The Leawarra Nayook Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 am

Have you had one of those days where everything just goes right! Well I've just had one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've been experimenting with the front end of my Bagnall. I'ts always been a wet engine, so I decided to experiment with a chuffer, not to make the chuff louder, but more to re-direct the wet and oily part of the exhaust.
After quite a few tries I achieved a good combination of sound with minimum loss of power ( it actually appears to have broadened the torque band ) etched and painted it on Saturday and have been dying to try it.
So today I made up a heavy train and had a perfect run. The engine shunts really well, and even after a short station stop, is totally oil and water free. No more constantly wiping it down. I'd washed the engine in preparation for this run, and it's totally clean after a morning and an afternoon run. Very happy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:59 pm

...and yet you offer no actual proof that this really happened.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:54 pm

Sorry I was enjoying it too much to take a photo. Besides a black thing in a black hole doesn't make a great photo.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:59 am

PROOF!
Just for you Keith, blowing a bit of a gale but I steamed up the loco again today. Lighter train, but once again no mess. Don't know
if this shows it "no mess Charlie"

Image Image
Like I said, black thing in a black hole.

After running bunker first back to Leawarra, the smokebox and frontplate would usually be spattered with fine oil and water. :lol: :lol:

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:41 am

Bit of time spent on the lathe this afternoon yielded 16 axle bushes, to start putting together two pairs of Fox Trucks.

Have to make up the bolsters next, then prime and paint. Then it's on to underframes.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:35 am

I have continued the above in the Rollingstock section

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 am

The afternoon Pass. has been made up, and the Hunslet is about to top up with water before coupling up and heading off to Nayook

Later the same day, the pass. has returned, locos on shed, and all is quiet in the afternoon sunshine at Leawarra.

Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 05, 2016 2:00 pm

Just beautiful...... that's all!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:59 pm

Superb. Full of rural character and narrow guage charm.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 05, 2016 9:02 pm

I agree with the others, wonderfully atmospheric photos, thank you!

Andrew.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri May 06, 2016 9:56 am

Thank you one and all for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. Makes lying around on the ground with blocks of wood or bricks for the camera to take photos all seem worth it. If I can inspire others that might make up for the inspiration and ideas I have gleaned from the forum in the past and will continue to do in the future.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 06, 2016 12:16 pm

LNR:117858 wrote:Thank you one and all for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. Makes lying around on the ground with blocks of wood or bricks for the camera to take photos all seem worth it. If I can inspire others that might make up for the inspiration and ideas I have gleaned from the forum in the past and will continue to do in the future.
Grant.
It's certainly worth the extra effort. Great atmosphere on your railway.

BTW, what did you use for the canvas hose on the water crane? Looks spot-on.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri May 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Rik, the bags on the water cranes are the hemmed parts from the sleeves of khaki cotton shirts, frayed at the bottom with an exacto knife. I use the shirt material for tarps and other "canvas" bits, and the hems were left overs that happened to prove useful.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 06, 2016 9:11 pm

LNR:117860 wrote:Rik, the bags on the water cranes are the hemmed parts from the sleeves of khaki cotton shirts, frayed at the bottom with an exacto knife. I use the shirt material for tarps and other "canvas" bits, and the hems were left overs that happened to prove useful.
Grant.
Very clever - looks just right!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 07, 2016 9:07 am

Agree with Rik there, might have to borrow that idea ;)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat May 07, 2016 2:49 pm

LNR:117036 wrote:PROOF!
Just for you Keith, blowing a bit of a gale but I steamed up the loco again today. Lighter train, but once again no mess. Don't know
if this shows it "no mess Charlie"

Image Image
                                                 Like I said, black thing in a black hole.

After running bunker first back to Leawarra, the smokebox and frontplate would usually be spattered with fine oil and water. :lol:  :lol:
Ha ha, Sorry, I just saw your response!

I'm pleased that I managed to get you to show us more photos of that lovely engine! :D

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat May 07, 2016 11:50 pm

Sounds like a cue, to me.

Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 08, 2016 10:28 am

Did you build the loco yourself Grant?  I can only make out a Roundhouse chassis in there somewhere :lol:

Whatever it is, it's excellent...

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun May 08, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Tom and thank you,
The loco is a home build, but using a Roundhouse Katy boiler and cylinders, axles and some motion, with my own frames, rods, body, wheels, trucks etc. I bought a Katy frame and boiler kit, used the frames wheels and axles to make my petrol/mechanical loco, and the boiler cylinders and gear for this loco.

I wanted to build one of the 2ft. gauge Bagnalls from the Sth. African Avontuur line, but found outside frames on a leading four wheel truck at 45mm gauge would'nt negotiate my points, so the loco is a freelance 2-6-2, with I'd like to think a hint of the said Bagnalls.

The smokebox is quite long as it actually extends back to nearly the first boiler band, so it's a good echo chamber. It steams well even on 42mm wheels, and is quite heavy so has plenty of momentum.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 15, 2016 5:14 am

Thanks for sharing the pics Grant, it is a great looking loco.