Internet "forums" are a thing of the past

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Internet "forums" are a thing of the past

Post by ge_rik » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:17 pm
TonyW wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm ........ I am puzzled as to why it needs to move anywhere other than where it is already.
Tom is not only the forum administrator, he also hosts the forum on his own server(s). This keeps costs to a minimum, but also means he has all the techie hassle of keeping the forum running smoothly, such as regularly backing up and restoring the data, protecting it against spam, phishing and hacking attacks (which I believe is virtually a 24/7 job these days), plus all the day to day maintenance. He's reached the stage where he no longer wants to carry on with what is often a thankless and unseen chunk of his life. The fact that so far we've had only one person with sufficient know-how offering to take over but declining when he saw the scale of commitment. There are a couple of further alternatives being explored, but both involve losing the archive of existing material plus there will be cost or functionality implications.

Rik
Just seen Tom's message on the other thread. Sorry, I was under the impression that he was using his own servers. It seems we're actually using the paid-for service TSOHOST and so a handover is quite feasible and relatively painless. This seems to contradict some of the previous information which has been floating about.

It will still involve us in having to raise funds to pay for the continuation of hosting. I hadn't realised that past fund raising was sufficient to cover this for the time the forum has been up and running. Clearly, I am not as informed as I thought I was..... :?

My apologies for any confusion. If it's any consolation, I am just as confused...... :scratch:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube