My favourite TV moment...

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

My favourite TV moment...

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm not at all impressed with today's so called 'comedians', particularly as they are now constrained by what they are allowed to say so not to be interpreted by delicate 'snowflakes' as being insulting to anyone, anywhere!
Attached is my all-time favourite TV moment from the American soap, 'Soap!' This is now some 20 ish years old but is the only thing on TV which still makes me laugh out-loud. Watch carefully the expression on Mary's face as she looks incredulously at Burt. Also, Danny, who is convinced it is real!
I hope you all enjoy my magic moment and have one to share too.......

https://youtu.be/hYxy_wDNyxA
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Re: My favourite TV moment...

Post by philipy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:56 pm

Sorry Peter, I've never come across that programme before but like all American so-called humour, it just makes me cringe. I'm with you on most modern comedy though, there has been little to laugh at since about the end of Dinner Ladies.
As for my favourite sketch, it's a toss up between The Two Ronnies "Four Candles" and Monty Python's "Dead Parrot Sketch".
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:37 pm

If you enjoyed BBC's Blackadder in the day then I would recommend 'Upstart Crow' which like the Blackadder shows are written by Ben Elton.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:40 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm I'm not at all impressed with today's so called 'comedians', particularly as they are now constrained by what they are allowed to say so not to be interpreted by delicate 'snowflakes' as being insulting to anyone, anywhere!
Attached is my all-time favourite TV moment from the American soap, 'Soap!' This is now some 20 ish years old but is the only thing on TV which still makes me laugh out-loud. Watch carefully the expression on Mary's face as she looks incredulously at Burt. Also, Danny, who is convinced it is real!
I hope you all enjoy my magic moment and have one to share too.......

https://youtu.be/hYxy_wDNyxA
A bit optimistic on the timeline Peter - Soap was late 70's! 8) but I agree it was very amusing for it's ridiculous storylines :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:15 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:40 pm

A bit optimistic on the timeline Peter - Soap was late 70's! 8) but I agree it was very amusing for it's ridiculous storylines :thumbup:
Late 70's was it? Wow!!!!..... That makes a happy man feel very old.
I see that the actress who played Jessica Tate in the series died in 2019.... they all played great parts and it has clearly left an impression on me.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 am

In agree Peter. Todays so called comedians are rubbish. They either all shout very loudly at the audience or are absurdly ignorant to the fact that they are not funny.

I love most of the old comedy programmes. Only Fools and Horses with Del Boy falling down between the bar top was just utterly brilliant. The Vicar of Dibley with the brilliant, Dawn French.There are others, but they would take up to much on here to mention.

I did watch Soap and Lonsdaler is correct about the ridicules story lines, brilliant I thought. As was the British stuff, John Cleese beating the car...
Well funny for me....

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:51 pm

I did enjoy that Peter. We used to watch Soap at one time but hadn't seen that one.
I do rather like the Ardman Animations Wallace and Grommett and Saun the Sheep very funny and top knotch modelling to boot.

Don