Is it me?

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Is it me?

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:17 pm

When we moved to West Wales some 15 years ago there was a dedicated 'Christmas' shop in Carmarthen. It has closed now but strangely didn't seem out of place at the time as all of the items were of good quality and unusual, not the mass produced tat usually associated with the typical high street pedlars.
I guess that its demise is symptomatic of the demands of the masses.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Big Jim wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 pm Black pud with syrup and cinnamon sounds like it is worth trying.
Ooh, yes! I must go and get myself some black pud. I might try frying kale with cream & sugar too, but I'm not sure I'll be able to persuade the family that curried pickled herring will go well with our turkey...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 pm

As you are near Cardiff I can recommend the butchers on the market (first on the left as you go in). They do some of the best BP I have ever eaten and a thing called Tiger Bay Pudding which is divine.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Big Jim wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 pm As you are near Cardiff I can recommend the butchers on the market (first on the left as you go in). They do some of the best BP I have ever eaten and a thing called Tiger Bay Pudding which is divine.
I think I know the one - going in from the St John's end? - but I haven't had Tiger Bay Pudding! Thanks for the recommendations, I will soon be feasting on pudding.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:55 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:56 pm Am I the only one who finds it vulgar and lacking in respect that companies are advertising 'commerical' Christmas before Armistice Day?
The one break I get living in the USA is that their determination to bombard you with Hallowe'en means you don't get the Christmas tat until about the 3rd November, and even then it is a bit muted as they are ramping up for Black Friday. Strangely I actually cope with the Christmas tat in the stores quite well, because I can employ the selective blindness technique. On the other hand, the bl**dy Christmas Musak drives me nuts as it is either so loud you can't ignore it, or quiet enough that you think "What is that? - Aaaargh!" I am glad I don't work in retail, I would feel like "Going Postal" long before Christmas.

On the other hand, I enjoy the Christmas cycle (Advent-Christmas-Epiphany) in Church a lot, especially with this congregation. Many of the Advent hymns are among my favourites, and there is always something a little bit special about the Christmas Eve Eucharist, and Christmas morning Matins.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:47 am

Big Jim wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 pm As you are near Cardiff I can recommend the butchers on the market (first on the left as you go in). They do some of the best BP I have ever eaten and a thing called Tiger Bay Pudding which is divine.
You need to eat them from the home of Black Pudding Jim…….Bury……. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

They are the best in the world……. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Rod, I have partaken of Bury Black Puddings on many an occasion and indeed they are excellent.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Talk about out of season... Tesco are selling Hot Cross Buns a month before Christmas! :evil: :scratch:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:05 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:45 pm Talk about out of season... Tesco are selling Hot Cross Buns a month before Christmas! :evil: :scratch:
What....... :protest: :protest:

Robert Hammond
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Robert Hammond » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:47 pm

It is not you. I agree absolutely. My family and have been devout active but unworthy Christians throughout our lives, and the commercial advertising around Christmas is saddening. It seems the only organisation which does not advertise Christmas for financial gain is the Church.