Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Big Jim

Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:11 pm

I am glad that no one was hurt.

However it appears that another wally failed to heed the warning lights.

This is why the UK needs a "Being B@@@dy Stupid Act"
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 am

We had a "Stupid Motorist Law" in Arizona. Basically, if you put yourself in harm's way you footed the bill for getting rescued. The AZ state legislature finally got sick of paying for rescuing tourists who ignore 'Do Not Enter' signs at flooded fords - etc., etc. - and decided that the AZ taxpayer didn't need to foot the bill.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:18 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 am We had a "Stupid Motorist Law" in Arizona. Basically, if you put yourself in harm's way you footed the bill for getting rescued. The AZ state legislature finally got sick of paying for rescuing tourists who ignore 'Do Not Enter' signs at flooded fords - etc., etc. - and decided that the AZ taxpayer didn't need to foot the bill.

Peter in Va
I do like that.

Wobbly Wheel
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Wobbly Wheel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 pm

The BBC says a 'Steam Engine hit a car' - how come the car is still between the warning posts and half way along the engine?

They also say the '........... locomotive ploughed into the silver Mercedes', at 7mph, I beg to differ but the picture suggests the 'Merc' ploughed into the train!

All this, at a time when the BBC is prattling on about 'Fake News' - perhaps a member of the Board of Governors plays golf at Holt.

Steve
I tried to be patient, but it took too long!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 pm

:scratch:

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 am

The engine was travelling tender first towards Sheringham. Its hit the car then dragged it into the marker post. Assuming the warnings were working correctly, the car driver is clearly at fault.
Perhaps he saw the back of the engine, and thought it had already gone through the crossing, and so 'jumped the lights'?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am

Wobbly Wheel wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 pm The BBC says a 'Steam Engine hit a car' - how come the car is still between the warning posts and half way along the engine?

They also say the '........... locomotive ploughed into the silver Mercedes', at 7mph, I beg to differ but the picture suggests the 'Merc' ploughed into the train!

All this, at a time when the BBC is prattling on about 'Fake News' - perhaps a member of the Board of Governors plays golf at Holt.

Steve
Very good that Steve about the BBC’s member of the Board of Governors…..I have always said that they spend our license fee on totally irrelevant things….. :lol: :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:48 am

Has for that complete duck egg in the Merc……The policeman is just as bad though…..

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 am The engine was travelling tender first towards Sheringham. Its hit the car then dragged it into the marker post. Assuming the warnings were working correctly, the car driver is clearly at fault.
Perhaps he saw the back of the engine, and thought it had already gone through the crossing, and so 'jumped the lights'?
He would not have lasted long in a car park before the invention of reversing lights. ;) I find that the media always seem to write any story about level crossing incidents from the point of view that nasty trains are hiding behind hedges waiting to leap out at unsuspecting motorists.

Around where I grew up we had a couple of AOCL (roughly, Automatic Open Crossing Lights) crossings which were notorious for near misses mainly because both rail and road traffic was relatively light and folks tended to assume a train wasn't coming even though the lights were working, and there was a big thing with a yellow visibility panel approaching them at 40-45mph. Both eventually acquired supplementary half barriers as a retro fit to the basic AOCL package. Now you only have to contend with idiots on bikes weaving through the barriers. Oddly they have never had much trouble with the local 'slow down and toot' open crossings. Motorists tend to regard those as bandit country and behave.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.