A visit from Dennis

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

A visit from Dennis

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Dennis dropped by overnight and left his mark. We managed to get through Storm Ciara with nothing more than a few branches down, however, Dennis had more to offer and dropped huge amounts of water causing our stream to swell, also the wind was more powerful and persistent and has brought down one of my favourite conifers.....
IMG_7013.JPG
IMG_7013.JPG (190.22 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
Branches have been broken....
IMG_7015.JPG
IMG_7015.JPG (210.62 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
and two more trees have been blown loose resulting in them having to be taken down when the weather improves....
IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_7014.JPG (193.67 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7016.JPG (195.34 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
And we are told to expect more storms!
Nowhere near as serious as the devastation caused in the North and I feel for them having to go through the clean-up yet again. One of our near neighbours has had running water through her kitchen though.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: A visit from Dennis

Post by dewintondave » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:15 am

Very stormy Peter! Over here it's full-on drought - 40 days no rain :D
Best wishes,
Dave

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 am

Shame about the trees Peter they seem to be the first casualty in high winds. Do you have any big trees near the house?
We all seem to be experiencing weather extremes no matter what part of the world we are in.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:39 am

Grant, there are still a number of trees near to the house but not close enough to be a problem. However, despite my reluctance to cut trees down, we had to take down several where the roots had been exposed by drainage channels and soil erosion.
They do make good firewood though, nothing wasted here!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi Peter,

It's quite sad when part of the environment you really appreciate is damaged, even when it's the elements that do it. At least you're safe and sound - and will be warm when that firewood has dried out!

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:10 am

Sorry to hear about your trees Peter. We have our own problems with storms. We get shrubs so shaken about by the winds that the roots get loosened. Even small plants need staking. Plus the fence between us and the neighbours needs fixing.He hhas tiles off and we have to re-fix the edpm along the edge of the pitched roof where it lifted.
Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:22 am

Nasty that Peter and very upsetting to lose one of your'e favourite trees. Trees are always the first to go in storms, yet without them it would be a very different world. Unfortunately we don't have any in our garden now, but I have brought our small apple tree from our old address.

We haven't had much here fortunately, but the winds have been very strong. It's all this blooming rain we are having here. It's stopped the son-in-law laying the flags in the garden, so consequently we also can't get out to do anything with the start of our new line...The lawn is like a bog at the moment. Can't wait to get the sun shinning again, when ever that will be...
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:16 am

Hello Peter
Sorry to see those trees down. We also have some high winds last week and full storm in the mountains with roads and railways closed due to extreme snowconditions.
Our garden have 15 big pine trees - all of them about 75 ft tall. Im always a bit worried in the morning when inspecting my garden railway to see if some big branches have caused some damage to the railway.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)