Diesel locomotive future

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Diesel locomotive future

Post by JMORG » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 am

With diesel set to be phased out by 2040; what's the general consensus on the future of diesels? Heritage railways will be the most affected by this as they generally require diesels to do the non-revenue stuff such as shunting and PW duties.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Re: Diesel locomotive future

Post by TonyW » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 am

I thought it was only diesel road vehicles that are affected by this ban....?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:50 pm

I can't see how they can stop heritage diesels when diesels will still run on UK pubilic railways after 2040.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Although the main ban is on road vehicles, this will affect the price of diesel in general. Unfortunately the oil companies will likely increase the price for diesel due to the lack of road vehicles using it.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 pm

I would not like to speculate on anything to do with heritage railways that far ahead :D
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:48 am

2040โ€ฆ..May not be here thenโ€ฆ.. :roll: :roll:

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Big Jim wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 pm I would not like to speculate on anything to do with heritage railways that far ahead :D
Ain't that the truth Jim!
FWLR wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:48 am 2040โ€ฆ..May not be here thenโ€ฆ.. :roll: :roll:
That's you and me both by then Rod!

If diesel becomes dearer than coal maybe steam will be back in favour for these duties. When Bluebell was a proper... sorry, all steam.... railway, they built two extensions on coal fired motive power - it was fantastic. Some of the best experiences of steam I've had in heritage have involved non revenue earning jobs, and often when no one else, other than the railwaymen involved, is around to see it!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:52 pm

The FR had to rely on the Ladies and the Earl last winter for Moelwyn tunnel works, they had no available diesel during this time.
Somehow they had no INA, Cricc, Funkey, Uproar or Moel Hebog to haul works trains...
Is Moelwyn ever used for anything other than shuttles? Apparently it's one of the fastest IC locomotives on the FR.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 pm
If diesel becomes dearer than coal maybe steam will be back in favour for these duties. When Bluebell was a proper... sorry, all steam.... railway, they built two extensions on coal fired motive power - it was fantastic. Some of the best experiences of steam I've had in heritage have involved non revenue earning jobs, and often when no one else, other than the railwaymen involved, is around to see it!

Andrew
I remember seeing KESR Austerity No.25 "Northiam" on deputising for a failed diesel on extension ballasting duties in the late 80s - its normally pristine blue livery covered in granite dust, and it looked wonderful...

I guess tractors and other larger machinery will run on diesel for a while yet, so maybe there'll still be a reasonably priced supply? I hope so, I'm surprised how much nostalgia I have for old diesels... I was delighted when a pair of blue class 50s with a matching rake of carriages appeared on the sea wall at Teignmouth when I was there over the summer...

Cheers,

Andrew.