The DVLR's environs

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

The DVLR's environs

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Thought I'd post some pictures of the garden around the DVLR. Its all a tiny courtyard with high walls, the DVLR itself takes up an L shaped flowerbed. The rest is out of bounds (if I do build anywhere outside of the flowerbeds or my shed it has to be removable) My parents shingled the garden whilst I was away (not very practical for tidying but it certainly brightens the garden up.) The flowers are looking rather good at the moment so I thought I would share them...
"Shady corner"
wall detritus
Floor flotsam
The pond is a tin bath and is responsible for any running water noises in my videos. The irises are just going past their best
Every surface and corner has to be made use of like on the railway as the space is so small, here's the bathroom window box and a haning pot of fuchsia
Next to the shed
In front of the flower beds are more pots of plants!
The tallness of the walls can be appreciated, River Butley included for scale...
Finally the gem of the garden, a "deep secret" rose which has the most marvelously scented flowers of deep red.
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Beautiful and inspirational - thanks for that!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Beautifully tended personal space! Walled gardens are so private and secluded. It's amazing what you can fit into limited space with a little imagination...

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Thank you for the complements, I'll pass them on to the domestic Authorities. Creativity within confinement has always been a working principle with this garden, I enjoy it (but would prefer a larger garden all the same).
(to build)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Having seen the pictures you've posted "elsewhere", the garden might be nice but the railway has suffered.................
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Lovely garden, "quite arty Wot!" Now hows about upper DVLR? see the mineral product mined above, can be shot down to the line below giving it a reason. New Bridges can lift for the doors and it can be a simple high level shelf! On the mineral shoots/hoppers the scented Jasmine can climb up, a small section can have ornaments on it (but only a small section out of scale) "tell the missus! It will all look lovely Steamie1 says so." She'll be fine!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 pm

steamie1:85296 wrote: Now hows about  upper DVLR?
:D The DVLR started life as a "shelf layout" - it took Zach ages to get it down to ground level! ;)

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Yup, it all started out up at high level, (I still miss the simplicity of the shelves) (See "Chronicles of the DVLR")
As for "tell the Mrs"... I'm 19, the domestic Authorities refers to Mum!
As for "giving the line a purpose" I need to make up some sort of proper document giving the lines history but the back line goes to a coprolite quarry, then there's malt and vinegar from the maltings at Snape St, fertelizer, fish and bricks from aldeburgh, grain and boat bits from Woodbridge, then all the cattle, sheep, tractors, coal, ballast, perishables and passengers from everywhere else. Of course I'd love to extend the line but there isn't enough space.
(to build)

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Sorry for the blooper with Mum and your ways have you as older for us who can't see you. Love the garden and the line. keep it up. I'm now going to do some DVLR homework.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Well being a Dvlr fan now (I love the way you squash atmosphere in a small space) can I request another story telling video. My young son loves them. I think you could show case these to have a career in TV production/model making/childs programmes the lot.