North East Victoria Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: North East Victoria Railway

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:30 pm

Tropic Blunder wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:54 pm I'm not entirely happy with the colours as they look suspiciously like BR Blood and custard but due to the lack of better options its going to have to do for the time being.
20221026_204029.jpg
I can see what you mean, but the 'custard' looks a little too pale for that and of course the ends would be black not maroon. How it compares to the true colour you are aiming for I can't comment on. Having said all that, the model itself looks magnificent!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:36 am

I do like the colour, but has Phillip says, the 'custard' looks a bit pale. It's a lot deeper. But if that's all you have at the moment then it will have to do like you say. Also are you after your own colour scheme, it doesn't really matter too much if you are.

Apply Rule 1.....It's your line :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:14 am

Thanks guys. The car being modelled is the one on the left which as you can see when photographed in the typical Victorian overcast weather is quite a dark red/brown. The creams vary from car to car depending on fading but I'm not as concerned by that.
275211964_680816950017148_4954130014430126287_n.jpg
275211964_680816950017148_4954130014430126287_n.jpg (381.73 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
When photographed in bright sunlight though its quite a bit brighter which probably matches what I've got not too poorly
DSC00612.JPG
DSC00612.JPG (3.97 MiB) Viewed 3799 times
Will do the job for a bit though having produced a few items of Australian stock I've completely given up on kitbashing or repainting proprietary stock now. They just cant substitute for the correct item really so it'll have to do the job until I can pull it back out of service for a tweak up.
Jake

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:47 am

The colours look good to me, but more importantly (to me, anyway!), your models really capture the "feel" of those distinctive carriages - very nice!

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:32 pm

Tropic Blunder wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:14 am The car being modelled is the one on the left which as you can see when photographed in the typical Victorian overcast weather is quite a dark red/brown. The creams vary from car to car depending on fading but I'm not as concerned by that.
The model certainly looks like a TGR BBL to me.........

When it comes to the colour, are you aiming to replicate the Bellarine Railway paint scheme, or the late TGR scheme?

It looks like a reasonable match to the way it's prototype is currently painted, but if you want the model to match the late TGR scheme it would have carried when it arrived at Queenscliff, the colours should be bright red and deep cream. I haven't been on that side of the bay for decades, but looking at photos, the colours used on the two preserved X class diesels look close enough.

Regards,
Graeme

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:44 am

Thanks Graeme thats a good start! Im more aiming for the preserved scheme as I find the original TGR red and cream a bit bright for my tastes. But consensus seems like its close enough which is good enough for me. I've always had a bit of a poor eye for colours so thats reassuring at least.

Hopefully I shouldnt be too far off completion by the end of the weekend.
Jake

Melbournesparks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Melbournesparks » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:34 am

Late post, but we certainly made it to the GSSU this year to make sure 1:24 scale was well represented.

Was it really the Great Southern Steam up though? Can't escape progress! The ESET and NEVR diesel electrics double head on a rather multicultural set of combined passenger stock from both lines.

We did still have steam power just so they'd let us in of course, the steam railcar set is seen here expanded to 7 cars with the NEVR stock. No problem for only one motor car on a dead level line.

Back on the North East Victoria railway the steam railcar set got to visit recently and spend a very pleasant afternoon running up and down the line on the local passenger service. There's been a major deviation to the original alignment since we were last here.

Having taken on water and other steam servicing requirements the train has shunted to the passenger platform at Port Melbourne, ready for the trip up the hill to Myrtleford

The railcar set come to a stop at Badger Creek, one of two intermediate crossing loops on the line.

Departing Badger Creek the driver increases the firing rate of the boiler to match steam production to the power required for the 1:30 grade. The new alignment is much improved in gradient and curve radius though and the railcar set will make short work of the climb up to the next crossing loop.

This interesting unit is visiting from another line, but admittedly has spent the past few weeks lurking up the back of the ESET depot waiting on some mechanical work. It got a bit of a run today though and managed reasonably well on the gradients.

