What a good idea:

BBC News - The real model army helping veterans with mental health issues
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46309661

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: PTSD help through models

Post by Keith S » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Building models can be quite cathartic, providing one does not get frustrated. I try to build only working models- steam trains and aeroplanes- but once I tried to build a static model of a DC-3, it was supposed to be a lovely, highly detailed model with aluminium skin and all the proper controls in the cockpit. It was framed up with a combination plastic and laser-cut scale frame over which one was supposed to attach the aluminium panels.

Unfortunately, someone from work gave me an epoxy-based zinc chromate primer to paint the framework, which was expired and did not set properly. After waiting more than the recommended amount of time, I picked it up and got green strands of half-cured epoxy all over everything. The more I tried to wipe it off the worse it got. Ultimately I lost my temper and ended up stamping on the entire thing and binning it. Since then I have been a lot more humble about my model-building prowess.

That particular experience was anything but relaxing.

P.S. I should mention I don't have PTSD... at least I don't think I do.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm

A brilliant idea, although I've also found modelling can get immensely frustrating when not going to plan (knowing the point to stop and have a break is an extremely useful piece of self awareness). The worst thing I've done is pull all the wires off a DPDT switch I was unsuccessfully trying to solder the connections onto. I managed it all perfectly happily the next day when I'd calmed down, if I'd stopped once I started getting frustration I wouldn't have had to redo a lot of the work...!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 pm

I think it's also a great idea, but can't it also involve people who have other modelling interests. Like ours for instance. There are also people who have kits that have been on shelfs for years and they can't or don't have an interest in it anymore.

Or just start a club with like minded modellers at a venue of choosing. When I was waiting for the consultants and doctors to find out what was wrong with my heart (10 months) all told from starting with chest pains and having my double bypass, I only had the usual TV and I can tell you it was worse than waiting for the operation. My mind was gone, I lost all interest in doing anything. Luckily, after my second attack after the op, I decided to find a hobby and the rest is history. I still get depressed some days when it all gets too much, but again I turn to the forum and the friends on here I have made and off I go to the model room, to do a bit more.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 pm

I find making models extremely relaxing. It's good for the soul .i can spend a howl evening with the radio on and lose myself in making a model I don't have to answer any e mails or phone calls asking me to fix any problems. For a few hours if desconected from the whole world and in a world making a small or sometimes not so small building to sit out in my garden .i spend most of my day building very nice neat clean offices houses etc for other people. that's why I'm building my railway to look old used and tired. I was recently on my local radio talking about how building models is good for you and quite relaxing

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:59 pm

That's good news to hear your talent was appreciated and you were given exposure on local radio. How did that come about?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?