The Kent & East Sussex Light Railwsy?

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

The Kent & East Sussex Light Railwsy?

Post by Mrs F Controller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Hope to visit the K&ES at the end of April as having to go to a conference for work ( :| ) down that way the next day (Sunday)! Just wondering if you think it's worth a visit as we will have to find somewhere to stay on the Saturday night :lol: to do it can't do it all in I've day! Also can anyone recommend anywhere to stay between Tenterden and Godmersham?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Lots of pretty little B & B's down there. Never stayed in any myself
as it's so close to home. A friend of mine who has a camper van sometimes stays in the parking field for the K&ESR. Think they charge something silly like £5 or £10 but the facillities are pretty basic!

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Hmm think my camping days are over lol! Besides we can't get the caravan out of the garden! But its worth a visit you think? Been googling pubs and hotels and mist are booked! What's going on down there? Can't be that many opticians going to the conference! 8)

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:50 pm

To be honest, the countryside isn't up to much BUT if you like the sound of engines working hard it can't be beat when the engines are working up the bank from Rolvenden to Tenterden ;)

In all honesty, it's the only railway I know that has retained the light railway feel and it is very much how Colonel Stephens had it. The only difference being that the ride on the track is probably better and the use of Mk. 1's ;)

Not forgetting the castle at Bodiam which is also worth a visit :)

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Well at least its an honest answer! I am not a welshfile anyway so I thought it looked interesting. Plus I want some ideas for the MPLR! Might find a reason to leave the conference at lunchtime and go for the afternoon! :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello!

I LOVE the K&ESR! I volunteered there as a teenager in the 90s and haven't been back in far too long.

I think the countryside's great, a lovely combination of rolling hills and flood plains, and very rural - and you really get the sense of it being a true light railway, not just because of the quaint stations and stock, but because of the way it follows contours and gets away with minimal earthworks. Blasting up Tenterden Bank's great, but so's rolling along by one of the rivers, watching out for herons and all that sort of thing.

Personally I'd have a look at the timetable and travel at least one way in the vintage rake if possible for a real taste of the old KESR - wooden bodied compartment carriages and characterful little locos. You could make a day of it! Bodiam Castle's an easy walk from the station, and the Colonel Stephens museum at Tenterden's worth a look. Plus Tenterden high street, if you're into quaint shops etc...

So that's definite yes from me - especially if you take some photos!

Enjoy,

Andrew.

PS This will explain the charm of the KESR better than I can... http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/lig ... train.html

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm

I would have thought you could pick up a hotel room around Ashford. There are premier inns and Travelodges in the area. There are also a couple of pubs in Wye. Although I haven't been for a few years the New Flying Horse Inn used to do very good food. Although its a bit more of a drive there are sometimes surprisingly good offers on rooms in the Canterbury area. The KESR is a fantastic place and a visit to the Colonel Stevens Museum http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/ on the other side of the track from Tenterden Town Station is always of interest.

Barry
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Oh yes, worth a visit, I usually go on the gala weekend, very busy then, I really like it down there.

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 am

I'd recommend looking at what's on offer in Canterbury - if you do end up stopping in Canters we could meet up for a pint (can recommend nice pubs too)

There are plenty of B&Bs around in the area: nothing in Godmersham though - Chilham is pricey.

KESR is a nice line - well worth the ride if you're in the area.

You might be able to pick up somewhere in Ashford, but if you could choose between Ashford and Canterbury, I'd go for Canters. The only nice thing about Ashford town centre is the ring of 10 in the parish church.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for all the advice. Yes been looking at Canterbury and Ashford. Trouble is either already booked or out of my price range. Think probably going to go for the day another time now as suddenly realised the same Saturday as the AGM and keep promising myself to go there this year. Will have to just get up early to get to godmersham by 9.00!

You'd think I could spell railway properly wouldn't you!

LlanpwllBrynwyn
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by LlanpwllBrynwyn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi there,  we were in the area a couple of weekends ago.  Picked up a room on laterooms.com at a place called The Lodge at Winchelsea.  Was really nice there, only around a 15-20min drive to Tenterden.  Hoping to pop down to the railway myself Easter weekend, only live in North Kent so its doable from home...
Mr T. Edwards

Director of the Ffestfordd Railway Company

www.youtube.com/user/HurricaneTich

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 am

Let's get this right - you've got a conference at Godmersham.

Where? There's nothing there apart from the church.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:41 am

The Association of British Dispensing Opticians College at Godmersham Park! Every year I have to achieve so many points towards my Continuing Education and Training so that I can keep registered with the General Optical Council and pay £500 a year for the privilege!! This year they have changed the rules and instead if achieving this 'text' based now we have to do half of it 'interactive' and that's what it's all about it does enough of those points for the next 3 years and its FREE!