and these got me a train for the first GSSU.
A neat mod. Also, it's quite remarkable how lengthening the balcony and shortening the clerestory makes so much difference.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 am

Have you had one of those days where everything just goes right! Well I've just had one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've been experimenting with the front end of my Bagnall. I'ts always been a wet engine, so I decided to experiment with a chuffer, not to make the chuff louder, but more to re-direct the wet and oily part of the exhaust.
After quite a few tries I achieved a good combination of sound with minimum loss of power ( it actually appears to have broadened the torque band ) etched and painted it on Saturday and have been dying to try it.
So today I made up a heavy train and had a perfect run. The engine shunts really well, and even after a short station stop, is totally oil and water free. No more constantly wiping it down. I'd washed the engine in preparation for this run, and it's totally clean after a morning and an afternoon run. Very happy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:59 pm

...and yet you offer no actual proof that this really happened.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Sorry I was enjoying it too much to take a photo. Besides a black thing in a black hole doesn't make a great photo.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:59 am

PROOF!
Just for you Keith, blowing a bit of a gale but I steamed up the loco again today. Lighter train, but once again no mess. Don't know
if this shows it "no mess Charlie"

Image Image
Like I said, black thing in a black hole.

After running bunker first back to Leawarra, the smokebox and frontplate would usually be spattered with fine oil and water. :lol: :lol:

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:41 am

Bit of time spent on the lathe this afternoon yielded 16 axle bushes, to start putting together two pairs of Fox Trucks.

Have to make up the bolsters next, then prime and paint. Then it's on to underframes.