Hosting Images with Flickr (and alternatives...)

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Hosting Images with Flickr (and alternatives...)

Post by SimonWood » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks Tom for highlighting the changes at Flickr which will, like those to Photobucket a year or two back, break chunks of the web - and have a big impact on forums. (Forums? Fora...?)

But it's also worth knowing Flickr have made a small change to their original announcement that means they won't delete any photos that are Creative Commons licensed. I believe I've embedded some Flickr photos on here and I think I've got over 1,000 (for some reason my Flickr account won't show the number) but they're CC licensed and will continue to display after the changes. So you don't need to worry about deletion if you uploaded under a CC licence before 1 Nov.

I still won't be able to upload photos unless I pay for Pro, though, so I'm looking at whether that compares well to anything else out there. I like the look of Piwigo as an alternative (€39pa) but haven't taken the plunge yet. Has anyone got any experience and recommendations for photo hosting?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Hosting Images with Flickr (and alternatives...)

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 am

Big Jim brought it to my attention regarding Flickr so we decided to let you all know as we are nice you see :mrgreen:

The forum supports adding pictures to posts so that is always an option for everyone.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 am Big Jim brought it to my attention regarding Flickr so we decided to let you all know as we are nice you see :mrgreen:
You are! :thumbright:
tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 am The forum supports adding pictures to posts so that is always an option for everyone.
And I find that's usually the best way - but I'm still interested in a Flickr alternative for my pics that aren't for Garden Railway Forum related (e.g. pics of 12"/ft NG)

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:27 am

Hi Simon, I use Post Image

Best wishes,
Dave

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for the tip Dave. I do like your hack-saw hack!