Yeah so the SP is probably more like 11t axle load. These are more like guidelines though right?

Stuck to not much more than walking speed just to be safe, though the bridges held up.

Made it into Myrtleford, waiting for the DH to finish shunting before setting back out of the platform for the run back down the hill.

Shunting out of the passenger platform on to the main line. Having a cab at both ends of your train has some major advantages.

The railcar set cautiously crosses a section of temporary shoring. The boiler and water tank add a decent amount of weight to this unit and track has been known to subside underneath it!

Passing the Port Melbourne home signal. It's not unusual to be held here to wait for a clear platform at this busy passenger and goods location, but clear run this trip.

A decently long goods train crosses the bridge on the new alignment.

Followed shortly after by the railcar set, which will overtake the goods train at the next loop.

Overtaking the goods train at the new crossing loop. The new much longer loop greatly increases operational flexibility allowing even moderately high frequency passenger trains to operate in among the goods traffic.

Passing the mine sidings on the way to Myrtelford.

Ready for departure, the guard at this end of the train will direct the driver to set back out of the platform on to the main line in the foreground.

Back at Port Melbourne, arriving in the other platform this time. The railcar crew have the set configured with the boiler in the middle of the train. Slightly less convenient for the conductor who has to walk through the hot boiler room to check tickets, but lets the driver drive from the cool end in both directions on this summer day.

The set has shunted to the yard to take water, then back to the other platform ready for departure.

Crossing the new bridge on the new alignment.

On the last trip of the day a NEVR car is attached to the train for positioning.

The NEVR car will be dropped off here, then the railcar set will go home to stable after a busy day and many kilometres of passenger service.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:51 am

That's a mighty fine looking railcar set.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:15 am

Some brilliant photos there. I do like the filling up of water photo. It looked real when I first saw it.

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:19 am

Its been a fun summer running season. Although its rained much more then usual which has really put the brakes on a lot of the infrastructure work I'd planned. won't be long before we're back into dark and cold winter and that'll be that for another 6 months :roll:
Jake

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:06 am

With winter looming over us and work picking up in hours advantage has been taken in using the track a lot more at night time. So the DE was recently fitted with headlights and step lights for the crews safety.
333406370_536821715293319_6472437917782455844_n.jpg
333406370_536821715293319_6472437917782455844_n.jpg (208.09 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
The DE seen here waiting for its next assignment. As its fitted with dynamic brakes its regular assignment is the mine run but its days in the sun will be soon over as its replaced by larger 6 axle power...

Following some excellent high frequency performances by the visiting Sentinel steam rail motor it as again put in perspective for management how a reliable diesel railcar could revolutionise passenger services on the line and so a concerted effort was made to finish the articulated DP

The Tasmanian government railways had a long history of using different varieties of railcars dating back to 1912 but are perhaps best known for the variety of different railcars from Commonwealth engineering which used power bogies from Drewery car company. Built from 1939 onwards They came in a variety of sizes and they and their matching PT trailers were a common sight around Hobart. I will confess I don't know much about how they were used but I believe they were designed to run in multiple car sets (DP, PT, PT, DP) in suburban service and I believe there were even a pair of trailers that had mail/baggage handling facilities. DP26-30 were the last ordered and were of a larger articulated design originally for use on the "Tasman Limited" They were replaced on those duties by loco hauled services and passenger cars to a similar design. Following a long and successful service life they were disposed of. Quite a few of the original single car DP's are preserved around the country and of the 5 Articulated units 3 are preserved. 26 at TTMS in Hobart and 28/29 at Queenscliff In Victoria

