Is it me?

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Is it me?

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Am I the only one who finds it vulgar and lacking in respect that companies are advertising 'commerical' Christmas before Armistice Day?

philipy

Re: Is it me?

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Personally I don't see any relationship between those two events, so no I don't think it disrespectful. However I do think it's ridiculous how early Christmas starts in the commercial world, but it's been that way for many years. The trouble is if people want to buy Christmassy junk in October then you can't really blame shops for selling it. It's no different to Easter eggs and hot cross buns on sale at the end of January which I find equally repulsive.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 am

I agree on all counts. But what gets me, is that no matter what you what, they bump up the prices too. Don’t be fooled with the price drops. They have already put the price up, then they advertise it at a lower price.

It’s the same really with our 16mm stuff. Some of the prices they are asking are astronomical…..

Don’t know were I got that word from…. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by FWLR on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 amSome of the prices they are asking are astronomical…..
Who are "they"...?
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I find the whole Christmas "experience" vulgar. There isn't much I like about it except for Christmas pudding.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:06 am

TonyW wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am
FWLR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 amSome of the prices they are asking are astronomical…..
Who are "they"...?
“They" are those that put their prices up just because it’s Christmas…………………….

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm I find the whole Christmas "experience" vulgar. There isn't much I like about it except for Christmas pudding.
And brandy butter. And mince pies. Oh, and bread sauce.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

SimonWood wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:13 pm And brandy butter. And mince pies. Oh, and bread sauce.
I don't get the mince pie love. Too dry for my taste. Mind you, I have only ever been served store bought ones. Just ordered a couple of Christmas puddings from an online store in Germany that sells British goods. Also a case of Scrumpy Jack......

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm
SimonWood wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:13 pm And brandy butter. And mince pies. Oh, and bread sauce.
I don't get the mince pie love. Too dry for my taste. Mind you, I have only ever been served store bought ones.

...... and therein lies the problem! I am not a fruit cake lover at all, particularly mass produced ones, however, the mince pies which Diane makes are in a different league, mainly due to the pastry which is superb. I apologise to those who haven't had the pleasure.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm
I don't get the mince pie love. Too dry for my taste. Mind you, I have only ever been served store bought ones. Just ordered a couple of Christmas puddings from an online store in Germany that sells British goods. Also a case of Scrumpy Jack......
It's not the dryness but the sweetness of the shop pies that is too much for me. Good thing about making your own is you can have them exactly the way you want them. (A bit like garden railways...)

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:52 pm

We don't do mince pies in Denmark. First time I tasted one in UK I was a bit confused because I assumed it would contain mince meat :D

We eat some fairly weird stuff though in the region I'm from. Kale which has been boiled in stock is then fried lightly in a pan and has cream and sugar added. We also eat black pudding with syrup and cinnamon on top. And no traditional Danish Christmas lunch is complete without pickled heerring in a curry sauce.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:52 pm We don't do mince pies in Denmark. First time I tasted one in UK I was a bit confused because I assumed it would contain mince meat :D

We eat some fairly weird stuff though in the region I'm from. Kale which has been boiled in stock is then fried lightly in a pan and has cream and sugar added. We also eat black pudding with syrup and cinnamon on top. And no traditional Danish Christmas lunch is complete without pickled heerring in a curry sauce.
Having spent some time in Denmark I have to say I enjoy Danish cuisine. Black pud with syrup and cinnamon sounds like it is worth trying. Do you boil it or fry it first?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:13 pm

In answer to the original question, I don't find it particularly disrespectful. I do think it is far to early to even think about Christmas though. I am not sure about the argument regarding people buying Christmas stuff so early. If the shops did not sell it, then people would not be buying it.

I have got to a point where I now don't consider the commercial Xmas and the Christian Christmas as the same festival. Bizzare it may be but it keeps me vaguely sane during Advent.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Big Jim wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 pm
Having spent some time in Denmark I have to say I enjoy Danish cuisine. Black pud with syrup and cinnamon sounds like it is worth trying. Do you boil it or fry it first?
We fry it in 1/4" thick slices. Some claim the syrup and cinnamon is to disguise the horrible taste, but I quite like it.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:35 pm

I think I will try this tomorrow, thanks.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:02 am

Big Jim wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:13 pm In answer to the original question, I don't find it particularly disrespectful. I do think it is far to early to even think about Christmas though. I am not sure about the argument regarding people buying Christmas stuff so early. If the shops did not sell it, then people would not be buying it.

I have got to a point where I now don't consider the commercial Xmas and the Christian Christmas as the same festival. Bizzare it may be but it keeps me vaguely sane during Advent.
You are correct Jim in the fact that if the shops didn’t sell people wouldn’t buy it. But there is a big TV and online retailer who started to sell things in June…..Now that is taking the provable.

The commercial Xmas is just that…commercial, and has no idea about the real Christian Christmas. The Christmas Carols are beautiful to hear and the one that gets me is “Silent Night”. Don’t get me wrong I am not a big church goer, but you can have beliefs without having to partake in mass congress. I believe that we all have a part to play in this world and there are things which are truly wonderful, but also truly horrible … Like Christmas starting in JUNE.

Sorry I didn’t want to sound like I was doing a sermon….

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:27 am

I don't know about it starting in June but I remember doing a Rhine cruise many years ago and the boat moored up for a visit where they had a "Christmas Shop" that was open all the year round! I can't remember the name of the town where it was located but it's quite well known and I sure someone on here will know the name. People were buying in my view just because they could not through any particular need which I think is the root of the problem. Personally I will ignore any of the Christmas fare in the shops until I am ready to buy, which presumably means that there are an awful lot of people buying their pressies early.
Phil

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:54 am

Almost forgot - it's also quite common to put apple sauce on the black pudding.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 am

Busted Bricks wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:54 am Almost forgot - it's also quite common to put apple sauce on the black pudding.
Another one to try.

I can report that black pud with syrup is rather pleasant, my local cafe now has another reason to wonder about me.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:47 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:27 am I don't know about it starting in June but I remember doing a Rhine cruise many years ago and the boat moored up for a visit where they had a "Christmas Shop" that was open all the year round! I can't remember the name of the town where it was located but it's quite well known and I sure someone on here will know the name. People were buying in my view just because they could not through any particular need which I think is the root of the problem. Personally I will ignore any of the Christmas fare in the shops until I am ready to buy, which presumably means that there are an awful lot of people buying their pressies early.
It may be in Rudeshiem (other spellings may be available).
I am not sure if the production of glass baubles may be a local craft. I seem to recall a program on the radio about it.