This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Manning Wardle "Yeo" and "Exe" new builds

Post by JMORG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 am

https://national-preservation.com/threa ... d.1209237/

I'll just leave this here...

Good to see the Yeo project is being revived! Wonder if the frames will be used?

Andrew

Re: Manning Wardle "Yeo" and "Exe" new builds

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 am

Exciting, isn't it?

According to Steam Railway, which arrived yesterday, Yeo's old new (?!) frames won't be used - they're 20 years old and have been moved around a lot so may not be in great shape (although surely better than your average Barry wreck?!), plus they're taking advantage of the work done for Lyd and will use those plans for all of the four engines they'll eventually build, meaning that the parts will be identical and interchangeable.

£1.1m seems a bargain for two such lovely locos...

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 am

Shame that the money already spent on Yeo will be wasted but I suppose it'll be cheaper to build fresh rather that bodge.
I suppose economies of scale would help lower the price! I hope they aren't both in Southern colours though, would be nice to see one in the later holly green.
Maybe Taw will be built in "as-delivered" condition(?)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:57 am

Liveries were mentioned in the article but I can't remember what it said - I'll check when I get home...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Got it!

Nothing definite, but one might be in early Southern livery, L&B holly green but with SR number plates on the cabside, and the other "something else"... Furness red? Great Eastern blue??!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 pm

BR blue?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Network Southeast red, white and blue...

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm

I do wonder what will eventually happen to Axe and Issac when the 5 engines are recreated...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:47 pm

JMORG wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm I do wonder what will eventually happen to Axe and Issac when the 5 engines are recreated...
Funny you should ask that - so do Steam Railway...

L&B Chairman, Peter Miles, replies "Well, Axe is not really designed for a long, passenger-carrying railway. However, she may have a useful role to play and we have no plans to dispose of it. Isaac is privately owned and we would hope she will remain on the L&B; it is a very useful engine"

I'm glad to see that he gets in a muddle with the gender of engines too, referring to both of them as both "it" and "she" - I add "he" into the mix if I'm talking about Russell...

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 pm

JMORG wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm I do wonder what will eventually happen to Axe and Issac when the 5 engines are recreated...
The L&B have not normally cared for keeping their cast off engines, see Sid for details... I'd have thought that Axe might be good for Winter trains depending on if it can run at the speeds required and carry enough water, whilst I think Isaac might be a match for the other locos despite nominally being smaller. The Welsh Highland Heritage Railway have found Gelert to be quite a capable engine. I personally think its better looking then an L&B loco as well but that is personal preference...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 pm

I visited the L&B a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the operation. Recreations of the original engines running on the line would certainly be an impressive sight.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:55 am

I visited a few years ago when Isaac only had three carriages to pull. Expertly maintained; seems to be following the FR method of operation in my opinion.
Hopefully with Lyd available as a template, these two engines will be relatively quick to build. I know they're building some components (cylinder blocks for example) in bulk to take into account Taw and Lew when their turn comes.
It seems as though they've already decided on liveries! Yeo will be in the initial Southern green without the huge yellow letters (see L&B measured and drawn; Yeo and Taw were supposedly this colour) and Exe will be in Holly green with red frames; both in later condition. I'm hoping Taw will be in "as built" condition as it would pretty much showcase the history of these engines; from Taw to Lew.