UK weather

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

UK weather

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:31 pm

I fancy a moan about the weather as every time I am off from work it's utter crap and I am stuck indoors which drives me mad!

If I had an integrated garage I don't think I would mind as much but my outdoor 'shack' is not somewhere to be when it's cold and wet.

Bring on summer!

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: UK weather

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi Tom,

I do know what you mean. I took advantage of a rare glimpse of sun to dash down to the allotment at the crack of dawn this morning. I managed to get about half the remaining winter digging done - but I had to work off a plank, and even them I ended up with 'moon boots'. A family visit meant that it was a short burst of activity - and now it's raining again. I daren't set foot on the house garden yet to recommence railway construction, it's far too soft.

What might help your plight is a nice little wood burning stove to make the 'outdoor facilities' a little more welcoming - just a thought! :sunny:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:01 pm

I know the feeling. :| I've had a complete new station waiting to go out for months but there is never enough time between the rain, the snow and the gales. Looking at the forecast its a least a week on Sunday before we are due a day without rain, and I ain't holding my breathe about that either!
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:08 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:01 pm I know the feeling. :| I've had a complete new station waiting to go out for months but there is never enough time between the rain, the snow and the gales. Looking at the forecast its a least a week on Sunday before we are due a day without rain, and I ain't holding my breathe about that either!
Phil,

I'm not sure if you are fairing worse than the rest of us this year. I had to go down to Bedford Maintenance Depot for a meeting yesterday. It seemed to be very waterlogged south of Kettering.

We could do with a few dry days together to firm up (and warm up) the ground. It will improve eventually I guess. Patience is a virtue :? (but does nothing for garden or railway progress!). :cry:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:20 pm

It is a rare event for a Bank Holiday in West Wales to be dry but today has been quite nice. No rain here at all today but things can change rapidly.
The ground has started to dry out so the dogs don't bring mud in after their walks.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:24 pm

It has rained all day where I live and it's going to carry on all night.

I don't think the ground here has recovered from all the rain last year so even a few days of dry weather makes no difference.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Just put a meter of fresh ballast down soaked in SBR and the heavens opened.
Regards Graham.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear that Graham, if your SBR has been diluted I fear it will not do its work. I always cover mine with plastic sheet and leave it for a week or more (if possible).

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:29 pm

It might be ok. It was going blue just before it rained. I did manage to cover it but it had gone white by then. When I checked after the rain had stopped it was blue again.
Regards Graham.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:30 am

Well at least there won’t be a water shortage d’south, then we can keep our water up here…. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:00 am

Wet here too but played airfix kits, making bodies for some 4mm slurry tank conversions. Too blinking cold for Easter and very soggy in a garden with clay soil.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:03 am

Soggy in my clay soil garden too Derek, but at least I now have decent room in the shed, so may well be in there over Easter. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 am

Normal service has resumed here in West Wales... it's raining!
Being Easter time we expect a large number of tourists taking advantage of the first Bank Holiday weekend so I do hope it improves for them. Our model club will be putting on an exhibition at the National Botanic Garden of Wales, which naturally has most of its main interest outdoors. However, it does boast the largest single span glasshouse in the world which will provide shelter if it rains heavily. We will be housed in a restored country house on site where we are commemorating 100 years of the RAF. Many of our members are aircraft or military modellers so have much to display, for my part I have no models to show but as my Father was in 17 Squadron RAF in India, Burma and Ceylon 1941 - 43, I have many photographs and memorabilia to give a more personal touch and put faces, places and some historical context.
We are there for two days, Sunday and Monday, just in case you are passing!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:24 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 am
We are there for two days, Sunday and Monday, just in case you are passing!
It may have escaped your notice Peter, but very few people actually "just pass" your part of the world! :P :lol:

Seriously though, it sounds like a good event and I wish it was close enough to be just passing, hope it goes well for you and all concerned.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 am

Nice plug Peter but Wales would be the last place I would want to go as it rains even more there!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:46 pm

You're so right Tom, Wales is renowned for being wetter than the ocean itself, but on the positive side it is a beautiful lush environment and when the sun does shine we appreciate it all the more.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:49 pm

Send all unwanted rain to me. We're back to drought conditions.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 am

Wales is really beautiful in the rain or sunshine, there is something about the mountains with the clouds all around them.