Kent & North Wales Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:40 am

Andrew:99015 wrote:What a lovely beastie! Despite my line's WHR influence I don't think I could squeeze one of those round it, so it's very impressive that you manage indoors - have you got enough of a run (and enough stock) to make it work hard?

Glad to see the local's serving Kentish ale...

All the best,

Andrew

The upper circuit is around 35m long in a cellar room some 6m x 14m. Just at the moment, the NG16 is being run in, but afterwards it will get a passenger train of up to 6 bogie coaches from Perfect World kits. But for the moment, it´s easy does it.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Some repaired goodies picked up from Peterboro. Ok, the black QH is new, but too beautiful to resist.

The Single Fairlie has been lined out by Matt Acton.

ImageK&NWLR: Pre-owned Peter Angus-built Single Fairlie, newly lined out by Matt Acton by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: TME Quarry Hunslets "Maid Marian", after repairs and lining out by TME, and "Nesta", a carefully looked after pre-owned locomotive by kandnwlr, on Flickr

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:45 pm

Three rare and interesting locos there, and all nicely lined out.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 pm

laalratty:99592 wrote:Three rare and interesting locos there, and all nicely lined out.
All second hand (and in need of repairs in one case) acquired over the last couple of years as in need of a new home. The K&NWLR always tries its best to help.

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:19 pm

I've just had a look through this thread and all I can say is wow, absolutely wow. The loco fleet, the railway, the scenics, the detail and all indoors too. Once again..........WOW

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:10 am

DVT Dweller:99604 wrote:I've just had a look through this thread and all I can say is wow, absolutely wow. The loco fleet, the railway, the scenics, the detail and all indoors too. Once again..........WOW
Many thanks. If you could see how much there is to do still ..... :roll:

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Having spent the day landscaping the area around Stokesay Castle, time to take some pics. It´s even possible that the Regner rack railway engine "Rigi No. 7" is on its way, so the castle may soon have some added value for tourists.

ImageK&NWLR: Stokesay Castle in the background with bridge of rack railway (in prep.), and a Pearse W&L "Earl" on the upper loop, and  a Peter Angus Single Fairlie on the lower. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Both parts of Stokesay Castle after landscaping and tree planting by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Left hand end of Stokesay Castle by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Stokesay Castle from below with rack railway entrance to the right by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: View of Stokesay castle from the level of the company warehouse by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Last edited by kandnwlr on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Love the pictures of the NWNGR train, thank you!

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Andrew:99724 wrote:Love the pictures of the NWNGR train, thank you!

Andrew.
Likewise! Although I believe the brake is FfR number 11/Van 4
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:56 am

laalratty:99726 wrote:
Andrew:99724 wrote:Love the pictures of the NWNGR train, thank you!

Andrew.
Likewise! Although I believe the brake is FfR number 11/Van 4

Correcto. The bogie coach is FfR No. 23 and the brake saloon is No. 11, both by Perfect World. I started off years back just using varnish, rather than paint, so that´s what the K&NWLR has stuck to, sometimes quite literally, when I pick them up before they´re dry.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:27 pm

It´s been a long time arriving. Ordered in 2012, a Regner Rigi No. 7 has finally made it to the K&NWLR .... now if only I had the rack to go with the railway (only ordered today)  :?

ImageK&NWLR: Regner Rigi No. 7 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

Image028 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

Image059 by kandnwlr, on Flickr

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Now that is very nice.

Look forward to seeing it in video action soon.

I've seen the original No.7 in the Swiss Museum of Transport, and also traveled on the steam special at the Rigi Bahnen.

Chris Cairns.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:32 am

Chris Cairns:100023 wrote:Now that is very nice.

Look forward to seeing it in video action soon.

I've seen the original No.7 in the Swiss Museum of Transport, and also traveled on the steam special at the Rigi Bahnen.

Chris Cairns.
Yup, I made a pilgrimage to see this one in Lucerne recently, but I missed out when it was returned to the Rigi, even if I did travel on both the Rigi railways back in March this year. Wonder whether they´ll let it happen again? :D

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:46 pm

And I´ve got to get landscaping again and install the Portmeirion style bridge to the upper loop from the back of the rack rail station across the lower loop. In these older pics it´s just held up by its own weight, but shortly afterwards managed to push the station building off the edge ....

ImageK&NWLR: Rack railway "bridge of sighs" to Portmeirion by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Rack railway "bridge of signs" to Portmeirion by kandnwlr, on Flickr

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:29 pm

Looks fantastic, love the windows on the bridge. Hope the station building was OK...

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Fantastic! If you get a chance would it be possible to post a sort of photographic tour around the line? I can't quite piece together how all the features go together in my mind.
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 am

steamyjim:100080 wrote:Fantastic! If you get a chance would it be possible to post a sort of photographic tour around the line? I can't quite piece together how all the features go together in my mind.
I can scarcely put things together myself. But the major things to note are:

1. Two separate sides to the layout: Kent and North Wales
2. Two separate loops: an upper (45mm) and a lower (32/45mm dual gauge)
3. Each loop has a separate terminus station which juts out from the loop into the room, Wales for the upper loop, Kent for the lower. But just to confuse things, each loop passes through both Kent and North Wales, obviously.
4. Dimensions 6m x 14m

But as you point out, a picture (or two) might help ..... and, as the current Ms K&NWLR has noted, might force me to clear up some of the debris which is currently littered about the floor.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:04 am

Andrew:100077 wrote:Looks fantastic, love the windows on the bridge. Hope the station building was OK...
Just superficial damage. Now it´s time to landscape and to fix the buildings in a manner which prevents future disasters ...

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:24 pm

steamyjim:100080 wrote:Fantastic! If you get a chance would it be possible to post a sort of photographic tour around the line? I can't quite piece together how all the features go together in my mind.
Many thanks for the request. In fact, I´ve been wondering about it myself. All photos of the Kent side, on show here, were taken without flash, but with longer exposure times, so there´s some glare from the room lights. As the more observant amongst you will note, no serious clearing up was done beforehand  :-\ And yes, one of the bottles on the table is gin. :P

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - an overview of the Kentish side of the layout. The Wallace & Gromit space rocket next to the half-timbered building is a termporary attraction. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - the view from the castle toward the oast house and St Trinian´s. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - looking back at the castle with the Gn15 line to the left of the lower loop, ending underneath the upper loop bridge. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - the Green Man pub to the right, St Trinian´s in the background and the oast house to the left. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - the bridge across the river at St Trinian´s Halt, with the oast house and St. Trinian´s to the right. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - the Kentish corner with a mill building in the background. Watch this space for new Canterbury buildings soon. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - the terminus station on the left with the village and pub above the upper loop in the background. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NWLR: Kent - a view onto the Kent terminus station with footbridge. by kandnwlr, on Flickr

ImageK&NET: Kent - a view over the Kent terminus looking up to the pub above the upper loop. by kandnwlr, on Flickr
Last edited by kandnwlr on Thu May 01, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Thank you for taking the photos! Your line is a work of art! Seriously impressive stuff. :D
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA