Mumbles Railway.

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Mumbles Railway.

Post by Enginehouse » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 am

The on off on off Mumbles Railway (yet again) now back on the distant horizon.

According to the South Wales Evening Post (Wednesday), a bid by a local Amman Valley railway society, well funded it appears and backed by at least one assembly member, has been made to provide a light railway system in the local area, the first section being the (of course) reinstatement of the Mumbles/Swansea railway. Foreign finance backed (of course).

No doubt a planning application for a brand new Welsh Talking Shop will soon be funded and progressed which will spend at least the next ten years discussing nothing much of any import - but of course the members expenses will be good.
Cheers

Roy H

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I live in West Wales and visit Mumbles regularly. The area is a desirable place to both live and to spend time on holiday. The trackbed still remains along the sea front and road traffic is too heavy with car parking next to impossible!

What more does it take to convince the powers that reinstatement of the Tramway is not only desirable, but essential!

Tourism would certainly pay its way, along with commuters from Mumbles to Swansea.

Talking over!!!

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Enginehouse » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I was brought up on The Gower and actually rode on the Mumbles railway on quite a few occasions as a youngster. We still spend over half the year on the peninsula, run a business there and actually regard Gower as home.

I have lost count over the years, of the number of times the plan to restore the railway has been raised and has then failed dismally to gather any real support. I take your point regarding traffic and accessibility to both Mumbles and Gower. It's a disgrace. Unfortunately I am of the opinion that so long as any attempt to rectify the situation is controlled by the same level of unbridled greed, which of course led to the demise of the railway in the first place, we will see no changes. Just the usual waffling and prevarication from SCC and the Welsh Office. So long as the council and private landowners can rip off visitors for parking, there is no chance of a new Mumbles railway.
Cheers

Roy H