My model is based on Leon Kernans models available off thingiverse with some extensive "digital kitbashing" required. I cut the body of the regular DP available here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4401047 to the correct number of windows and end for the "trailer" end of the car and then rearranged the model of DP 13 available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4401047 to get the other end correct. Its not perfect and I'm sure length wise its not quite right but I'm happy with it. Alexander (Melbournesparks) Produced the power bogie for me using his usual method of axle hung traction motors the same as on his W class tram. At the moment it only has two axles powered but I will power the middle bogie to assist it with climbing my 1:30 grades. It currently has Deltang RC fitted as is standard with everything I run. This one will never get sound but I'll finish the interior and fix the windows once I finish my current program of passenger carriage printing.
333636573_538880338107088_6906304744572350856_n.jpg
333636573_538880338107088_6906304744572350856_n.jpg (349.86 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
On a test run rolling down the hill from Marysville
331815691_909021980326207_3894192473916384185_n.jpg
331815691_909021980326207_3894192473916384185_n.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
Stabled at Port Melbourne. Seems the port sheds have finally been demolished since we were last here.
331948285_1322730868508129_3530843703419546192_n.jpg
331948285_1322730868508129_3530843703419546192_n.jpg (189.02 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
Now fitted with lights. There is nothing more on this earth that I despise more then wiring other then finding my grease gun has an empty cartridge. So when I started wiring lights into the DE I figured I should strike while the iron was hot. Literally. As there's no interior I didn't fit any lights inside it yet but that will happen at some point.

That concludes this months rollingstock happenings.
Jake

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:03 am

Quite like that railmotor, it's got a ton of character already. Never thought I'd say this (here in Aust) but it has been a weirdly short and cool Summer, hasn't it..

I recognise the paint on those points in the last shot.. :lol:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:10 am

Very smart looking railcar :thumbright:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:31 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:03 am Quite like that railmotor, it's got a ton of character already. Never thought I'd say this (here in Aust) but it has been a weirdly short and cool Summer, hasn't it..

I recognise the paint on those points in the last shot.. :lol:
I was wondering if anyone would notice the points had changed :lol: The old aristo points had excessive wear on the check rails and frogs so everything would derail when propelling into a siding. Absolutely not ideal when its the main yard on your line. The Peco track is fantastic and the smaller rail height makes a huge difference. thanks for the opportunity to upgrade!
Jake

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:07 am

Tropic Blunder wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:31 am

I was wondering if anyone would notice the points had changed :lol: The old aristo points had excessive wear on the check rails and frogs so everything would derail when propelling into a siding. Absolutely not ideal when its the main yard on your line. The Peco track is fantastic and the smaller rail height makes a huge difference. thanks for the opportunity to upgrade!

Yeah, that might be an issue! Did you get the Aristo used, or did you wear 'em out? :lol:

Thanks for taking the Pecos off my hands. Wish I could've put the money straight into 32mm replacements, but if memory serves, I think you ended up paying for my car's wheels being blasted and painted. :roll:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:33 pm

Nice.

StuartJ
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by StuartJ » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:16 pm

Very nice work on the railcar. Instantly recognisable.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:40 am

That railcar is very smart, and strangely familiar - in memory, it might even have been from one of the Ladybird travel books (Peter & Susan? freeload on Dad's business trips :lol: )
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Fri May 05, 2023 6:05 am

Evening all. Few pics from running last week. I've managed to finish ballasting Marysville now but am still seriously slacking in the buildings department. These will be the last for a while as I'm travelling to the UK today for a few weeks. Hoping to see some cool things and maybe come home with a full suitcase when we attend Llangollen garden railway festival :lol:

ImageDE at Badger Creek by Jake GP, on Flickr

ImageThe Northeaster by Jake GP, on Flickr

ImageDP at Marysville by Jake GP, on Flickr

ImageDE at Marysville by Jake GP, on Flickr

ImageDH at Badger Creek by Jake GP, on Flickr

ImageCross at Marysville by Jake GP, on Flickr

ImageMarysville ore train by Jake GP, on Flickr

ImagePort Melbourne by Jake GP, on Flickr
Jake

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 05, 2023 6:19 am

Nice train that.

Have a great holiday and hope you can get some bargains at the show. I did last year, you will really enjoy it. One tip though, get there early for parking, there is loads of parking but some of it is on grass and unfortunately its forecast rain... :|