Help needed - Ffestiniog Ffotos

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Help needed - Ffestiniog Ffotos

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:18 am

Can anyone help me identify the locations (and possibly the locos and stock) from either of these photos taken (I assume) on the Ffestiniog (or possibly WHR??)?
I'm scanning photos for the NGRS and have to try and give as much info about each photo as I can - but I can't identify these locations.
NGRS Collection 3 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie loco with passenger train in cutting.jpg
NGRS Collection 3 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie loco with passenger train in cutting.jpg (672.03 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
NGRS Collection 3 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie loco with passenger train in distance passing lake.jpg
NGRS Collection 3 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie loco with passenger train in distance passing lake.jpg (486.17 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Thanks in advance

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Re: Help needed - Ffestiniog Ffotos

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:21 am

Hi Rik,

I'm no Ffestiniog expert, but was feeling quite pleased with myself for having recognised the first picture as being the approach to Tan-y-Bwlch from the Porthmadog direction, and the second, after some head scratching, as being Dduallt, with James Spooner hauling the train, idenifiable by the stovepipe chimneys. I've never seen a photo of that (very lovely) view before, so thank you!

Anyway, as I said, I was feeling please with myself, and then found that everything I'd spotted an more is readily available on the FR's ibase photo database!

See http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... XRvaijMI2w and http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... kgiaijMI2w

There's more about the original Dduallt station, including a trackplan, here: https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Dduallt. It also mentions the legend that if you spend the night there you awake either a madman or a poet - funnily enough, I've often thought it would be fun to alight from the last train of the day there with a tent, and set up camp in the middle of the spiral...

I hope that's useful!

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:55 am

Very! Thanks Andrew. I had a feeling it was Dduallt, but didn't recognise the station building. I couldn't place the Tan-y- Bwlch approach at all.

I can't make the first link work, the second is ok though

Rik
PS Thanks for the links to the photo archive. Extremely useful! A mine of info
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:42 pm

Glad it was helpful. I agree, the FR's ibase is brilliant. Some photos are more fully captioned than others, but they often put out calls for more information on the Ffestiniog Insider FB page.

Try this link to replace the one that didn't work: http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... cAtug/3228

That one's got a pretty full caption.

To fill in some of the details on the Dduallt one, as far as I can work out, behind the loco you've got Van 4 or 5, then carriages 15 and 16 (judging by the lack of windows in the end compartments), then an open Small Birmingham/"Bug Box" (Number 1 or 2), "Flying Bench" 12 or 13 (I'd guess the latter, can't see evidence of 12's padded first class seats), and a third class Small Birmingham (3, 4, 5 or 6). Festipedia puts the date as 1887 or 1888, and who am I to argue?!