BBC Four - The Golden Age of Steam Railways

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

BBC Four - The Golden Age of Steam Railways

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 pm

BBC wrote:Two-part documentary telling the remarkable story of a band of visionaries who rescued some of the little narrow gauge railways that once served Britain's industries. These small railways and the steam engines that ran on them were once the driving force of Britain's mines, quarries, factories and docks. Then, as they disappeared after 1945, volunteers set to work to bring the lines and the steam engines back to life and started a movement which spread throughout the world. Their home movies tell the story of how they helped millions reconnect with a past they thought had gone forever. Narrator: Jenny Agutter
Small is Beautiful, Mon 10 Dec 2012, 21:00, BBC Four.

Chris Cairns.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Brilliant programme recording the efforts by volunteers to preserve these railways for the future. They all deserve medals.
I remember meeting Teddy Boston and riding behind Pixie in the Rectory Garden. No health and safety nonsense then!!!
Looking forward to the next.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Sadly I never managed a visit to the Cadeby Light Railway before it closed.

Some great archive footage was shown.

Chris Cairns.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 pm

I was lucky enough to visit at least twice - it was something entirely different ot today's "preserved railways". I can see why some FR volunteers didn't like Alan Garraway - he sounds just like an army officer, and appears to have treated volunteers like squaddies!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm

I learnt a lot from that. When is the next part?

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 pm

What a programme this was very informative and narrated by miss red peticoat herself Jenny Agutter. An excellent production that beats the Festiniog Story vols one and two hands down with some archive footage seen public for the first time. Most excellent and a sought after dvd when it comes out. Cadeby is only a few miles from me and it is very much missed as I was a frequent visitor there. Rev Teddy Boston was a wonderful bloke and steam and oil was in his blood and Audrey a fine lady always down the chippy right til the last days of the railway. I guess this railway will never be restored but if the house became vacant again by a railway buff then Id be first to volunteer. Happy times!