Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Post Reply
Big Jim
Director
Director
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm
Location: Near Llanelli

Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:11 pm

I am glad that no one was hurt.

However it appears that another wally failed to heed the warning lights.

This is why the UK needs a "Being B@@@dy Stupid Act"
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

User avatar
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 am
Location: 'Boro, VA

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 am

We had a "Stupid Motorist Law" in Arizona. Basically, if you put yourself in harm's way you footed the bill for getting rescued. The AZ state legislature finally got sick of paying for rescuing tourists who ignore 'Do Not Enter' signs at flooded fords - etc., etc. - and decided that the AZ taxpayer didn't need to foot the bill.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim
Director
Director
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm
Location: Near Llanelli

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by Big Jim » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:18 pm

IrishPeter wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:14 am
We had a "Stupid Motorist Law" in Arizona. Basically, if you put yourself in harm's way you footed the bill for getting rescued. The AZ state legislature finally got sick of paying for rescuing tourists who ignore 'Do Not Enter' signs at flooded fords - etc., etc. - and decided that the AZ taxpayer didn't need to foot the bill.

Peter in Va
I do like that.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Wobbly Wheel
Cleaner
Cleaner
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by Wobbly Wheel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 pm

The BBC says a 'Steam Engine hit a car' - how come the car is still between the warning posts and half way along the engine?

They also say the '........... locomotive ploughed into the silver Mercedes', at 7mph, I beg to differ but the picture suggests the 'Merc' ploughed into the train!

All this, at a time when the BBC is prattling on about 'Fake News' - perhaps a member of the Board of Governors plays golf at Holt.

Steve
I tried to be patient, but it took too long!

Big Jim
Director
Director
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm
Location: Near Llanelli

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by Big Jim » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 pm

:scratch:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

User avatar
Lonsdaler
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 am

The engine was travelling tender first towards Sheringham. Its hit the car then dragged it into the marker post. Assuming the warnings were working correctly, the car driver is clearly at fault.
Perhaps he saw the back of the engine, and thought it had already gone through the crossing, and so 'jumped the lights'?
Phil

I am not young enough to know everything anymore...

User avatar
FWLR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2085
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am

Wobbly Wheel wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 pm
The BBC says a 'Steam Engine hit a car' - how come the car is still between the warning posts and half way along the engine?

They also say the '........... locomotive ploughed into the silver Mercedes', at 7mph, I beg to differ but the picture suggests the 'Merc' ploughed into the train!

All this, at a time when the BBC is prattling on about 'Fake News' - perhaps a member of the Board of Governors plays golf at Holt.

Steve
Very good that Steve about the BBC’s member of the Board of Governors…..I have always said that they spend our license fee on totally irrelevant things….. :lol: :lol:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

User avatar
FWLR
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2085
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire, UK

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:48 am

Has for that complete duck egg in the Merc……The policeman is just as bad though…..
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

User avatar
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 am
Location: 'Boro, VA

Re: Another level crossing incident on a preserved line

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Lonsdaler wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 am
The engine was travelling tender first towards Sheringham. Its hit the car then dragged it into the marker post. Assuming the warnings were working correctly, the car driver is clearly at fault.
Perhaps he saw the back of the engine, and thought it had already gone through the crossing, and so 'jumped the lights'?
He would not have lasted long in a car park before the invention of reversing lights. ;) I find that the media always seem to write any story about level crossing incidents from the point of view that nasty trains are hiding behind hedges waiting to leap out at unsuspecting motorists.

Around where I grew up we had a couple of AOCL (roughly, Automatic Open Crossing Lights) crossings which were notorious for near misses mainly because both rail and road traffic was relatively light and folks tended to assume a train wasn't coming even though the lights were working, and there was a big thing with a yellow visibility panel approaching them at 40-45mph. Both eventually acquired supplementary half barriers as a retro fit to the basic AOCL package. Now you only have to contend with idiots on bikes weaving through the barriers. Oddly they have never had much trouble with the local 'slow down and toot' open crossings. Motorists tend to regard those as bandit country and behave.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests